Voyage Systems: Megan and Minnie

this needs to be a minimum standard for everything that uses uart

4 Likes

Stormcore 100d?

@frame didn’t you need to get 5v from another pin to get your metr to work?

3 Likes

yes, i took the 5v pin from the UART3 port since that’s the cloest for me

4 Likes

Correct, but my phone isn’t seeing anything labeled as Minnie or new.

That’s via the 2 apps and from iOS bluetooth list.

Yes, on multiple multiple metrs used on this phone. I actually started removing some from my iOS list.

No signal blocking since it was in direct sight line of each other. IE open board.

Does this not function like the metr can from previous generation? I had a metr can hooked up to this like 2 weeks ago and it read fine.

I also see it flashing lights in as well.

1 Like

I actually dont know what’s going with my stormcore, but when I use the 5v pin on the normal(?) Uart port, the one in line with the rest of the jst port, my metr doesn’t wanna behave, when I use a different pin it magically just works without issue, so idk :man_shrugging:t2:

edit: oops, i meant canbus port

2 Likes

The 5V pin issue is likely the root cause here. Thanks @xsynatic for reminding me. Here’s more context:

Minnie and Megan both use ESP32, which is more power hungry than Metr’s NRF chip (it also has more features).

We need to better document this at our website/eshop.

5 Likes

So I’ll want to branch my cables out for can H and L to canbus then power and ground onto my uart?

1 Like

Yes, you can do it that way. GND can remain in the CAN port if that’s easier. You will want to unpin the 5V wire from the JST connector and put it in a new connector that you then plug into the UART port. (8P JST-PH connector is ideal but if you don’t have 8P, a lower P can also be plugged in.)

Just in case you forgot… are you developing a bike handle-bar mount for megan? I believe @DuckBatterySystems wanted one, and so do I now :sweat_smile:

Maybe we could create a baseplate that mates with some existing universal handlebar mount. Does anyone have a favorite?

Would something like this be good? Then we just need the correct thread in the baseplate.

4 Likes

I fear the screen might constantly be rotating if it’s a single bolt solution like that :thinking:

Maybe a rail mount or go-pro mount would be better?

My Manfrotto tripod baseplate has the same system. If you tighten the screw, it’s very solid. It doesn’t move. I can order one of these and test with my camera.

GoPro mount would also work but it would require a more complicated baseplate.

Maybe something like this? (Ignore the orange phone mounting part)
A thin plate mounted onto the headset of the handlebar. Would be universal for all bikes and won’t come loose ^^

Comes as a GoPro mount version too

3 Likes

How many vibrations per second does your tripod experience? :laughing:

2 Likes

That mount is specifically designed for bikes so I imagine vibrations is something that has been taken into account. Also, the baseplate could have a rectangular recess that mates with the mount profile. That would prevent any rotation. It’s a simple solution that could just work. IMO it’s worth testing before going with something complicated.

2 Likes

That also looks good. I’m just not sure how universal it is. I imagine it won’t work with some (many?) handlebar designs.

Apart from super high end road bikes this should be compatible with pretty much any normal bike afaik
This cap on the fork/stem is standardised.

1 Like

My bmx be like, but I’m also normal bike :joy:

Right, but then there’s electric scooters and for DAVEGA at least, I’ve had more scooter than e-bike inquires. It would be nice to have one solution for all. I think a clamp would be the best.

Or, maybe it’s more critical to decide how the Megan baseplate should connect to the handlebar mount. It would be best to have a system, for which many different handlebar mounts exist so that everyone can use whatever works for their particular vehicle. GoPro mount would be one option. The 1/4 camera screw is pretty universal as well and it’s simple.

1 Like

How about the Quad Lock? It seems quite popular.

3 Likes