Power Traverse - electric snowboard

4 Likes

Tip when fighting current in connectors is just to mutiply number of connectors to divide the current. You can look at some of amphenols high current snapon connectors. Theyre pricey tho, but those are the most compact i know that is super reliable. Else just stay with the usual AMAS ones and multiply them for your needs.

You’re always going to have shit efficiency in hub motors for high current applications, especially in start-up. Given your thermal circumstances you might be able to pull it off tho. Sounds bit like a Snow melting machine :smiley:

Just to be clear, you can maintain rpm by changing kv of the motor and compensate with gearing, depending in what spectrum of motor you want most efficiency i’d do some quick calculations of it might be worth while or not. I realised weight and size is a factor here, but a gearbox dsnt need to be huge to work. That pack Will definatly still be the biggest chunk on there :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

We divide 8awg wire to 4mm bullets @ the Trampa but with this application we have only the wire between the rider and the motor. A clean disconnect seems ideal. We plan to pour polyurethane boots on the connectors so they last. I don’t want to get stuck 20 miles out -20C

We tried multiple bullets but when crashed they yanked out. Hours have been spent in the snow trying to arrange them properly.

As to the gearbox we have felt 2400rpm and dont want to drop it :slight_smile:

If we can’t get the DD to work we will add planetary interchangeable gears.

1 Like

*Normally connectors are designed to lock. We need a break-away connector that won’t break when yanked.

1 Like

Does it have a spot for a temperature wire also?

Are these for sale?

Can they be locked also if desired, even if with cable tie?

check out these guys

2 Likes

They are currently 5 pin but could be 6 pin. (Thought to put them on amazon)

They do lock but the lock has a 50 degree tab vs 90 degree, so it take some force to lift over.

1 Like

I will buy some of those today if they showed up on amazon.

2 Likes

We built these batteries to learn what we are doing. It’s a lot of labor to build them. We won’t be able to keep up. We’ll be contacting these guys for sure. The goal will be to hire locals in Mammoth to assemble batteries once we figure shit out. We will promote DIY with some spec guidelines.

We are in the traction business.

3 Likes

Are the data pins water resistant also, or just the power pins?

1 Like

We are making a boot mold to pour the back of them sealed in polyurethane. I want to be able to literally yank them and not effect the terminals.

The data wires are not sealed inside the plug only the current. (We use a common deutsch seal)

The 3 XT150 provide a snug fit.

We spent over a week on broken prototypes… I am sure we will need to tweak them with a few more revisions.

Imgur

6 Likes

Imgur

13 Likes

money_gun2

2 Likes

6 data pins would be a lot better though :wink:

not a dealbreaker for me

2 Likes

think I can change a 5 to a 6 in the cad file :wink:

I’ll make you a few when I know they work. (The internals on the JST terminals are a pain to reverse engineer)

1 Like

Imgur

Due to supply issues overseas we decided to take control of the motor design.

The goal is 7-8Kw 60-120V waiting on electrical engineers to provide more data…

9 Likes

Please read through this thread if you’re going to make high output packs. I wouldn’t keep this battery you built inside of my garage let alone my house

3 Likes

If you read this thread Jack you would see that this was already appropriately addressed and that they are now outsourcing it

Besides, it’s not that insane. It’s not great but it’s not that much of a fire hazard compared ot others we’ve seen

1 Like

Why?

They my not be the prettiest spot welds but the parallel groups are insulated & taped. Do you see a short?

They will get hit with new spot welder on Thursday.

That said. We have been in contact with some of the battery vendors listed here.

When we say we need 20 packs a week they laugh. The last pack took 4 weeks to get 1.

We are already in progress getting custom nickel plates cut for our packs and working on all the little things to make the packs look pretty.

We have been given links to some nice packs and will work to come up with a safe process.

Feedback is welcome especially on batteries.

1 Like

20 packs a week could be exceeding the combined throughput of all the battery builders here on all continents, all put together :rofl:

4 Likes