3D Printing Discussions, Questions and Debugging

Printed ok for a couple lines but then back to being clogged. Meh

Does the filament curl to one side when it extrudes slowly?

I’d check your extruder gear too to make sure it isn’t loose, cracked, full of plastic dust, etc. Is it binding at all? (clicking annoyingly because it can’t push filament out)

It isn’t clicking at all. I’ll have to check it when I get to work on it next.

It’s very easy to check. If you are manually able to push filament then problem lies at the end of the ptfe tube…

I am pretty sure there is a gap between nozzle and ptfe tube…

Yeah I can’t manually push it out either.

Quickest way is to heat nozzle, remove it. Take PTFE tube out. Cut the end flat. Put the nozzle back but leave a bit of space for final tightening. Push the freshly cut ptfe tube all the way in so that it touches the nozzle. Now tighten the nozzle all the way. This will make sure that the ptfe tube is 100% attached to the nozzle and there is no gap for filament to escape.

There are other better methods but require 3D printed parts.

My favorite way of eliminating it was putting an all metal direct drive extruder. But that’s a lot more complicated.

3 Likes

I literally did this exact process this morning but didn’t have time to see if it fixed my problem. The PTFE tube that I snipped off was pretty burnt and disfigured. Possibly had a hole in it

What temp do you print at? But regardless you should replace it with high temp Capricorn tube. The dark blue one.

I’ll order one. The highest I ever print is 235c for petg

Hmm. Depending on where the thermocouple is positioned sometimes the temperature is not correct.

I have switched to Prusa Slicer for my CR10 direct drive about 1-2 months ago, and I do seem to get slightly better quality with it.

1 Like

It’s the stock ender hotend. Usually it’s pretty accurate I think?

No luck even after doing this and with a fresh nozzle even - still clogs up :confused:

If you took pics then it might be easy to diagnose.

It’s the filament. Fuck this filament lol. All problems went away after changing it

1 Like

Oh really? What filament was it? I have never had a y isuues with any filament. Even the cheapest ones.

Duramic PLA Plus

1 Like

PLA+ need a bit more temp if I remember correctly. Could that be the reason?

Even at 235 I could barely push it thru a .6mm nozzle lol

1 Like

Ffff that. You should caliper the filament diameter to see how inconsistent it is.

1 Like