3D Printing Discussions, Questions and Debugging

What are you using for glue?

Using some gorilla glue that says it is equivalent to E6000 which I had some of still and had used in the past with pretty good success on a few things. The glue is a bit like rubber cement but I think a bit more rigid, still has give to it as well. I’ll be adding some duct tape on the inside at least.

@deucesdown Still trying to figure out some sort of strap or something to hide the divide on the outside if I can as well but will post more pics when finishing this up. Regarding the straps thinking ideally I hold them on with nuts on the screws so the load isn’t all going onto the enclosure, I don’t really feel like thats necessary if I have four bolts in each half but will see how things end up spaced out with or without them (have some neoprene foam to fill in any big gaps too)

1 Like

Update things are back to working again and reassembled, probably still add some foam to fill in little gaps on the sides since I still didn’t make the TPU cover quite big enough but I like that it’s a snug fit. I used some nuts to hold the straps on the screws and around the battery so that if the TPU gives out some or entirely the straps should still be holding the battery on with the nuts/screws.

Probably still add duct tape on the inside to reinforce the seam even though each half has 4 screws can’t hurt, also open to ideas of how to cover the seam on the outside.

3 Likes

What do you mean seam? Is that printed in two pieces?

1 Like

Yah easiest to see from the side shots or straight down on the last image in the middle of the black box it was too big for my print bed and printed out of TPU so was slow going so I did it in two parts then glued it together but would maybe like to throw a sticker or something else over that to just cover it up, not terrible looking but just trying to keep things cleaner on this build than my last.

take a look here. This is how I cover the seams.

8 Likes

Nice hadn’t seen this thread I’ll take a look through it, another 3D printed little stripe part might work nice similar to how some are done here thanks!

1 Like

Ok here we go again haha.

I did the estep calibration and corrected both my machines. They were both set to 93 esteps/mm default. Now, one is around 140 and the other 125.

I then printed a 2 wall hollow cube and it measured very close to correct.

Feeling confident, I printed my xyz calibration cube :muscle:

The wall lines specifically are not touching each other on the top faces. You can see it more here.

The 4 wall lines don’t mesh together. My line width is set to 1.3x nozzle size.

Bumping flow rate up while printing helps this issue but my hollow cube test measurements claim flow is, of anything, a smidge too high.

I changed nozzle diameter when this issue started happening. Are there any other settings in cura I might have needed to change when moving from 0.4mm to 0.6mm nozzle? Other than the obvious nozzle diameter value when setting up a printer.

1 Like

What’s the number of walls and infill.

What about the setting “print walls smaller than nozzle diameter”
And also “print small gaps”

1 Like

Wall line count is 2
Infill is 25%
Print thin walls is off
-Fill gaps between walls is set to everywhere
Filter out tiny gaps is off

I made a profile before I posted earlier that has filter out tiny gaps changed to on but haven’t gotten to test it yet.

1.3xnizzle gives you 0.78. please make it 0.8. I think I read somewhere that might cause issues based on how they perform the calculation and the steps of the stepper.

Print thin walls should be on, especially with large nozzles.

Other than that I don’t see why the walls shouldn’t fuse given that they should based on your flow rate calibration.

1 Like

Print thin walls being on seemed to help out a bunch. I didn’t bump nozzle width yet, changing one factor at a time for sanity’s sake.

A bit funny that “print thin walls” being on fixed my issue of walls being too thin :joy:

Thank you for the support!

1 Like

Did you print a heattower (first)? A too low temp can affect wall adhesion etc. Also if you bump up the nozzle size you should increase the temperature as well, as there is more material flowing through at a time. Ideally you do a heat tower for every nozzle size.

Not a bad idea to keep fine tuning. Thanks for the advice

Is it worth trying another slicer? Or maybe @mishrasubhransu can cook a gcode for you for a sanity check?

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind getting another slicer. Cura is OK, not wowing. The print thin lines has really helped a lot though. I will post photos of my xyz cube after showing the improvement.

Prusa’s been making huge improvements to slic3r (forked and renamed Prusa Slicer now). This looks like a good starting point for Ender 3.

3 Likes

Dealing with some nozzle clogging. When I start a print at the moment, it prints with very low extrusion and by the end of the first layer it is barely pushing any filament out.

What do you all do in a situation like this? Just change the nozzle?

Have you tried a cold pull?

Oooh Creality just released a resin printer…

4 Likes