Cheap FOCer 2 (Open-source, Low-cost, VESC 6 based ESC) (v0.9 Release. Beta testing ongoing)

It really just fits these 1590B boxes (122x66) from ebay:

@Tamatoa

Thats a great idea, i did not think of that.

To be able to stack them we would either need a longer (>122mm) or higher (>45mm) case to acommodate the elcos.

2 Likes

It’s too late for those caps, but it seems like you could leave slightly longer leads on the caps and then fold them back over the board to make it a bit more compact.

Alternatively, they sell lots of plastic spacers on Ebay to add a bit of height to those boxes.

You mean like the ones on the lower board?

It looks to me like the ones on the lower board are long enough to hang the caps off the end, but not long enough to lay the caps down over the board. With them laid down over the board I would think both boards would fit in the box - caps and all.

1 Like

Now i get what you mean. This could actually work.

122 x 66 x 39mm sized dual esc for under 80$ how awesome is that!

9 Likes

Awesome find Doomy…

2 Likes

This was @Tamatoa idea and @ziploc for the folded caps.

118x96x39 and 415g with cables.

16 Likes

Anyone tried HFI with the new vesc firmware on these?

1 Like

Ive tried it a bit on the bench. Seems to work fine as long as it’s dialed in correctly.

1 Like

Sweet!! Nice to know :slight_smile:

HFI is strictly for sensorless operation - right?

2 Likes

RS Components do some super cheap ABS enclosures, I think these dimensions would work for a really smart single setup
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/general-purpose-enclosures/1533682/

really nice fit! Will do the same :wink:

Remember to silicone the screws, threads aren’t waterproof.
Also don’t cheap out on the silicone. Get some proper silicone or sikaflex. Normal plumbing/bath silicone produces acetic acid while curing.
Which will then kill your ESC
…don’t ask me how I know :grimacing:

1 Like

Dude, that was fast :grin:. Thats so cool and the phase wires going to the sides would be convenient to top mount on a mountainboard.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of blue Loctite. It’ll seal and protect the threads, keep the screws from vibrating out, and still let you remove them easily if you want to open it.

1 Like

It’s meant to be a substitute for sensors so that a sensorless motor can have the same starting torque and low rpm performance as a motor with sensors

2 Likes

Hi, does it matter the orientation I place this part?

2 Likes

The one in the tweezers? If so that’s the BMI160 and orientation absolutely matters

1 Like

Yep, what should be the correct orientation? Couldn’t find any reference in the assembly guide.

I also found out that the USB ports I received from LCSC will not fit in the FOCer PCB. What happened here? :disappointed:

@Style Referencing the CAD drawing you can see that the indexing point of the IMU is positioned to the south east corner of the board - if the north point of the board is where the Electrolytic Capacitors are.

I would wait to get confirmation from @shaman or any of the others that did assemble with IMU’s in place.

Edit: As for the USB - can you show me the Order confirmation from LCSC with the line item that you got for the USB. (keep PII obfuscated please).

1 Like