Wheel comparison thread!

Why do some wheel companies insist on molding their tires with a tread pattern? My Cloudwheels carve so much better now that the center tread is worn down. Looks like the beast board wheels have the same issue. Wonder how they carve once worn in.

2 Likes

What bothers me with those wheels is the very minimal amount of wear that they can handle before becoming useless. That was something I wasn’t too comfortable with on the Cloudwheels, but those airless beastboard airless wheels are an even higher level. 5mm of wear and they’re off to the bin. Not sure how many hundreds of kms this amounts to, but I’d much prefer wheels that can be worn down to the core. I expect the TB 110mm to be able to handle thousands of kms and still have a second life on a push board once in the 70mm range.

And that “softer feeling from another level” needs to be presented in parallel to the effect this has on the range. As usually there’s no free lunch, with that softer feeling coming with a big hit in terms of the Wh/km

2 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy: :+1:t2:

3 Likes

just curious about the feel of them, and some people tend to not bother about wearing down wheels… they just throw on a new set…

I can understand that, but as far as I’m concerned, I’m a cheap skate! And I like to consider the whole lifecycle of a product, for, you know, sustainability, and all… So a wheel that can handle thousands of kms will have more appeal to me than one that is useless after 800kms. Of course if wheels were really cheap that could tip the balance, but those Viper wheels seem to be amongst the most expensive of the bunch.

1 Like

Onsra 115mm airless rubber wheels

Review and comparison with 120mm Foamies and 110mm TB is comming.

7 Likes

I just noticed I didn’t review those wheels, so I want to share my experiences with you.

I start with the smallest one and getting bigger.

AHMYO AKASHA FR 76mm 79A CP 53mm

The wheels feel very hard and uncomfortable. The clearance is an issue on drop through boards and even of top mounted decks with drop. A flex double deck is an nogo even on DKP trucks.
They feel very skateboardy and they are ok for slides. The weight is a big bonus. They might be the lightest wheels you can mount on a common ESK8.
I personally don’t enjoy those wheels. I like small and hard wheels, because they are fun, they sound old school and they are easier to slide, but those are really not my favorites.

Comfort: 2/10
Grip: 2/10
Range: n/a
Sliding: 5/10
Fun: 3/10

Venom Magnum Mach 1 78mm 74A CP 76mm

They feel way softer than the Akasha. The grip is much higher and the are more enjoyable for deep carves. The clearance is still a problem on many decks and trucks. I would recommend to mount them on top mounted DKP trucks. They are predictable in slides but offers also high cornering speeds.
Besides that they look really dope.
I like them a lot and I can say they are one of my favorite wheels.

Comfort: 5
Grip: 9.5
Range: 7.5
Sliding: 8
Fun: 8.5

Boa Hatchling 2020 90mm 83A CP 60mm

They say the V2 Hemotox™ formula feels way softer than the 83A suggests.
Surprise, it doesn’t. For me it feels exactly like a 90mm 83A wheel.
It is kind of hard, but not as hard es the Ahmyo. Maybe just tiny bit more comfortable than the Mangnums, but in general still a harsh ride feeling.
Slides are ok, and overall a very average wheel imho. I’m not really into it and they are wheels with which I have a lot more fun.

Comfort: 5.5
Grip: 5
Range: n/a (probably 6-7)
Sliding: 5
Fun: 4

Boa Constrictor 2020 100mm 83A CP 65mm

The wheels have a good balance of comfort, grip and fun.
They feel indeed softer than a 83A and way softer than the 90mm version.
Cavring is nicer and the grip is better. I find it easier to power slide them as well. All in all a really good daily wheel and good compromise between small old school longboard wheels and pneumies. They feel like a slightly better version of the 2020 Evolve/ABEC 97mm 76A wheels. I do like them and I have them mounted on one of my daily rides.

Comfort: 8
Grip: 8
Range: 7
Sliding: 8
Fun: 8

I’m curious what your experiences with those wheels are.

5 Likes

I cant wait for the range measurements! I also have these but I couldn’t mount them to an electric board yet (i have hub motors because i cant afford any better now :rofl:)

For now they are on my pushboard, they feel unbelievably comfortable but having them on a pushboard is quite a workout :laughing: Would be nice to quantify how much more energy they require to roll, I am mainly interested in a comparison to TB110s :slight_smile:

1 Like

All appreciation for everyone who is pushing those wheels for more than 1km :joy:

2 Likes

Because of the bad weather and thankfully (for me) a start of lockdown, I didn’t have to actually use them yet, I pushed them for about a 1.5km test ride until I got exhausted. For reference, I pushed 10km a day to commute every day before lockdown on clone 97s / 70mm thanes. I am happy I don’t have to push these for 10km a day :laughing:

I even had to push these a few times to get down the hill where I was practising slides on 70mm thane :rofl:

2 Likes

Anyone tried the new 76a 100mm Boa wheels? Wondering how they compare to 78a TB110

2 Likes

There’s also the TB 74A 100mm idk if they new or not tho

1 Like

@longhairedboy @jamie This account posts nonsense all over the place, looks like a bot of some sorts.

1 Like

What are you talking about?

Or is this sarcastic

i have a set of 99A park wheels on one of my popsicles and they’re garbage anywhere but perfectly smooth pavement or cement. idk why bones makes them but i guess somebody like them. bowl and park wheels i suppose, but i would want softer ones even there.

durometers in the high 70s and low 80s is where its at. Ahmyo Akashas on my dinghy are 79A, my boas and kegels are 83A but i swear they feel more like 78. I have a set of TB 74A somewhere around here too.

Oh haha. There is an account that just posts mostly unrelated nonsense everywhere. There was a comment just before mine that has now gone… I assume it / the account has been removed! Now I look like I was talking to myself :rofl:

5 Likes

My favorite urethanes were without a doubt hyperdrive 100mm. I don’t recall them having different durameters but I always get the softest. I tore mine up in like 3 months of riding hard af. My flash airless wheels eat range, and the metal core makes bearing changes a bit of a pain, but are the grippiest most comfortable wheels I’ve ever ridden. They’re discontinued, I’m on the look out for when they rerelease under the name I think jet. Blue cags are as small as I’ll go, and they are made of pure magic. Stock boosted wheels are trash, throw them in the trash. Mbs off-road or all terrain or whatever urethane wheels lasted one real ride before I had a core melt and my wheel rolled away. Also, they were just straight up not comfortable, and lacked any real grip.

So best to worst:
Flash 125mm airless
Hyperdrive 100mm
Blue caguamas
Mbs at urethane
Stock boosted

Only mentioning what I’ve electrified

Pretty sure these are the exact same wheel as TB100 74a. I have some, they were on decent sale, I’d buy tb100 in the future if they weren’t.

They ride really well, they’ve got different grip than other urethane wheels I’ve tried. It’s like they stick to the concrete. Which is amaaaazing when you’re carving around, BUT a downside I forgot to mention is that they kind of skip on the pavement if you brake hard, and if you aren’t careful they’ll catch flat spots. They also wore out quicker than I’d like but I was riding like 10 miles a day on em, so that’s not surprising.

Oh gotcha I thought you were talking about @joshoujoe and I was like wow haha okay

1 Like