LACROIX Stormcore ESC and iOS app info

I haven’t been told to show up at the shop yet

2 Likes

I imagine there are units leftover from batch #1, so they’re sending those out.

2 Likes

Nice!

Have you tried it against a 100D yet? I wanted to know if you could get enough power from the 5v rail on the CAN port.

It may be just a problem to do with iLogger or indeed just my Stormcore, but the iLogger did not have enough power to completely boot. However using the 5v from UART was not a problem(but obviously is if I want to use the port for another option!).

So any experience here from anyone else trying a CAN-port powered accessory on Stormcore?

oh that’s interesting, there’s a 10 Ohm resistor in series on the 5V pin of the CAN bus connector on the stormcore. That resistor is in place for 4WD application to safely connect two 5V rails together for simultaneous bootup with one button.

R101 is the 10 Ohm resistor, could try to remove it and put a short on it or a 0 ohm resistor

on the TOP side, just left of the CAN connector, remove the two long screws on the front, then you should be able to press on the plastic shroud to unclip it. If it’s still not coming, loosen the 4 bottom screws, the plastic shroud should come off

3 Likes

Ah-ha I was wondering the wheres and whys of that resistor, plausible that the ampacity is too low with the resistor in place.

Subject to not reaming my warranty, I promise somewhat tidy-ish & efficient soldering lolz

Thanks Charles

1 Like

Yes, we have tried it and it works. Bioboards are also using Metr Pro CAN + 100D

Potential pitfall for DAVEGA CAN @janpom

5 Likes

Wouldn’t it be smart to label the connector to something else than “5V” when the voltage is highly dependent on the current draw?
I just googled the current consumption on an ESP32 that the iLogger uses and I found 240mA in transmit mode. Makes sense that the module does not work when the voltage drops from 5V down to 2,6V.

3 Likes

Yeah I need to sit down and put together a lot more documentation really

4 Likes

Bump

Anyone gotten a reply from customer service about needing that second uart? Radio silence for me.

4 Likes

There’s so many people upset about the same issue that I’m skeptical they’re going to do anything at all. Even if they didn’t need the second uart, everyone will want the updated version. Not sure lacroix is big enough to take that hit. Maybe so, as I have not seen the financial statements to validate my theory.

The first release NIB stormcore’s are taking a 25% or more of a reduction to price to be sold on secondary markets. Not sure if it’s due to the uart, competitive products, or if people are generally souring on it. Either way, I wish I hadn’t jumped on one at the release or had known about the uart issue at min.

8 Likes

Yeah just hoping based off of them saying to message them and they’d try and resolve it. It would really be disheartening to not be able to fully use the device’s capabilites that were marketed.

I’m not expecting a straight up swap as I’ve been using the device still… just not to the extent I was planning.

3 Likes

Just buy the 60D Plus! New and improved! (i.e. fully functioning!)

2 Likes

As far as product launches go, everything was in peoples hands in a timely fashion, the mistake has been explained, and we have said we will handle those affected as soon as possible. For 60D this will be quite soon 100D will take a bit longer. Bit unfair to characterize a stormcore with its third uart port working as not fully functioning when your skate will still definitely work without whatever extra accessory you wanted. I understand the annoyance of the situation but I think we can get this solved for those who need it without a huge fuss.

Sorry, I think this is just a case of the solution isn’t in place yet so probably handling and addressing the CS issues with solutions is coming first. Could do a better job of communicating, but it will get handled within a couple weeks.

Speculation above is not accurate, LaCroix is built around selling complete skateboards not parts. There is infinitely more capital tied up in building completes than controllers. We love to see what you guys make with the controllers and want to keep offering premium components to this community, but it’s really not ever likely to go beyond a small side income since there just aren’t that many people with the skills required to DIY an eskate. The relationship is mutually beneficial here as we get a lot of testing and feedback from the community and it leads us to building better boards. Just understand the reason we price a little more is so we can keep everyone taken care of, not because we are trying to extract some huge profit from the community. It allows us to keep this operation worth the attention it requires, and when issues like this come up we can get everyone taken care of without putting us in trouble.

21 Likes

Cheers Jeff.
Comprehensive answer as always.
Just as quick question. As regards waiting for an extra uart for the 100d. (And perhaps the 60d)
Should we hold fire and wait for an answer here or send an email? What is the process you’d like everyone to follow? Or, where should we be forming the orderly queue?

1 Like

Yeah =\

Realistically, a different level of service comes when you buy a $4-6k complete vs a $500 controller.

1 Like

It shouldn’t be the kind of thing you need to get in line for but if you reach out through support@lacroixboards.com we will have a record of the interaction and that should be enough. It never hurts to ping again if you hear news that it’s time and we haven’t reached out. We still need to get some of these systems more streamlined I think.

4 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply. As I said, it’s not stopping me from riding so life is still fine.

Maybe I misunderstood answers by some above…

Are there currently 2 functional and separate uart ports on the earlier batches of 60d stormcores or only 1?

Internal one on the bluetooth module, realized this was probably confusing.

4 Likes

Lol, so if I have a 4wd set up, would it be possible or even a good idea to desolder one of the ble modules from one stormcore so i can solder my davega to those pins? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

lol. Really threw me off with the 3 statement. Had to go upstairs and grab the 100D to make sure I wasn’t losing my mind.

2 Likes