EOVAN / Stakboard Aireless Wheels Review

@Chricious
emmentaler_kc3a4se_fotolia_62617756_m

4 Likes

I would tend to agree, however, I am interested to see if these strike a better balance between battery consumption and comfort. I am willing to bet those have bad performance

@TheGoodMomentum For sure! I’m excited to try yours out when they’re done too.

2 Likes

These are the 125mm Eovan wheels with the 80a rubber. 635g for the wheel and 265g for the pulley. Crazy heavy at 900g for a wheel and pulley. For comparison my Cloudwheel with 44t pulley weighs 495g/55g and my 110mm TB wheels with Boardnamics 44t Kegel pulley is 565g/155g. The pulleys do not fit onto the wheels properly with or without the heat shrink sleeves on the teeth of the pulleys. I contacted Jason at Eovan and they are sending a different set of covers for the teeth of the pulleys.

3 Likes

I used Gorilla duct tape on the pulley teeth to get an initial 6 mile ride. They are stable and slightly more sluggish in the turns relative to cloudwheels. The rolling resistance is quite high as is the cornering grip. A 6 mile ride at an average speed of 15mph used up about 40% of my 10s4p 30q battery. Slightly more shock absorption relative to 120mm Cloudwheels. You can feel the weight when accelerating and braking. They slow down quite a bit when you let the throttle go. Its a bit jarring. After I get the new pulley sleeves for teeth and more miles under my belt, I will write more about the wheels.

3 Likes

I don’t think the weight is so bad compare to other similar wheels.
I’m more concerned about your range loss.

1 Like

I was a little concerned about the heatshrink too but my pulleys fit okay without it, if anything a little loose.

I think the heatshrink would wear out in only a few miles

I’m more interested to try these wheels out, custom pulleys required.

3 Likes

Mine are useless. They are super heavy, and on top of that the pulleys are super-super heavy made of iron, steele (or God knows what) :open_mouth:. Who manufactured these pulleys? Disgruntled engineers? Masochists? Geeeeezzz!!

Got so pissed installing these wheels that I gave up. Never felt so frustrated installing smthng for Esk8. I was going to forget the wheels were already too heavy when I installed them on the trucks. No problem there. But when I unpacked the pulleys I couldn’t believe it they where so heavy! Why?? Who is the maniac who created such a pulley and so heavy?? What’s the purpose? No access to Nylon, Acetal Delrin or any other hard industrial plastic material?

And it was not so much that they were heavy but the fact that they were really well built. The pulley from the manufacturing standpoint is almost perfect. The CNC is flawless, but how come they can produce such a perfect pulley but with such complexity, made of various different metal pieces assembled together with a bunch of bolts? Metal everywhere and bolts like there was no tomorrow! What?? No wonder why the pulley is so heavy :roll_eyes:!

And then when I was trying to install the pulleys on the rear wheels I found the sprockets came with rubber covers on them! I thought that was a nice touch, “they want to protect the sprockets!”. Well, actually the sprockets were so tiny compared with your normal ABEC type sprockets, they look ridiculously disproportionate, and not only that but they are sharp as X-Acto blades. So much that I ended up cutting my fingers with them! :rescue_worker_helmet:

First pulley went in with no problem, but the second one couldn’t enter the wheel hub “what in h…?” Well, it turned out they sent a pulley with a different sprocket profile for another wheel style, similar to the other pulley but with the sprockets edge profile facing backwards and I couldn’t introduce them on the wheel hub.

End result: a useless heavy rubber wheel set with no working pulleys. The bearings snugly fitted inside the hubs bearing wells, the CNC machining and anodizing finish was perfect, but the wheels are incredibly heavy and the pulleys even heavier; overengineered, made out of various metal parts and lots of bolts. A heavy proposition. I still got them on one corner. The heaviest paper weights you can think of :roll_eyes::slightly_frowning_face:.

4 Likes

this is pretty much my case as well, one of my pulley won’t fit any of the wheels, turns out there is a left and right side version of the wheels that the pulley is meant to fit one each… I’ve try to reach out to John, but never heard back… :man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

he left you on red

1 Like

when I first told him about the pulley / wheel issue, he chased me for the video, when I finally get around sending him the video, dead silence… why create wheels that has left and right side??? whyyyy

@pixelsilva, looks like u got 4 right side wheels, and I have 4 left side wheels (I think)…wanna swap 2, so we can both ride?

Edit: this is what was sent to me, notice the shape difference with urs

3 Likes

I dig those land snails especially @ 90mm and flat tread. It’d be an interesting ride.

1 Like

Yeah, let’s swap. But I still think is the pulleys that are different to one another. The wheel hubs allface the same direction. So it is the pulley the problem.

If you guys see closely, the sprockets come with this slanted profile, so if you turn them and try to introduce them on the hub angled openings they don’t match. Is only with this pulley.

1 Like

actually no, I’ve looked online for the eovan board and similar brand that sells that same core type of wheels, only 2 wheels should have same core shape…so im also confused at first, but basically left and right side is a mirror image of each other and so as the pulley.

Let me get back home after work and check on those wheels before we jump the gun

@ShutterShock, urs came with 2 left side and 2 right side right?

2 Likes

Yeah the inside of the wheel looks perfect for a push fit adapter, tbh I want a thread just about those wheels.

or use the bearing cover threaded holes to attach a pulley

hmm wait actually I don’t see screws

esk8 hubcaps lol

1 Like

Yeah, looks like they screw on or snap on.
I’m curious the roll resistance vs the crowned rubber wheels. Guessing it would be less, but so would shock absorption.
That outside bearing would stay super clean!
Kinda slick tbh

1 Like

Look at my set, you are seeing the outside wheel face. Hub wheel blades all point to the left. They are the same. Only one pulley fit them all. The other pulley won’t fit neither of them because the sprockets had the opposite slanted profile.

2 Likes

that’s what I meant, u got all 4 wheels as right side version, and mine were the left side version, so both of us have two pulleys (left and right side version) but only 1 fits in those wheels. hope this make sense?

still don’t understand why there needs to be two versions, doesn’t that increase the production cost?

1 Like

Yeah Bro, I got it. But are you sure your hub wheels point in the other direction opposite than mines? So your hub wheel blades should be pointing to the righ, no?

Yeah, is stupid what they did produccing two different sets (wheels and pulley) what a mess they made! Why incurring in such nonsense? There will be lots and lots of mistakes for this reason and lots and lots of complaints from costumers incurring in a lot of shipment fees sending back the wrong pulleys back and forth :roll_eyes:.

looks different direction to me, but I prefer to double check that again once I get home tonight

3 Likes