The Kushboard Nano!
The goal is to have a low powered board with a weight of maybe 4~6 kilos. I went with a 7s2p 30Q battery, so it’s pretty tiny.
For this build, i went with the @avX urethane gear drive, and it involves cutting the hangar for it to fit the gear drive.
Here’s the insides, 7s2p 30Q battery, Flipsky 4.12 ESC, Lunacycle Antispark switch. Surprisingly with everything except the enclosure, it weighs right smack at 5 kilos. I figured it’ll be 6 kilos from the 97mm abecs.
Now comes a problem… The battery is a bit too wide for the deck, and i did not want to go for a double stack. There’s only about 10mm of space if the battery is in the middle, so the enclosure can’t have a flange coming at the sides.
Sketched out how things are gonna go in.
Jeff came through and helped me design an enclosure so that it fully utilizes the full width of the deck’s space. Here’s some CAD porn.
The enclosure will be sent in to be printed in Nylon. I was planning to have it printed in a cheaper filament and then mold it in fiberglass but just this time, i figured outsourcing it to get printed would be the better option.
Meanwhile, i had the bottom and sides glossed up.
You know i gotta spray it
YEAAAAA HERE COME THAT GREEN
Now, in real world range, i got about 22km from 95% battery, on paved pathways that were relatively smooth and flat, with a couple inclines here and there. I weigh 70kg, so this amount of range is perfect, since this build is for shorter commutes and for portability, the most important aspect.
Overall, this is a cute little board to ride to work because i work nearby my place, and or to the mall to run errands etc because its light and small sized. Wished i could have gone 90mm with Popocas but the Avio gear drive could only accommodate 97mm wheels and above. That being said, clearance is not the best on 97mms. So only smooth roads are ok on this board. Any pebbly areas or construction sites is a no go.
After awhile, i found that the Nylon gearbox is prone to damage and i fear that it may get worse in future so i did the unthinkable and made a… single DD?
Ok hear me out, this gave me pretty good clearance but there were some issues which i will get to in a bit, but here’s the rundown of what i did.
I took a hub motor, and retrofit it to a Caliber truck.
Mounted it onto the Orbiter build.
Watch the vid if you wanna cringe from the terrible sounds that came from the motor from running FOC detection. Both BLDC and FOC had issues, which has the worst crunching sound known to man next to the annoying dude eating chips in the theatre. However, FOC was able to pass detection upon increasing to 10A duty cycle, despite the terrible sound.
Throttling however, crackling sounds persist. Note that the motor spins freely when hand spun. Oh well.
Other than that, i tried accelerating while on it, testing it down my hallway. It can lug me with some effort, but brakes are literally non existent.
Ok no worries, chuck that discount Carvon away and see what else i can do. I can’t do a belt drive as much as i’d like to due to a belt drive being longer and may hit the enclosure. And reverse mounting it on a board with a kicktail is just redundant.
Make a smaller gear drive! Thanks to the help of Ervine, who goes by @ervinelin on the other forum.
This is his gear drive design, on a single 6374, 90mm wheels.
Once it all fits nicely, i got the gearbox printed in Nylon
Oh yea. It’s done.
In result, i got better ground clearance which is about 12mm from the ground, whereas previously it was about 3mm off the ground. Range remains about the same at 22~25km, since i free roll a lot.
Okay, that’s all folks! Sorry for the long post. I might continue messing around with the Direct drive retrofitting and all, for science!