DIY Onewheel Hoverboard

Velostat would be best but the hatch in the front with your switches is not very big. I had a problem with the griptape coming loose because my sensorpads where to big and left too little surface for the griptape to stick.

For now I made a bit of a hack with an old momentary switch underneath the hoverboard pushbutton. Not sure how to explain it best.

hmm I like that idea its simple and cheap just like this build :smiley: Mind sharing the STL? :slight_smile:

I don’t mind sharing, but it is really an amateur job made from basic shapes in 3d-builder. If you printed with PLA the parts will glue to the bottom of your pressureswitch plate with CA adhesive. The momentary switch that I took from an old FRSKY Taranis X9D slides in a bit tight.

switchholder.3mf (85.0 KB)

Sweet thanks! :slight_smile: Might do my own that screws in place but its a good start for inspiration

Well I waited and I found two “broken” hoverboards on Facebook marketplace for $50! So I’m getting ready to start building mine!

2 Likes

Would you bet that critical parts are broken or that things have just become disconnected like a wire or possibly minor PCB damage? interested to know to common failure modes.

I’ll let you know when I get them, My bet is something got disconnected and it “stopped working” they look like they were used a bunch but not destroyed so I’m betting on the batteries being fine maybe undercharged but I will update you as I go

1 Like

Going to make a guess for fun :slight_smile:

There is a dead cell so the BMS shuts of. Its pretty much standard with the cheap china cells even the “Samsung” ones are fake cells most of the time.

Damn the stock ESC if terrible when used to a trampa board lol really hard to get a good flow at decent speed but for low speed learning its good.

Dead cells and defective BMS is failure number 1 on those board. Also sometimes a defective footsensor board. But as you only need 1 of them for the Onewheel conversion this is no problem.

Stock ESC is smooth, but less powerful. But when calibrated with the board tilted a bit backwards you get a sweet ride for next to no money.

2 Likes

The dead cells (often the last cell in the group) are usually a result of the defective BMS. Seems like a really common issue with the Onewheel Plus. Mine is sitting unused because of it and I’m wondering what repair options I have. Not ready to go full-separates a.k.a. zombie mode.

Hai,

First of all this is a really nice project and thank you for the
extensive discription! I have started by collecting all the materials like the tire, inner tube, valve stem extention and the aluminium c-channel ( U-profile ). I only have a question about what kind of screws you are using for the rim and how long they are.

Kind regards,

Nathan (Netherlands)

1 Like

Hoi Nathan, welkom op het forum.

If you are looking for aluminium profiles you can get the 3mm version online from aluminiumopmaat.nl

Screws in the rim are M4x40mm.

3 Likes

Okay thank you.
I think I will go to a local hardware store for the screws
I bought my profile a couple of hours ago.

1 Like

What do you guys think of this tire? It’s super cheap just a bit bigger than what I have seen on here

1 Like

I also thought that a 13-inch tire would work until I saw one in real life. These tires are way bigger than an 11 inch one. Balancing on a 13-inch tire will be very hard because you’re like an inch higher from the ground.

But if you live in America I think it’s worth the try because it’s only 15 dollars.

There is a man that has managed to balance on a very big tire. Just search on YouTube for I built my own ONEWHEEL made by Jonas Marcinko.

That’s massive

3 Likes

Yeah thats an 18in wheel in the video haha but I’ll go look at a 13 in wheel at the store and see what i think, It might be worth it just because the cheapest 11in wheel that will work is like $50ish dollars

1 Like

Nederlands: Ik ben blij om te melden dat ik vandaag mijn diy onewheel heb afgemaakt. Ik heb alleen een klein probleempje. De batterij is leeg na 15 min rijden op gras. Heeft iemand een oplossing hiervoor? Ik rijdt nogsteeds met de standaard batterij, maar ik dacht dat hij het langer zou uithouden dan 15 min.

English: I’m happy to say that I finished my DIY Onewheel today! I only have a small problem, the battery is low after like 15 min of riding on grass. Has somebody a solution for this? I’m still riding with the stock battery, but I thought that it would last a bit longer than 15 min.

5 Likes

Wow, love the black and white prints. Looks very neat. I would place large washer rings under the screws of the rim. Once you get the hang of Onewheel riding you will be dropping curbs and stuff and the load on those screws becomes high.

Difficult to say what your battery performance should be. A lot of those manufacturers lie about the specs. Some are good, some barely hold half the stated capacity. A telltale is the time you need to recharge. If you have a 2 Amp charger and the board charges back up in 1 hour than you know that your usable capacity is 2 Amp.

Anyways.

• Riding on grass will eat your battery. Check how performance is on tarmac.
  • Tire pressure is also a key factor on the milage you will get. 18PSI on those Dunlops will give 30% less range than 26PSI (I weigh 85kg).
1 Like

90% of the hooverboards use fake cells so can’t really expect to much :slight_smile: Build a new pack if you want decent range.

Mine was bought as ‘‘real’’ samsung and the wrapers on the cells got the correct stamp but the cells did not have the correct signs so they was fake ones after all :slight_smile:

My 12s2p with genuine samsung cells don’t last very long either. I am going to build a pack with 21700 cells or 20700 cells if I enjoy it after my foc upgrade. :slight_smile:

2 Likes