RC board tank steering for DIY Esk8

We have this thread that discusses the idea but I don’t want EXWAY plastered on what is a discussion of how to DIY

alright. Who’s going to tell us how to hook up the second steering input to the ADC and what to change on the VESC or whatever

I want to do this, sure you can have someone ride the board but some of us are lonely ok?

4 Likes

feel free to just post tons of monster RC car pulling sled videos for inspiration

2 Likes

My kid had this on earlier. Think it counts because he pulled himself with it for a bit :skull:

6 Likes

always thought that might be an idea

for something like spring trucks a small motor attached to each spring which could effectively turn the board for you
i dont know much about programming but maybe with a remote which can be turned in the full 360 degrees and somehow implement it into there

1 Like

Bajaboards can do 360 degree tank turns if that’s what you mean?

3 Likes

whys that? just easier implement my idea on springs

1 Like

Lol no problems with your idea, just everytime I read spring trucks I remember good ol Springy with the ever so innovative anti-wobble springs attached to each side of hanger

5 Likes

??you will have to explain?

3 Likes

You really would want to add a complicated steering system to the trucks instead of doing it with 0 extra parts and just tank steering with software? At that point I would make a dedicated robot/RC car instead of trying to add it onto a esk8.

2 Likes

i guess issue is i have no idea whether rc cars would work if scaled up? what actual turning system do they use?

2 Likes

Uhh rc cars tend to use car steering unless they are models of tanks. A scaled up RC car is just a small car, don’t understand what you don’t get.

4 Likes

ah ok didnt realise
thought maybe they didnt scale up the same. my bad i guess yeah just using car steering would work

1 Like

I guess your idea was ok too though, given mountain board trucks are something people would have. You could make an RC car using one or two of them and take the springs out and put a motor to turn them instead.

That is good because then you only spend money on parts that are also useful for esk8.

You could use the boardnamics AT gear drive for it!

Or you could try to design some full suspension trucks and take the steering and attach it to a servo motor instead of the leaning. That could be useful for riding once reconfigured too.

1 Like

always had an idea for stabilization for mtb boards using tiny stepper motors on each spring which auto adjust you stopping you from tipping over
then somehow after maybe 15 degrees or something you are able to turn by just using your legs

1 Like

LOL good ol spring stabalizer dude from the old days

3 Likes

Ok now I really don’t understand that idea. So motors on all 4 of the springs on the trucks and they do what? Increase pressure at high speed?

For stability you should just use urethane bushings and steering regular dampers instead.

1 Like

for speed wobbles they make micro adjustments very quickly and that stops the board from tilting to either side and you losing control

1 Like

I actually found that thread on the old forum the other day, their website is now a weird scam so I had to report it to @onloop to remove the links.

3 Likes

Haha crazy idea I don’t think adjusting the tension on the truck’s sides is a good way to go about that. The more traditional steering dampers are definitely the way to go.

1 Like