Wheel comparison thread!

Opnions on taking some of the high end wheels and stone grounding them to avoid eventual or prolong chuncking?

Srsly wondering if that woudl work on Enertion Hub sleeves/ and Boa’s - dont really wana break the boa skin - on the flipiside seems like stoneground wheels in general are the shit

Prehaps ivemissed a flaw in them?

1 Like

Oh yeah well I think these feel excellent, they’re super soft. Like so soft that you can ride sidewalk cracks and not feel them on a stiff deck. They’re very grippy too, but they wear our really fast bc there 60a and the rolling resistance is higher than normal.

The cloud wheels on the other hand are slightly harder but the foam inside makes them almost as soft, while providing better grip overall, especially over gravelly surfaces

2 Likes

Have you had any issues with clearance on the TB DDs with the 100mm wheels? I got my DDs before the 100mm was out and I’d like to cut out some of the ride height from the risers I needed to allow the 110s space to avoid wheelbite.

1 Like

No issues from my side, I love them. You just got to get used to hitting low curbs at the right angle. In the meantime, these make for pretty good protectors (during colder weather days): https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32947280564.html 9

1 Like

I like the idea i think - But what is the protecting for a moment i though you wanted to use them around the wheels (which could work!)

They provide some minimal protection for the cans, see the images I posted above.

1 Like

These could be the answer to those Cloudwheels and their inherent issues!

wow what a great sale :expressionless: :rofl:

3 Likes

:joy:

that colour is just disgusting

1 Like

Did you ever get to try the 110s? Wondering how they compare to the 100s. I feel that the 110s are too big and make riding kinda less “agile”, I switched to 90mm popocas and carving was great, but clearance and top speed suffer a lot on the change.

Another outlet - about the same pricing

Some video review I transcribed - can’t really find other OEMs for them.

“Straightaway, these wheels, are insane, they go over everything, they are softer feeling than any cloudwheels or rubber, this is another level - they do grip a bit more. You can’t feel the speed bumps, so yeah, very impressive, loving these wheels”

So there you go - better than cloudwheels!

Why do some wheel companies insist on molding their tires with a tread pattern? My Cloudwheels carve so much better now that the center tread is worn down. Looks like the beast board wheels have the same issue. Wonder how they carve once worn in.

2 Likes

What bothers me with those wheels is the very minimal amount of wear that they can handle before becoming useless. That was something I wasn’t too comfortable with on the Cloudwheels, but those airless beastboard airless wheels are an even higher level. 5mm of wear and they’re off to the bin. Not sure how many hundreds of kms this amounts to, but I’d much prefer wheels that can be worn down to the core. I expect the TB 110mm to be able to handle thousands of kms and still have a second life on a push board once in the 70mm range.

And that “softer feeling from another level” needs to be presented in parallel to the effect this has on the range. As usually there’s no free lunch, with that softer feeling coming with a big hit in terms of the Wh/km

2 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy: :+1:t2:

3 Likes

just curious about the feel of them, and some people tend to not bother about wearing down wheels… they just throw on a new set…

I can understand that, but as far as I’m concerned, I’m a cheap skate! And I like to consider the whole lifecycle of a product, for, you know, sustainability, and all… So a wheel that can handle thousands of kms will have more appeal to me than one that is useless after 800kms. Of course if wheels were really cheap that could tip the balance, but those Viper wheels seem to be amongst the most expensive of the bunch.

1 Like

Onsra 115mm airless rubber wheels

Review and comparison with 120mm Foamies and 110mm TB is comming.

7 Likes

I just noticed I didn’t review those wheels, so I want to share my experiences with you.

I start with the smallest one and getting bigger.

AHMYO AKASHA FR 76mm 79A CP 53mm

The wheels feel very hard and uncomfortable. The clearance is an issue on drop through boards and even of top mounted decks with drop. A flex double deck is an nogo even on DKP trucks.
They feel very skateboardy and they are ok for slides. The weight is a big bonus. They might be the lightest wheels you can mount on a common ESK8.
I personally don’t enjoy those wheels. I like small and hard wheels, because they are fun, they sound old school and they are easier to slide, but those are really not my favorites.

Comfort: 2/10
Grip: 2/10
Range: n/a
Sliding: 5/10
Fun: 3/10

Venom Magnum Mach 1 78mm 74A CP 76mm

They feel way softer than the Akasha. The grip is much higher and the are more enjoyable for deep carves. The clearance is still a problem on many decks and trucks. I would recommend to mount them on top mounted DKP trucks. They are predictable in slides but offers also high cornering speeds.
Besides that they look really dope.
I like them a lot and I can say they are one of my favorite wheels.

Comfort: 5
Grip: 9.5
Range: 7.5
Sliding: 8
Fun: 8.5

Boa Hatchling 2020 90mm 83A CP 60mm

They say the V2 Hemotox™ formula feels way softer than the 83A suggests.
Surprise, it doesn’t. For me it feels exactly like a 90mm 83A wheel.
It is kind of hard, but not as hard es the Ahmyo. Maybe just tiny bit more comfortable than the Mangnums, but in general still a harsh ride feeling.
Slides are ok, and overall a very average wheel imho. I’m not really into it and they are wheels with which I have a lot more fun.

Comfort: 5.5
Grip: 5
Range: n/a (probably 6-7)
Sliding: 5
Fun: 4

Boa Constrictor 2020 100mm 83A CP 65mm

The wheels have a good balance of comfort, grip and fun.
They feel indeed softer than a 83A and way softer than the 90mm version.
Cavring is nicer and the grip is better. I find it easier to power slide them as well. All in all a really good daily wheel and good compromise between small old school longboard wheels and pneumies. They feel like a slightly better version of the 2020 Evolve/ABEC 97mm 76A wheels. I do like them and I have them mounted on one of my daily rides.

Comfort: 8
Grip: 8
Range: 7
Sliding: 8
Fun: 8

I’m curious what your experiences with those wheels are.

5 Likes