Cheap FOCer 2 (Open-source, Low-cost, VESC 6 based ESC) (v0.9 Release. Beta testing ongoing)

Anyone tried HFI with the new vesc firmware on these?

1 Like

Ive tried it a bit on the bench. Seems to work fine as long as it’s dialed in correctly.

1 Like

Sweet!! Nice to know :slight_smile:

HFI is strictly for sensorless operation - right?

2 Likes

RS Components do some super cheap ABS enclosures, I think these dimensions would work for a really smart single setup
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/general-purpose-enclosures/1533682/

really nice fit! Will do the same :wink:

Remember to silicone the screws, threads aren’t waterproof.
Also don’t cheap out on the silicone. Get some proper silicone or sikaflex. Normal plumbing/bath silicone produces acetic acid while curing.
Which will then kill your ESC
…don’t ask me how I know :grimacing:

1 Like

Dude, that was fast :grin:. Thats so cool and the phase wires going to the sides would be convenient to top mount on a mountainboard.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of blue Loctite. It’ll seal and protect the threads, keep the screws from vibrating out, and still let you remove them easily if you want to open it.

1 Like

It’s meant to be a substitute for sensors so that a sensorless motor can have the same starting torque and low rpm performance as a motor with sensors

2 Likes

Hi, does it matter the orientation I place this part?

2 Likes

The one in the tweezers? If so that’s the BMI160 and orientation absolutely matters

1 Like

Yep, what should be the correct orientation? Couldn’t find any reference in the assembly guide.

I also found out that the USB ports I received from LCSC will not fit in the FOCer PCB. What happened here? :disappointed:

@Style Referencing the CAD drawing you can see that the indexing point of the IMU is positioned to the south east corner of the board - if the north point of the board is where the Electrolytic Capacitors are.

I would wait to get confirmation from @shaman or any of the others that did assemble with IMU’s in place.

Edit: As for the USB - can you show me the Order confirmation from LCSC with the line item that you got for the USB. (keep PII obfuscated please).

1 Like

Yeah dot in the same corner as u8 symbol

2 Likes

Double checked the BOM on the Github and C145795 is correct for the USB. Curious if that’s what you ordered @Style If it is, then LCSC didnt send you the right parts.

Oops should have cleaned it off first :grimacing:. Bunch on saw dust on there from drilling holes

2 Likes

Might be able to flash the whole program and use a BLE device to set it up?

Worse comes to worse, grab a few jumper wires/headers and make a bridge to a breadboard/sacrificial USB Cable.

2 Likes
1 Like

I can’t see any indexing point on the chip. What am I missing?
I saw that on the LCSC site it doesn’t shown either.

As for the USB, this is what I see on my LCSC order:

It pickced the wrong USB port and I have no idea why, I followed @shaman ordering guide and didn’t edit any of the BOM files.

I saw this too late :worried: I think it should be pointed out in the ordering guide.