Wheel comparison thread!

No, only 74a for 100s. Same as our 74a otherwise just smaller and less contact patch.

5 Likes

This is the first bad ive heard about Boa’s

However, Ive been ridding Enertion branded Poppca wheels, Will admit ive got many sets with different Duro’s but they are my Daily wheel for 90mm i havent found better.

Ive got the 90mm Boa’s on my board yet to ride them, though they were heavier which was good for me for momentum rolling.

Wondering if 90mm is the sweet spot but 100mm boa’s are prehaps to much. They are really heavy wider CP and harder to turn in theroy.

(should be said i ran the Enertion wheels on 180mm) running the Boa’s on a 170mm

1 Like

Done, morning posts :slight_smile:

1 Like

They are out - cloudwheel competition?

2 Likes

I’ve heard Fabi say good things about the new rubber wheels with holes in them on the market, but I haven’t seen this exact wheel tested. I would love to see someone like @Lee_Wright do a comparison between the best Thane wheel (TB 110) and the best rubber wheel (whatever it might be). Maybe they are the future? :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

These are GLOW wheels by @LAZYROLLING

They get more hate than deserved I think. Especially now at $55. Do I recommend these for that price? YES. Do I recommend these for $110? No.

Pros:

• Price!
  • They look sweet, subtle but beautiful.
  • Safety, if you do night rides these will help a lot from being side swiped.
  • grip, I found them surprisingly grippy. Although not on gravel because they are smooth and hard.
    No chips or cracks after ~500 kilometers

Cons:

• They are HARD, like Lord have mercy on my feet after 30 kilometers of riding.
  • the reflective sticker is starting to break after 3 weeks of use. (Or ~500 kilometers)
  • ABEC Core. This is not a con for everyone. For the Revel kit they don’t mount as well as kegel.

What these are:
A cool quirky wheel with a unique design. They are also more durable than softer wheels I have tried. They are cheap and definitely worth trying for the price. They are 97mm and 78a

What these are not:
Soft smooth ride that will take you anywhere in comfort.

I think Lazyrolling know these cannot complete with other $110 offerings, but that’s fine. At $55 they don’t need to. The reason I got these was mainly how fast I could get them. I am in Sweden. Lazyrolling is based in Sweden, the wheels shipped from (Germany?) I think though. But arrived fast. I had them within a week of ordering.

For me these were a clear upgrade over well worn Revel wheels with chips and or cracks on every wheel. These are grippier and more predictable than worn out 92mm 74a wheels. Are they fantastic? No. But fantastic wheels are unavailable in Sweden… During the pandemic fantastic wheels like Boas and TB etc are not readily available in northern Europe. Expensive shipping and long wait times make the Lazyrolling option fantastic.

5 Likes

Fabi says anything is good :roll_eyes::joy:

6 Likes

Fabi mentioned that Range suffers - I believe they feel like pneumies … if only these types came in a 72A thane instead of rubber.

The Flash airless tires may have potential.

1 Like

@rafaelinmissouri - I saw in the photos thread that you have been testing out the TB 100s. What do you think about them? Are you enjoying them more than the Boas?

3 Likes

I have my doubts - they’re also in rubber! so range definitely affected. Someone needs to do a PU version.

1 Like

I only had one ride. Then came on vacation. First impressions were good. Seem more gummy and grippy than the boas.
But I gotta ride more…

1 Like

Ride 2 today.
I definitely like these better than the Boas.
They are really gummier and grippier.
I took them to this neighborhood that has a few of the crappy half ass pavement roads and they did pretty good.
Really quite comfortable.

I also picked up a little rock… If you like collecting rocks…

4 Likes

Your luck with wheels are non existent :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Rocks are my friends… I’m calling this one Freddie.

4 Likes

Off topic, how are your motors doing that low?

I have about the same amount of clearance on my new setup and a little concerned about smacking the can on something. I think I have about 34mm of clearance lol.

3 Likes

I have only 17 miles on these new motors. The previous set there was fine. In my world 34mm is like super high…
I did almost kill one of my Flipksky 6384s I had on another board slamming into a huge rock… But it was a stupid big rock…

1 Like

I’m beginning to suspect a munchausen-by-proxy situation here. Must take a while for him to hammer those stones in there.

2 Likes
  1. TB100 (high quality urethane wheel)
  2. 105mm Airless Rubber (comfortable grippy ride, but quality and durability issues)

The TB100 are awesome wheels, together with the direct drives I get insane torque, freeroll, and power efficiency. Softest and grippiest urethane I’ve had. With the rubber wheels I loose an estimated 30-40% range, and they are much heavier. Lots of grip and safety in not ideal conditions (road surface, water). They don’t last that long, for daily riding 2-3 months for me, then the core detaches from the wheel (gone through a few already). So now I’m using them just occasionally. Also, about 50% of them are not evenly balanced. I ride my board as main method of transport almost daily, and those two wheels cover my needs.

T110: I have those sitting here since 6 months but never tried. They’re simply too huge looking for my setup.

5 Likes

Thanks for the reviews! We need an in-between solution somewhat… It seems like rubber just won’t ever cut it and I’m not sure why wheelmakers in China keep going back to them - too weighty and too soft for range, and they wear out fast. But imagine 105mm 78A torqueboard formula wheels with some holes in them to further reduce shock from hostile surfaces (like AEBOARD honeycomb wheels). Could be a winning combo.