Wheel comparison thread!

Ouch :persevere:! The one thing I always heard about blue cags is that they chipped rather easy but for some reason mine held up quite fine, I ride 50/50 on sidewalk and the road and there’s been 0 chips after 200km :+1:

4 Likes

Did you pay 200 USD for the teamgee wheels?

1 Like

No bro, someone else from my Insta followers did. He did the weighing.

1 Like

Because the PU is very soft is easier to breaking apart for impact.

5 Likes

That’s why we are counting on you to make soft, bouncy and strong wheels!

1 Like

I tested today all my PU/airless rubber wheels and I would like to give you an idea of my impressions.

Here are the wheels that I tested from 90mm to 120mm

90mm Teamgee
Comfort: 6/10
Grip: 7/10
Range 8/10

TeamGee 105mm rubber wheel
Comfort 6/10
Grip 10/10
Range 3/10

107mm Flywheel
Comfort 8,5/10
Grip 8/10
Range 4,5/10

110mm TB
Comfort 9/10
Grip 9/10
Range 4/10

120mm Foamies
Comfort 9,5/10
Grip 7,5/10
Range 3,5/10

What I didn’t test today but I would rate from my mind is:

Old 97mm 76A Evolve
Comfort 5/10
Grip: 5/10
Range 8/10

New 97mm 76A Evolve
Comfort 7/10
Grip 7/10
Range n/a

Orangutang 85mm 77A blue Caguama
Comfort 6,5
Grip 7
Range n/a

Chunks I had just with 107 Flywheels and 97mm Evolve, but especially on the 107’s a lot.

May favorite wheel is the TB 110mm 74A by just a very small margin over the Foamis. On kart race tracks or slick surfaces I rather go with the TeamGee rubber wheel though. Through hard and loose, dry, rough terrain the Foamies are king. Trough wet, slippery, soft terrain the rubber wheels are best again. For smooth tarmac I prefer the TBs or even smaller wheels like the Cuagamas or 90mm TeamGees.

I never had the opportunity to ride red 100mm Boas though.

Hope I could help

16 Likes

About low range on cloud wheels, I assume you did not adjust wheel pulley size to keep pulley / wheel ratio approximately the same?

Cos if not, then it is not fair to give low range rating.

I used the same pulley for 107s and Cloud, Cloud wheels resulted in 29% less battery/range after testing the same route

2 Likes

At the same speed the lower ratio would even have a lower consumption. So yes, the range is justified.
But I have 32T pulleys for 97mm, 36T for 110mm and 38T pulleys for 120mm. So no worries, I tested a lot before I came to this conclusion.

6 Likes

Of course the range is justified. Just that I prefer to compare range with adjusted pulley ratio kept the same and that will show if the rolling resistance is still good or not. Just a different comparison preference.

Instead of doing a lot of testing, I just use the esk8 calculator and change the pulley size until speed is the same as the smaller wheel with it’s own pulley

I had to go from a 29T pulley on 107s to 36T for clouds to keep the acceleration similar, it drags on the ground like pneumatics do.

1 Like

Anything that has a grooved / bump design will cause greater drag resulting in worse range. It’s been tried and tested… essentially the contact between the road surface and the wheel constantly goes into a start stop, start stop friction-filled motion, causing that whirring sound, and producing that drag.

3 Likes

Thanks for the detailed breakdown of the ratings! Very useful - have you thought about a rating for acceleration as well? Generally speaking - one would think that smaller wheels give greater torque

Speaking of that, the noise the foamies make at 35+ mph is nuts. Sounds like all terrain truck tires on the freeway

4 Likes

Yup. I forgot how quiet my board was until I went back to regular thanes. I was able to get pretty close to people before they turned around. Got used to that buzzing sound after a hundred or so mile with true Foamies/Clouds

2 Likes

Recently I am kinda intrigued to get the TB 110mm arctic blue version, anyone has any photos of it after some use?

Curious how the translucent thane holds up against use :thinking:

3 Likes

That explains why I finally got my battery to hold for 30km as it was only holding 20km before. (switched from rubber wheels to harder wheels)
That’s crazy

2 Likes

If you use the calc you should know that a different gear ration doesn’t effect the range. The wheel duro, shape and weight does.

It would make no sense since. the acceleration and top speed can be manipulate by different pulleys.

General speaking I can say that each point in duro would increase the range of a same shaped wheel by ~3% i.g. 100mm 74A wheel with 30km range would have in a 84A version about 40km range.

Each mm of a wider CP should have about ~1% less range. At least if comparing 40mm-80mm wide wheels.

What’s interesting about this is, that the Foamies have just about 22mm CP and the TeamGee rubber tires have also a similar CP but the consumption is highest because of the tread probably.

The increase in wight seems to have also a quite large impact on the range. Out of the top of my head I would say like 1% per 10g.
I.g. 500g wheel with 30km range would have at 300g about 36km range. Ofc this gets even worse if you brake and accelerate often.

A not too bad example is here The 110mm TB compared to the 90mm TeamGee. The TB is 9A softer and has a 9mm wider CP, but it weights 280g more, which is almost twice the TeamGee. The range is also almost half.

Let’s assume you get out of the TB 110mm 74A wheels 30km range.
Compared to the TeamGee it has -9mm CP, which is +9% range, -280g weight, which translates to +28% range and +9A duro, which would add another +27%. This results to 64% of more range or 50km range in total for the TG compared to the TB. I rated the range for TG 8 and TB 4 which should be double the range. I carve and accelerate more than the avg rider so the difference is for my riding style larger.

Keep in mind this is just a rough calculation based on mostly subjective experience. I didn’t use specific tracks and logs to assure accuracy. But I thing that’s a nice guideline if you want to estimate the range of a new wheel, before buying it.

Also in theory should have a larger wheel less rolling resistance and higher range than smaller wheels, but in RL it shows to be vise versa. It might have to do with the increasing wight. That’s why we are working on a new approach of wheel style.

6 Likes

Yes I know that. Just keeping the ratio the same for braking and acceleration…

Was trying to ask how much % range reduction via pulley adjustment instead of just take little wheel off and put in big wheel on and then say 29% range reduction…