[Serious] 3D Printed Enclosure Thread

@privacydoctor(trainingforutopia there), pointed out that there is no thread dedicated to 3D printed enclosures on this forum. So let’s do it. Post the link for the STL files along with a few pics printed and installed on the board.

I’ll start. I made this to go with skateshred bamboo deck(always buy maple decks from them), but it can go with any similar deck. The length can be adjusted by using more or less of segment2 and changing length of segment3(the one in middle)

If you have a large format 3D printer then you can directly print the entire enclosure. Check for the files below.
“enclosure_for_curved_deck.STL”

Files are available at

24 Likes

NEITHER MY DESIGN NOR MY PICS

Designs and pics by Saker( @BlueKing’s friend?)

@lazyzoe’s pics

Files here:

18 Likes

Paging @M.Hboards to post pics of his 3D printed enclosures.

2 Likes

I followed what Dani did here.

@dani

It is my favorite enclosure.

Had to make mine a bit taller.

14 Likes

Some I found not made

@niuva’s design

5 Likes

Was actually just doing some research on this, pretty excited about this thread.

4 Likes

Spud enclosure I made and used (step file as well).

DIY Skateboard Spud Enclosure found on #Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2867594

2 Likes

Printed 3 piece enclosure. Mainly just a mold for epoxying.

3 Likes

Once I finish my project, I will post the stl’s on Thingiverse for those that are interested

5 Likes

Thank you @mishrasubhransu for starting the thread and everyone for the contributions!

I have realized that every time someone mentioned having used a 3D printed enclosure for a long time, it had cracked. Is it a design issue or simply a materials and stress-level issue?

2 Likes

I made a quick and cheap relatively temporary enclosure by 3d printing it in vase mode at around 1.2 mm thick. It took 14 hours as far as I remember, which is relatively quick for something that big. I sanded the surface and then applied fibreglass onto it. Total cost was around £15. Here is a photo of the 3d printed enclosure after sanding but before applying fibreglass:

Im on mobile and can’t find a finished photo, but you can go onto my build thread and see some.

I have around 300-400 miles on it already and it is holding fine, with no cracks, even after a few times hitting the curb or large speed bumps with the enclosure.

EDIT: here is the finished result:

8 Likes

3D print + Fiberglass seems to work. But what’s the advantage over just fiberglass (using wooden mold)?

2 Likes

Depends on the material and also thickness. Also stress level issue, be it supple deck or taking hits on the road.

Depends.

1. If your deck flexes
  2. What material you use. Nylon won’t break.
  3. Is it skinned with glass fiber or not
  4. Is it printed single or in smaller segments that can move independently
  5. How thick the part is to sustain impact from tiny rock hits etc
1 Like

I liked it because it is really low effort to make. You can probably win 0.5-1 mm thickness by using fibreglass over a mold, and by using a negative mold you can get a perfect surface finish too.

2 Likes

I’m definitly more for that ! Or better use complexe print as mold too.

That’s beautiful

1 Like

Trampa VESC6 Dual enclosure

8 Likes

@Lee_Wright, in the forum adjustment thread we talked about how “serious” explains itself better than SRO, so I am changing it back.

2 Likes

ok mate must have missed that! doh!

1 Like