3D Printing Discussions, Questions and Debugging

Actually kept it to 20% infill with the 4 perimeters there are sections it is almost solid with 6 they would have been totally solid but already a long print time as is just praying nothing clogs along the way but will let you all know how it turns out in a few days I guess.

1 Like

You calibrate the esteps first, then you calibrate the flow basically with the same formula, but you print a hollow cube with 2 perimeters and measure exactly how thick the walls come out compared to the set wall thickness. That way you can precisely set the flow rate.
Then I would continue with a retraction test.

1 Like

No. Then you do the hollow cube adjustment so that you get the single wall thickness right. That’s all.

Actually you may just want to clean your nozzle to start with. :joy: Ignore me if you’ve already done so!

4 Likes

Some updates on the print it is still going, T-12hrs till I start the second half hopefully :smiley:

2 Likes

Looking good! Cant wait till i start my TPU prints. Keep us updated!

2 Likes

To be clear, you can do the flow calibration with a single perimeter cube but I would recommend to make it 2 perimeters and divide by 2 in the end so you also test the wall adhesion, it’s more realistic.

2 Likes

You print TPU right on the PC PEI? Can you get it off? I always use blue tape.

Use sd card for long prints, for power panic? :slight_smile:

1 Like

So far it has come off fine the only issue I’ve had with pulling off parts of the print surface was from using PETG. But I had the nozzle too smashed into the bed to get things sticking instead of using some adhesive or higher temp, I’ve found higher temp and keeping it as high as is reasonable and sticking seems to be the way to go though then parts stay in place fine while printing and can be popped off after cooling. Will let you know if I have any issues peeling off this TPU (it’s a steel spring sheet with textured PEI surface, but think a generic one advertised as for MK2.5S but no longer available on Amazon)

Actually to add I’ve also had issues getting nylon off of glass after using PVA to get it to stick on there but that just takes a lot of dissolving in water and occasional scraping and eventually came off without damaging the bed.

1 Like

Oh yah regarding SD card print, power is pretty good here, but was using a pizero W for octopi but slow on there so replacing with a pi 3 but haven’t gotten around to print mounts and hook that up so SD card for now.

1 Like

First half is done :+1: looks good to me, second half is getting started now.

3 Likes

Is that petg?

1 Like

Tpu

2 Likes

Nice that looks damn good for tpu.

1 Like

Update the second half finished :partying_face:

I just glued the two halves together and am letting them dry, luckily my tweaks worked with still having the switch and charge port in roughly the same places (I added a large chamfer up to the lip of the box to make it print with less support material, the TPU support came off surprisingly easy/clean).

I’ll admit my glue job isn’t perfect but I can probably clean things up once it dries and will probably do another bit of filler glue in places where things aren’t perfectly flush on the sides and squeeze it together.

It’s super flexible so sure it won’t crack but will reinforce the seam inside with duct tape and use the cloth straps for stopping the battery from moving substantially.

4 Likes

Plz post photos of the cloth straps when you’re ready, I’m curious!

What are you using for glue?

Using some gorilla glue that says it is equivalent to E6000 which I had some of still and had used in the past with pretty good success on a few things. The glue is a bit like rubber cement but I think a bit more rigid, still has give to it as well. I’ll be adding some duct tape on the inside at least.

@deucesdown Still trying to figure out some sort of strap or something to hide the divide on the outside if I can as well but will post more pics when finishing this up. Regarding the straps thinking ideally I hold them on with nuts on the screws so the load isn’t all going onto the enclosure, I don’t really feel like thats necessary if I have four bolts in each half but will see how things end up spaced out with or without them (have some neoprene foam to fill in any big gaps too)

1 Like

Update things are back to working again and reassembled, probably still add some foam to fill in little gaps on the sides since I still didn’t make the TPU cover quite big enough but I like that it’s a snug fit. I used some nuts to hold the straps on the screws and around the battery so that if the TPU gives out some or entirely the straps should still be holding the battery on with the nuts/screws.

Probably still add duct tape on the inside to reinforce the seam even though each half has 4 screws can’t hurt, also open to ideas of how to cover the seam on the outside.

3 Likes

What do you mean seam? Is that printed in two pieces?

1 Like