GP Evolution, 4WD, sexy TKP trucks, wireless enclosure™, and more

I’ll start from the end with this one. This is the final phase of the build and here’s how it all came out:

I won’t try to hide that I took a lot of inspiration from @ducktaperules. When I saw his build in this state…

… I thought "wow, that top mounted ESC box looks so good :heart_eyes: "

Unfortunately, then he completely ruined it when he put an ugly battery box on it.

… and got the board dirty for extra minus points! :joy:

I figured this is a promising concept but it’s waiting for someone to do correctly – with the battery mounted UNDER the deck.

But let me not get ahead of myself. This was a long journey and I want to tell the story from the beginning. For the most part, this will be a compilation of my Pictures and Nothing Else posts.

BTW, I’m also shamelessly stealing @ducktaperules’ build thread format. :innocent:

23 Likes

? April, 2021

Back in 2020, I got this idea to design a mostly but not entirely flat (MBNEF™) deck. The idea was that it would be easy to install electronics (it was) and hopefully if I add some side wings, it will still be reasonably comfortable to ride (it wasn’t). Also, full disclosure, I didn’t really want to fiddle with modelling a concave in Fusion. :sweat_smile:

Anyway, this eventually came out as Granda Plata (meaning “big flat” in Esperanto), which you can read more about here.

And that’s how this build started.

7 Likes

16 April 2021

Put some trucks and wheels on the deck to check if it’s rideable at all.

6 Likes

14 May, 2021

Starting to plan the first electric version. 12S3P in NESE modules to keep things simple.

6 Likes

18 May, 2021

Finished the battery. Put on the eLofty DD with TB110. First electrified GP test ride!

10 Likes

20 May, 2021

Added a charge port. Having a charge port is way more convenient than not having one. :slight_smile: I designed a riser to hold an XT30. I also added a little hinged cover that only got snapped off less than 25 times so far.

7 Likes

11 June, 2021

Upgrades! I put the nice RKP back on, together with my new Reachertech 6385 motors and pneumatic wheels. Much more comfy!

I also put on a DAVEGA (some friends recommended it) and matched it with a blue X-bracket for extra sexiness points.

10 Likes

13 July, 2021

I decided I didn’t like the RKP trucks and started planning switching to SR TKPs. It didn’t go completely smoothly.

5 Likes

BTW, this is not how you (or I) want to install a MIDI fuse:

The thing is that the fuse can then easily get mechanically damaged from vibrations and blow.

And if that happens while you’re braking, your ESC will have nowhere to put the energy from the motors, voltage will go up and the ESC may not like that.

Even worse, there may not be any visible ESC damage and you may think you just need to replace the fuse.

But then you do; you turn the ESC on to test it aaand…

At least I actually replaced the fuse instead of connecting the wire to the battery directly. Could have been worse.

This is how to install a MIDI fuse properly – use a holder:

I’ll even a share an STL file because I’m nice like that. :slight_smile:

fuse_holder.stl (34.7 KB)

12 Likes

6 August, 2021

Desperate times call for desperate measures. :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

2 September 2021

Designed custom mounts. Shorter so that they can be forward mounted and no more spacers required for the bloody protruded Reacher motor bearings!

8 Likes

2 September 2021

Time to admit that riding a deck with no concave kinda sucks. :sweat_smile:

On the other hand, a half-binding is so much easier to install on a flat deck! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

3 September, 2021

Mismatched motors exceed expectations!

7 Likes

7 September, 2021

… nevertheless, symmetry is symmetry. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

7 October, 2021

Time to admit it. Even if you add a half-binding, riding a flat deck kinda sucks.

But! You can always add custom concave pads!

8 Likes

29 November, 2021

Time for a bigger battery! I’m out of fishpaper and who would want to fiddle with it anyway?! 3D print all the things!

7 Likes

30 November, 2021

Pre-tinning wires – the easy way!

10 Likes

30 November, 2021

More progress!

7 Likes

2 December, 2021

Battery finished, fused, installed and it doesn’t even fall off the deck when flipped over! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

18 January, 2022

Stooge monster wheels arrived. Time to get them installed.

7 Likes