Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Did you end up using the DD AT wheel adapters?

Lol you are basically describing my last build Dusk. 12s4p Molicel p42a on a hummie deck with Avio MK2 gear drives and bergs. 35mph max speed, 20mi max range. Rode like a dream.

I would avoid the outdated hardware, lack of technical support, and ethical conflicts swirling around Unities, and go for the makerx. Ive heard good things about it. Or TB6’s, if they will fit in the hummie.

Check your gear ratios for this, but I would stick with the stock berg tires for efficiency purposes if you want to get the most range out of this build.

2 Likes

Probably an easy question to answer: Can you fit 2 xx55/xx54 motors on a Caliber II truck with 15mm belts?

A slightly less easy to answer question: what are cheap C-II motor mounts? my goal is around $20 each, similar to my current front runner: dickyho’s mounts. However I prefer the shape and style of other mounts. Are there mounts for that price?

Edit: this is in planning for a near future build. I unfortunately do not have the cash to buy from others right now :frowning:

Thank you! Do you have any pictures? And how did it do off road?

Boardnamics Caliber II mounts are solid. I think they come with an option for an idler as well which is cool. $25 each.

That one is going to be hard. It’s difficult to get certain mounts on OG C-II trucks as it is, let alone two. Maybe 5055’s, but I doubt you’ll be able to get 6355’s on there. Not sure tho. I’ve firsthand seen someone try to get 2 6374’s on those trucks and it absolutely did not work

2 Likes

I’ve managed to get 2 flipsky 6354’s on a set of 184 cal II with 15mm belts. But there’s only around 2-4 mm of clearance between the motor cans.

and second on the boardnamics mounts; the idler versions are great

5 Likes

I stand corrected. Nicely done getting those on there, looks great

1 Like

Wow, that’s a tight squeeze! do you think that there would be juust enough room for 5055s? I am trying to maximize price to performance and I will not be pushing more than 1250 watts per motor so I don’t know if the extra money is worth it. Time will only tell though.

If it is not possible, how much of a loss in torque to you get from 12mm belts? I would be willing to lose the 3mm if it is not detrimental to torque transfer. Belts last long enough and are cheap enough if the only trade off is durability. I will only be running a 10s2p 40T pack so power isn’t extreme.

I think so; you might be cutting it really close though, so I wouldn’t risk it. I think if you have bolt on pulleys though you might have a better chance of getting them on

I’m not sure if thinner belts means less torque transfer, but more so that they might wear out faster/are more likely to snap. But dont quote me on that

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I thought the difference was. I’d love to see what people know about this. In the meantime, I will search the forum some more for the answer. remember the days where everyone used 9mm belts? They look so tiny now :joy:

Thanks for the help and sorry for being a smartass lmao

Edit: found a very outdated post so I would still like to see if knowledge on the topic has advanced at all…

1 Like

Glad i could help :slightly_smiling_face:

yeah anything smaller than 10mm is tinnyyyy

1 Like

Didnt do a whole lot of off-roading. Dusk was definitely a road warrior. But packed dirt and grass was no problem.

The biggest problem with taking a longboard deck off road is not the tires you have, or even the torque, usually. Its the lack of bindings. If you are going over rough terrain, it doesnt matter if you even have 8" wheels. If you dont have bindings, you run the risk of getting bounced off the board.

5 Likes

Beautiful board! Looks fantastic. That’s kinda what I was thinking in terms of off roading, will probably stay to street and grass haha. Thanks so much!

1 Like

Also looked like you used the berg tires, did you have any issues with those for street riding? I’ve heard mixed things

1 Like

Never had an issue! I absolutely love bergs, and I swear by them. Grip is excellent, ride quality, efficiency, etc. Everything is awesome.

I heard all the same things you have heard about them getting flats, so I slimed my tubes as soon as I got them. Never had a flat in over 500 miles.

There have been some quality control issues on some batches of tubes and tires. The second set of bergs I ordered this summer (and never used) had some issues with the tires. They were pretty much all warped, and I can imagine that being the cause of the wobbling at high speed that some people complain about.

So basically what im saying is that quality control is everything lol.

2 Likes

Haha gotcha. Thanks for the advice man, I really appreciate it! Currently deciding between TB110 (artic blue ofc) and bergs. Currently leaning towards 110’s because of availability (where tf can you even buy bergs? haggyboard site is still down) but bergs are just so damn sexy

Yeah he is in between warehouses and supply chains as he is moving from Taiwan to Spain(?). He has been off the radar since his liquidation sale in the summer. Really hoping he comes back soon and comes back swinging.

Yes they are :drooling_face: and the ride quality is miles better than any urethane.

1 Like

Hmmm ok, if anyone sees this and has a pair of blue/gray/black bergs + tires they wanna sell, PM me :eyes:

1 Like

They’re not designed for large pneumatics. They allow for switching between thane and bergs easily (on typical 170/190kv motors) which I like a lot. Imo you could run them wihh larger tyres in the future when surfnacho produces his kegel core hubs (with lower kv motors), I plan to do this hence the 149kv motors which gears more for ~35mph on Bergs and I think ~40 on something like trampas 6.5inch Street tyres, or course the trade off being torque as you increase! With 170/190kv motors, I don’t think you can go much past a berg without creating torque issues.

Yes

@Boardnamics has you covered

2 Likes