Problem with Slick Revolution/iWonder Cloud Wheels (SERIOUS)

Hey all-

Since it appears that there are some real issues with the core quality on these wheels, please make an informed decision on whether or not you decide to buy/ride them. More information can be found here at the tail end of this thread:

The riders affected have reached out to iWonder with good results, so we may see an actual solution from them. Hopefully it’s a switch to a Kegel core or a big leap in core design of some kind.

A few photos:

14 Likes

Is this a big issue with just press fit type pulleys or bolt on pulleys as well? Longer pins should have much more even pressure (and using all 6 holes rather than 3)

3 Likes

Hard to say, as the wheel with the torched core was used with a pulley for a bit then rotated to the front where it shredded itself.

3 Likes

Should be noticed both happen in very cold/freezing weather. May play a factor here.

7 Likes

Looks to me like a cheap core.
Brittle plastic in a spongey wheel. If you have a very soft outer wheel then the core needs to also have some flex. When the wheel can move laterally around the core on corners then the bearing seats need to be able to deal with that movement.

Kegels for the win.

Only reason i have never even considered a set of foamies.

7 Likes

I second this. If you are having core failure issues it would be helpful to mention the pulley used.

2 Likes

Why? Pneumatic tires can move laterally too and you can mount those to aluminum rims. Don’t see the correlation between wheel and core. The core stays put, the wheel can flex all it wants…

2 Likes

You get movement on all sections of the wheel.
Its plastic it moves. If its brittle it will break.
The takeaway here is probably just cheap plastic.

1 Like

Could also be bad tolerance. The foamies are the tightest fitting bearing I’ve ever seen. On every set of 608 bearings I’ve tried that fits in other wheels with medium pressure, I’ve had to put all my weight on one bearing to pop it out. That’s a lot of expansion pressure the core is dealing with before it even gets weight on it.

5 Likes

Absolutely

The bearing and spacer set is the only solid in a wheel set up. Its absolutely fixed if correctly installed. The core being a softer material will move around this fixed point and i am talking laterally as in hard corners etc. The weaker the core and the softer and usually grippier thane will cause higher stress on said core. Lets not beat around the bush because these are cheap wheels and they use cheap materials so they can be cheap.
Hopefully they get it sorted though because its a really cool idea.

2 Likes

Yeah except they sell for roughly same price as TB110 and ABEC 107s soooo. If they were like $50 a set I’d absolutely agree.

3 Likes

That says more about slick revolution and iwonder than it does the quality

Ali fu my young brother.

5 Likes

Yup, saw some on reddit too. Broken core

2 Likes

Was using a 40 tooth bolt on pulley

2 Likes

Does anyone know of failure that happened without the wheel being used with any pulleys, especially bolt on?

1 Like

Iant the one in the first photo of this thread an example of that?

Nope, it was on the pulley wheel for a long time and rotated to the front. Then it failed shortly after the rotation. Not speculating but it’s a little suspect to me.

1 Like

I was nit aware of this. @rafaelinmissouri, did you notice anything when you switched them?

1 Like

No. But I was not closely inspecting them looking for cracks either.

3 Likes