DIY Onewheel Hoverboard

Yeah I guess I wanted to unlock the speed potential and potentially adjust PID settings but you are right the original board would be much easier. Has anyone who has ridden the actual onewheel ridden one of these diy ones? I would like to hear how they perform feeling wise.

The original hoverboard firmware is surprisingly smooth. Biggest difference for me is:

• hoverboard; angle of the board equals your exact speed. If you level your board it will actively brake to 0 speed. If you tilt the board forwards 15 degrees is will accelerate to the speed programmed at that angle. Downside of this is that you constantly need to keep the nose down low for full speed, something you rather not want on a Onewheel. To counter this I calibrated the gyro while the board is leaning backwards. This way you will have cruising speed while the board is level.
  • Onewheel; angle of the board equals amount of throttle given. It will not actively brake when you level the board, you will keep rolling while the controller is stabilizing the board. This gives a more natural feeling to the drive.

You will get used to both after just a few batteries.

4 Likes

ok sweet, well I am really looking forward to making one then!

Welded up a 12s2p for mine last week just need to do the last connections so stocked but lacking time atm.
Going to get 2x cheap foc on the next eu GB bummed that I missed the first GB was a killer price. Should just be to connect the with canbus and activate the tilt feature on the master right?

Correct. Just connect by Canbus and run the ‘balance app’ on Master and select ‘UART only’ on slave.

Bummer you missed out on the Cheap FOCer. However it is still V0.9 and should be considered an expiremental test version. You will probably get a V1 :slight_smile:

1 Like

How did you guys know which hoverboard to get? I’m looking for three days now and only found models witch two circuit boards or slow 10km/h ones.

1 Like

It’s a bit of a gamble I guess. You can’t see from the outside.

There are some 250Watt versions on 7S battery. Avoid those as the magnets in the motors are often smaller.

The 2x 350Watt with 10S / 36V are the ones you are looking for (charger is 42 V).

Sometimes they mention that it has Taotao electronics which are the original boards.

Worst case scenario when you get a hoverboard with 2 circuitboards is that you have to order the electronics pack which run at about 25$ on eBay.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot. I will continue my search then.

I found a hoverboard for $40 however it has the 8" wheels, Do you think it is still possible to do this with one of those with modifications to the 3d print?

You would have to modify the 3D print to accommodate bigger wheels. Also you would have to find a good tire to fit your modified print. If you want to make life easier I would pass on it and wait for a 6.5" version.

So of course I got hoverboard and it’s two circuit boards version. Motor is driven just by 6 transistors switching between + and gnd. And I was wondering. What if I align perfectly rotors and stators and add another set of 6 transistors to drive second motor from the same driver board? Power consumption of another 350w won’t be a problem since all the power will go through new set of transistors directly from +/- battery terminals.

PS: Why can’t I put images in a post?

I mean that would probably be possible, but seeing as a replacement board on ebay is $25 I wouldn’t go through the hassle

Jump on the GB for cheap foc instead :slight_smile: about 70€ shipped for 2x vesc 6 its a killer deal

1 Like

Can you elaborate what “GB” and “FOC” is for new people?

GB= Group Buy

GB

Finally had time to get mine up and running and damb its hard specially with my narrow tire but fun as hell! Even the fiance thought it was fun (trying to sell her in on riding with me haha).

Was dumb and didn’t balance the cells before I built the pack so the voltage gap is to big for my BMS so currently charging upp all the cells one by one :stuck_out_tongue:

Might have found the issue that caused the hooverboard to random throw errors and shut of lol damn chines factory soldering…

4 Likes

Looking good. Get some griptape on there asap. It will make driving a lot easier because you will be able to make corners without the fear of slipping off.

1 Like

Already on the list :slight_smile: Think I even have some 50mm wide anti slip laying around this was a first test. Wont complete it now as I will be installing the cheap foc so might redo alot of things then.

How did you do with getting the Vesc feel that you where on the board and activate?

1 Like

been there…no fun

1 Like

Field Oriented Control

4 Likes