How to bind the Mini Remote [Serious]

@b264 I don’t really know anything about pwm remotes, but my assumption for this to work I need to an extra receiver that uses the right protocol? Do you know what the mini remote uses? I couldn’t find the information anywhere online this product is listed.

Also your UK link appears to now go to the wrong remote.

The mini remote comes with a receiver. (if you buy from most esk8 vendors, one china site does sell it without a receiver) You can buy additional receivers from @torqueboards.

PWM is what a lot of folks are calling “PPM”, I’m not sure why Trampa started calling it that, I looked at the waveforms on an oscilloscope and they are most definitely pulse width modulated. The pulse position is not modulated, and in fact the pulses I’ve inspected have an intentional oscillation to prevent you from trying to detect/use it as PPM.

1 Like

@davdBanner I removed your link from the top because it was linking the wrong remote.

I already have a remote I’ve been using. I was hoping I could find a second receiver that would work that’s a bit cheaper than Torque boards because its the same price, without shipping as a remote and receiver shipped to my house are from other vendors. I will probably just by another remote though because my power switch is on the blink and I can’t find any info on the correct tx protocol.

Btw this cheap remote is though. Had a crash and the remote flew 30meter down the street and is still working till today.

3 Likes

Hi I had a question regarding this method.

Does the Bluetooth app still work when you use this?

1 Like

Yes; this uses PWM (sometimes erroneously referred to as “PPM”) instead of UART, which leaves the UART port free for bluetooth usage on a VESC.

1 Like

When you use this technique does it matter if you use 2 separate vescs?

Focbox and flipsky?

Alsno what would happen to the performance? Would FOC not be possible anymore?

It won’t matter. You can still use FOC. With dual receivers, it’s just like having two single-motor drivetrains attached to the same deck. In fact, it’s more reliable than a dual-motor setup. If something goes wrong on one side, the other side is unaffected. You can still use BLDC or FOC, unsensored or hybrid sensored, on either side however you want.

2 Likes

I’m starting to like the idea of dual receivers - I wonder about splitting the battery IE 1 per VESC… but think this might be overkill :slight_smile: ?

2 Likes

I’m seriously considering doing just that

2 charge ports?

No, the two batteries would be connected together at the charge port with 10A fuses.

If anything failed, one of the fuses would blow and isolate the faulty side from the rest

3 Likes

The wheel is channel 1 and the trigger is channel 2. Put the plug in row 2 on the receiver.

1 Like

Awesome - Just rode to work on it. I am in love. Also scared of how fast it is.

3 Likes

@b264 I put a nice new juicy Duracell B82rz in the remote - how long will it last average on daily use? And does the light flash if low battery?

No, the light won’t flash but you will feel little micro cutouts that get more frequent and more lengthy as the cell dies. I’ve never not been able to make it to my destination safely. I use the “Energizer Ultimate Lithium” AA batteries and they last a really, really long time. Like a year-ish. Regular cheap AA last at least a few months with daily use.

edit December 2019: Don’t take this advice, it’s outdated. I’ll say that using these cells can lead to brake failures as they die very abruptly as opposed to gradually

3 Likes

8 Likes

8 Likes

@b264 you need 2 more to beat out @rafaelinmissouri😂

2 Likes