[Serious] 3D Printed Enclosure Thread

STLs? 10char.

Do you mind sharing which way you orient the objects for printing? I’m fairly new to 3D Printing. Top and bottom seem straightforward but I wasn’t sure how to orient the other items. Thanks!

Did you print these vertically? Thanks.

1 Like

I always print vertically (i.e. stand it up on it’s end). Much stronger that way.

1 Like

Is 3D printing the future of enclosure building?

Nah. It’s nice though

Fiberglass is a much more superior substance in durability and overall multi-directional strength.

To be fair, I would say that 3D printed enclosures came before some of the nicer ones we have today haha

1 Like

I am currenty fiberglass reinforcing that enclosure… should look good and be sturdy.

Stl? Or better yet 3df

Enclosure for a new build using a Lush Throttle deck using Lipos. Currently vacuum wrapped in carbon for the next 48h.

3 Likes

9 Likes

Hello, as @Balta_6 asked for my enclosure files, here is version 1.

I will update this in the coming weeks with an updated design, as light cracks can appear around the bolt holes at the moment. I recommend reinforcing those spots with fiberglass / epoxy.

Part 1 can be printed twice instead of part 4, if you don’t want the holes for the XT90 loopkey, esc switch etc.

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/65930-skateshred-b41-enclosure

4 Likes

Are you all printing these flat bottom, or actually measuring the curvature of the intended deck and modeling to match?

I’ve also considered the brute force method - print flat, tape sand paper to deck, rub until matched (poor man’s match lapping)

1 Like

tl;dr don’t attempt this with your first enclosure, it will eat your soul.

5 Likes

Yes. I can only imagine :weary:

1 Like

does anyone know the hole spacing for the V1 boosted deck? I have one on the way but I have no idea where to place the holes on the encolure. That and Idk what the curvature is like so I just eyeballed it :man_shrugging:

I’d just print solid and drill the holes in later.

An alternative is to print small holes with the printer and use them as a starting point for a correct sized drill bit. Then you don’t need to measure or mark out locations and the drill bit won’t wonder on you. 3D printed objects are easy to drill through as well.

CA Glue and Activator is a great way to quickly join together 3D printed pieces. I also glob it in areas if the 3D print hasn’t worked so well… especially if you going to cover it with fiber glass or carbon fiber.

I did some carbon skinning on expanded PVC as I was struggling with the 3D printer. But I think it’s probably just as easy on a 3D printed object. Maybe a little cleaner than fiberglass? After two coats of epoxy the carbon skinning seems plenty strong for an E Sk8 enclosure.

FWIW, I’ve been using CA glue and activator on the Raft layer to ensure the 3D print bonds with the glass. Cover the glass with blue printers tape first :slight_smile:

I printed this in PETG. Not sure who originally made the STL for it, but I cut it into 3 parts in Shapr3D.

Excuse the messy print, it was a first try on that material and first enclosure I’ve done. I don’t like the gyroid infill artifact that shows on the surface.

Will reprint middle segment.

4 Likes

wich dimensions have your enclosure?

I used photogammetry to make an enclosure that fits the landyachtz switchblade 40 almost perfect and that is pretty sleek. Printed out of 5 segments, lets see how it holds.

13 Likes