Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Continuing the discussion from Noob question thread! 2020_Summer:

Hello
Wondering if anyone knows what could this be?
Already check everything but the clicking noise only happens when accelerating with load. Everything looks ok.

Okay, so the way I understood things the high KV high gear ratio motor would be the most efficient, provided your ESC can take the erpm.

but it you scroll up a bit you’ll see that I am a total noob, so take with a grain (or bucket) of salt

1 Like

Under most circumstances, the difference between these will probably be small enough to be unnoticeable - at most a 2.2km/h difference isn’t even 5%.

Generally with the types of motors we use, and the speeds we drive them to, and the battery voltages we run, the 190KV motors are a bit more efficient and thus can deliver a bit more power, and the higher gearing helps with smooth startups under load and on hills and such.

That said, a 190KV motor at 12s results in a maximum ERPM above the maximum safe limit for v4.x vesc or vesc-derivative hardware, so you should stick with v6.x hardware.

2 Likes

Its okay if we software limit the erpm on 4.x hardware right? IIRC that number is 60k>. I think I set my Xenith to 55k or 50k just to be safe.

2 Likes

190Kv. You will have less heat in the motor and less zero-rpm cogging / sensor issues.

1 Like

Don’t adjust those “maximum erpm” numbers because it disables your brakes above that. That’s really more for airplane / propeller use. (“cut my throttle and brakes above speed X”) You should adjust the duty cycles instead.

Well, frying the ESC would also disable brakes, so he should do both :laughing: :+1:

No, you should not lower the maximum erpm number from the default for esk8 use. Read the duty cycle stuff I linked, and you can set a limit that doesn’t cut your brakes off.

If you are making an aircraft, the maximum erpm would be a lot more useful.

1 Like

I guess you’re right that limiting max duty cycle would render the ERPM limit useless, but I don’t see the harm in setting that to be at the hardware limits anyway.

1 Like

Is there a way to set a minimum start speed in the vesc tool? So you have to push first and only then the throttle works?

1 Like

How do I attach Hobbywing motors to a vesc they have this weird 9pin connector

Hello everyone, I’m alive. So. Few questions to ask. Finally got my carbon fiber situated, based on the size of the deck. 11 (width) 44 (length) is two cups of epoxy and one cup hardener good enough for the two layers? Another one is, what’s more safer. I’m using unidirectional so is the sand / cutting easier then traditional carbon fiber? And I won’t have to worry about the dust as people have said in some threads, is wet sanding necessary?

always worry about the dust

2 Likes

What’s the best way to minimize it

Do as little cutting and sanding on finished carbon as possible.

Cut using a saw or oscillating tool rather than grinding disc

Can wet the area to keep dust down (careful water & power no good together also)

Wear FULL ppe and don’t do this in your bedroom :joy:

Probably lots of other clever ideas

1 Like

You think I can trim the shape of the board before adding the epoxy (assuming the most dust is after the curing process) or just use a jigsaw all the way afterwards. Could do it outside so using nature as an idea. Direction of wind + cutting + carrying dust away = happy lungs :joy: :+1:

Respirator = safer for the lungs

2 Likes

Don’t cut it down beforehand. Cut edges fray unless you masking tape first and the cut on the tape.

You need to cut excess off board in both cases so just do it once it’s cured.

If you’re skinning, and fabric at edges is pulled tight down, you can use a metal file to run over the cured cf on edges of the deck, like you do with grip tape until you file through the cf layer. Dusty but easyish. Then rip off the excess and leave the board looking mint :ok_hand:

1 Like

Thats true. Might need to upgrade the mask i currently wear for woodworking for the carbon. Probably won’t help much. I don’t have nozzles for the epoxy + hardener so how much you think will be needed? (btw I got the Raka Epoxy) was the next best thing against West Systems. Scored on CF also, didn’t get the Aliexpress one. Works. So cutting with a blade after curing isn’t needed. Just a file and it comes off like paper

Huh?
What are nozzles?
Suggest you read info about the epoxy you are using. It will have correct ratio listed.

1 Like