Problem with Slick Revolution/iWonder Cloud Wheels (SERIOUS)

Its a Bones bearing made in China (??) Yeah, the bearing seat (ring) exploded with the pressure. But… what surprises me is the abuse that core received in other parts like the hub exterior edge! it looks like the wheel went to war!! Like a 5th tour in Irak or something!!

Something grinded that exterior hub edge with fierce force :roll_eyes: and it has nothing to do with the bearing being tight or the hub’s bearing seat. No. That hub received more abuse that a simple bearing ring exploding by bearing pressure.

4 Likes

Is that not common wear due to the way the drive wheels lay?

1 Like

Yeah, but what grinded that hub edge? This tells me that the same force that grinded and schreded the hub’s edge is the same culprit for the bearing seat ring exploding under the bearing pressure. Some exterior force (the same one that grinded the hub’s edge) was the same force that caused the bearing ring to explode, either by impact, grinding or sheer pressure.

That wheel was treated badly. This is not an isolated case of material stress or overpressured hub bearing seat.

I cant remember if in that picture that’s the first wheel or 2nd. When I switched wheels out I was concerned that maybe this was due to over tightning of the bolt in drive wheel. So I made sure not to do so. Same grinding/wear.

No. Nothing against you but those artifacts, plus the marks on the other failed wheel is why I’m looking for failure that has not been touched by pulley. It is my belief that the abec core is not strong enough to handle the forces of a bolt on pulley. I consider them press-fit designed only.

4 Likes

…and a press fit pulley with LONG sprockets! That should be the way. Don’t know why manufacturers keep fabricating short pulleys sprockets? A longer sprocket will spread tension in the hub much better.

Why they dont fabricate longer sprockets able to cross the center hub all the way to the other side? Most sprocket only fit half way inside the hub. The other half hub is not touched by the shorter sprocket :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Needs more nylon and less bubbles. Rushed pour.

2 Likes

Yeah this. Although I wonder how much force is really translated after accounting for the flex of the sprockets, I feel like most forces will still translate to the edge closer to the pulley. I have yet to have a problem with my loose-ass fitting pulleys either

1 Like

Although I wonder how much force is really translated after accounting for the flex of the sprockets, I feel like most forces will still translate to the edge closer to the pulley.

Yes, that precisely. All the sprocket force is applyed to the edge closer to the pulley. Only half the hub receives the force and thats why, I’m affraid, that most hub bearing seat rings explode under the bearing pressure. The wheel’s outside hub bearing dont receive as much pressure from the sprockets over the exterior bearing ring, like the inside one does!

1 Like

yeah I’ve seen this too. doesn’t look the best tbh

2 Likes

Is always on the inside bearing! :roll_eyes: Particular attention we should put to the sprockets lenght. If they are shorter that could be the reason.

1 Like

I agree that a press fit pulley would be a better suit for this wheel.
I tried searching here and on the old forum to see if there had been such a case with other wheels. Couldn’t find anything.
If this wheel’s core cant take the abuse from using a bolt on pulley will it take the general abuse of vibration and impacts?

Much different. The spokes are thin and radial, in a straight line they can take much more pressure than in an angular or lateral direction. Not only that, but since the wheels are bigger, people will run bigger pulleys, which means more torque is transferred to the core with a bigger wheel, even when the core is identical. On top of a round wheel adding more stress etc etc, this core is pushed much harder in use than others do. A bolt on pulley + cold weather might be just what it takes to push it over the edge.

1 Like

Update.
I had not checked this before…
One of my Zealous bearings I had taken out of the cloud wheels was totally seized up.
I can’t say for sure it was from the front wheel that broke.

9 Likes

Oooh… more to this investigation! Were these bearings used for a long time? Ie transferred or new?

9 Likes

The bearings were not new… Not super old…

1 Like

Jesus. Sorry for the roller coaster… The seized up bearing was not on the wheel that broke… I just saw it those bearings are still in the a board and they are fine…

4 Likes

What is the distance between bearings?

It looks like around 10mm. Is it normal on a skatewheel ?

1 Like

Correct, bearing spacers for wheels are 10mm give and take

2 Likes