Let there be ESK8 lights

The upgrade is not as much as I thought, but still enough to make it worthwhile.

These are meant to be seen not light up the whole world.

4 Likes

Made those combined pulley covers/backlights with a small ppm (tried uart first but I’m not good at coding) controller/converter PCB for braking a few month back, work well to be seen and let cars/bikes now you are braking (decelerating actually, it just gets dimmer when accelerating )

10 Likes

Does anyone here have experience with logic level mosfets that would handle our battery voltage for switching lights?

@JoeyZ5 has some interesting stuff in progress right now

2 Likes

Backfire’s page for the lights they sell is hilarious. They have a video review on the sales page which concludes by saying how shitty they are and that you shouldn’t buy them.

Xlite100 Smart Tail Light for Backfire Electric Longboard (backfireboardsusa.com)

4 Likes

“Disclaimer: below video is not sponsored by Backfire. We believe it is an informative review from a customer and helpful to explain how to install and use the tail lights. (The break sensor issue mentioned in the video could be isolated case)”

:joy:

1 Like

I have a bunch of these lights, super cheap on AliExpress. They’re pretty meh but are serviceable enough for the purposes of being visible at night. Brake sensor is very touch and go for me, sometimes it works flawlessly and sometimes it freaks out.

2 Likes

I ended up ordering these off ebay for $17 each. I’ll report back on how they are.

6 Likes

You know, there’s a version with a truck mount instead of that bicycle seat mount.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msXotqw

1 Like

I’m putting it on lacroix mounts, so I’m throwing away the bike seat mount part.

3 Likes

I have these. The automatic braking isn’t 100% perfect but it works well enough. I lost one on a ride once, it stormed all night, and I went back and found the light the next morning and it still worked.

5 Likes

I got one in bar form: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801183744532.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.55.2d991802bu8Cso&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

FYI.

how’d you go about mounting it?

2 Likes

I got a kicktail by the way.

1 Like

How did you do the kicktail light?

It’s not a light per se. I just made the tail puck out of translucent plastic.

The tail puck is a wear item; I expect it to get scratched and worn down eventually. In which case, I can just make a new one easily and cheaply. I can also use any light (within reason) with it. Clear plastic, sanded to smoky and it will diffuse light into the width of the puck.

6 Likes

I got these lights off amazon to replace my broken stock lacroix lights (thank you to the seller for shipping the board with zero packaging)

These lights are fantastic. They are bright, have a bunch of light modes, and the automatic brake function works well. I compared them to the rockbros brake lights, and these are brighter.

Anyway, they are 50% off right now at $12.50 each, so go snag some if you need brake lights.

Amazon.com : BSSOK Smart Bike Tail Light | Ultra Bright Bicycle Brake Light | Bicycle Rear Lights | Super Sensitive Auto On/Off | USB Rechargeable IPX6 Waterproof | Night Riding Red Safety Warning Back Light : Sports & Outdoors

5 Likes

Are the battery runtimes listed by the seller accurate in your experience?

I can report back how many miles required to the first charge. I’ve been using them in day riding too, because there’s a lot of cars around here.

1 Like