Motor voltage and motor RPM discussion

I was running it at a max of 11,000 RPM… it runs close to 10k at 12s

This is all under 80k erpm in vesc. Perfectly safe.

Voltage rating doesn’t tell me anything about the motor limit. The only negative from running higher voltage is higher RPM, and as long as I’m within RPM limit of the motor and the limits of the vesc, then I’m fine

2 Likes

I don’t know much about motors, but I’m sure there is more to consider then rpm limits

1 Like

False, at some point you have so much core losses that your motor will heat up a lot even if the currents are low, a TB 6380 at the Kv you are running definitely falls into that category

3 Likes

This is… not true.

6 Likes

Yeah, seems he is ignoring some important factors

That isn’t false at all, haha. You just confirmed what I said. The only concern of higher voltage is higher RPM. You said higher rpm can cause core losses, which is very true. Again, you confirmed what I said.

Da fuck?

Whether manufacturers are conservative as fuck with voltage ratings, that’s on them, however, there’s a long empirically defined, tradition of voltage “ratings (limits)” within electronics and analogue electrical components. It’s not just “feel good” bullshit.

Voltage isn’t just some arbitrary factor that you spit out a number that sounds reasonable. Even though amperage goes down for a given wattage, doesn’t mean higher voltage can just be freely explored (absolutely the opposite). Just go grab your fuckin spark plugs while pulled from a cylinder and hooked up to your ignition with a rubber glove not rated for 20-30k volts to see wtf I’m talking about. Lets not even talk about HEI.

You’re disparaging lack of safety of the stormcores, while being so cavalier about this?

3 Likes

Yes, yes it is… Increasing the voltage doesn’t really affect anything aside from providing higher RPM. RPM increases, then things can heat up, bearings can become stressed, the CAN tolerances can be messed up… etc etc etc

Remember folks, voltage doesn’t create these changes, the difference in RPM is what does it :blush:

So your contention is that the only thing affecting heat, is RPM? I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt in assuming you mean frictional losses. No accounting for resistance then?

So…you fucked up on a beta unit by testing with exaggerated variables…and it’s the company’s fault for not predicting someone would risk their life during a beta run?

1 Like

Off the sawyer topic, what’s the average motor temp for basic riding?

1 Like

Yeah, I gave an exaggerated example to make a point sure, however, let me give you a metaphor everyone can get with;

Why on earth would chinese equipment manufacturers notorious for overstating the capabitilies and specs of their products, so heavily underspec if what you’re saying is true? Are you simply more informed or intelligent than their entire industry that thrives on being excessively liberal with their numbers?

1 Like

Nope. Not even sure what you’re getting at…

I said higher voltage = higher RPM

and with higher RPM come additional variables… You have to worry about additional heat build-up from the motor not running as efficiently at higher RPMs, or the bearings spinning too fast for their rating, or the CAN rpm affecting the CAN tolerances… etc etc etc

The voltage doesn’t bring those variables in to play. The RPM does…

If you really actually care to understand the voltage limits of the designs of these motors, research core and coil saturation.

This is a physical limitation of the potential flux within a given coil winding of a specific configuration and wire diameter. The math for inductance of these coils is pretty well fleshed out.

2 Likes

I’m very aware, thank you. Again, going from 50v to 75v isn’t the same as going to hundreds or thousands of volts my guy…Obviously there is true voltage limit, however with voltages this low, that limit is FAR from sight…

Sure, but you do realize, that the factual voltage “spec” of these motors is 12 or 24 volts right, and we’re pushing them to 48v (nominal) already?

1 Like

I wanna be clear when I say; I’m not arguing against what you’re saying “fundamentally”, just the context and the way you’re saying it.

If we have to disagree because of the specifics, I’m ok with that, but no beef on my end.

2 Likes

These sound like speed target PID tuning issues.

1 Like

My ten cents to the discussion.

I don’t want to use ERPM value here, since it is derived from both system voltage and current speed.

High voltage creates higher magnetic fields, right? Wrong. Current creates these fields. But at the same wattage, higher voltage creates shorter bursts of current.

Voltage limits of the motor can be split into 3 major groups:

• breaking through insulation
  • satturation (limit on the magnetic field)
  • higher maximum speed, which leads to the higher loads and wear of the bearings e.t.c.

First one is definitely not the case, because it can happen only at significantly higher voltages than 18s.

Third one is actually user preference. You pay motor wear for lower currents before fets of the esc. Your personal choice.

Second one is the thing to be concerned about. Esc creates pwm which is significantly more frequent than phase changes. So if the saturation happens, it happens at every moment. So it creates short bursts in motor windings with different duty cycle, depending on speed (or rpm/erpm). So at maximum speed you achieve ~95% of duty cycle if current limit does not come to the game. That means that esc will push ~motor_max current to the windings, and that is the moment when things become interesting. What creates motor move? Magnetic flux. And what leads to the satturation? Excessive magnetic flux. And you know what? It is proportional to the current. And current limit comes to the game. Our escs are not just three-phase AC sockets. They control everything. And limit the current. So with the higher voltage, esc chops the output at the moment, when average current reaches desired value from the throttle. So, in my opinion, if current is set up properly, and erpm limit is within the adequate range, motor saturation won’t take place.

I am not the best EE, and don’t pretend to be the motor expert, but what I’m sure about is that classics of the electricity science are not suitable for esk8 application. Wish everyone to have personal opinion on this topic and don’t rely on the science if the magic of the esc is involved. Have a good day, everyone :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a 100D and parts for a 16s4p build. I was planning on using some Trampa 118kv 6374 motors on a 4:1 helical gear drive. Is this gonna work?

5 Likes