DIY Onewheel Hoverboard

0.4 nozzle. Layer height usually 0.3 unless I need details. 4 perimeters with 40% infill. Exception to this is the wheel rim edge, it needs 100% infill otherwise the screws will be pulled through the print after some rough curb drops.

Not sure on the weight anymore. I think you need a little bit over 2kg of filament. I used scraps from material I had laying around.

2 Likes

Great, thank you

1 Like

how did you change the support settings? because when i slice all the parts im over 3kg of pla, and i dont know how to set the overhang angle to bee good, im also thinking of printing the hub on the other side so the wouldnt be so much sanding, what do you think?

Print the hub so the outside is on the bed that way you dont need so much support.

I used about 2-3kg on my parts

1 Like

that is what i was thinking about, thanks

This seems to be the preferred way to print indeed. I printed my first set with the outside of the hub pointing upwards and it needed a lot of sanding to make it fit around the motors.

1 Like

Has anyone thought about using an EUC speed controller? They should be able to use the balancing feature for a one wheel. The VESC’s max voltage is 60 and there are EUC that run batteries with batteries at voltages of 67.2 volts (a 16s battery) like the “King Song 16s.”

On the product page it appears to be heavier than a onewheel(38.5 lbs.) and it boasts a cruising speed of 18-22 mph. Also, it says it has a max current of 350 amps.

This all could allow more power on your P-hub and maybe get some higher speeds, but of course, this all depends if you can find one. I believe I have found one for about 15 batteries in series with a nominal voltage of 55.5(15 cells at 3.7) and 63 volts max (cells at 4.2) here for the Ninebot C+.

Unfortunately the max lean angle is 20 degrees and I know that this is a problem, but I’m just putting this thought out there.

20 degrees is more than you want on a Onewheel because the nose will start digging into the ground at about 25 degrees.

I don’t know if the firmware on the EUC boards can be customized tbh. You would probably need to change orientation of the board because in an EUC it will be mounted vertically and the board will only fit a Onewheel when it’s mounted horizontally.

There are some upcoming controllers for VESC that are higher voltage like the Stormcore.

Changing the Phub wire termination from star to delta currently gives a sustainable top speed of about 20mph on 13S. For most this is enough.

2 Likes

@BillGordon can we move this tread to the Onewheel category. Not sure if I missed it when I started the topic or if it precedes it. Seems like a more logical place for people to find it.

Trying to tune in my Onewheel further. Mahony Ki value was set to 0.1 but when doing some small figure 8’s the gyro would loose orientation and cause an offset for a short moment.

I now have the Ki value dialed down to 0.005 (could probably just set 0) and it seems to hold level better during the same manoeuvres.

6 Likes

What voltage can the original controller go to? Like can you run a 12s battery on it?

1 Like

Onewheel v1/plus = 58.4V max lifepo4 ~ 14S li-ion

Onewheel XR = 63V max li-ion 15S

I guess let me rephrase my question, can the original hoverboard controller handle a 12s battery or more?

1 Like

The original hardware takes up to 13S battery. However on the stock firmware the speed is limited by hall sensor readings. So you will not gain on speed.

I am dumb sorry…

1 Like

Link for those who don’t feel like searching

1 Like

Might be able to gain some efficiency, maybe a bit of range.

1 Like

I found an interesting project where they hacked the main hoverboard controller to do other things, I’m looking into it to see if there is a way to increase or disable that feature. Just google hacking hoverboard I can’t seem to post links for whatever reason

1 Like

Especially with the often not too good Hoverboard battery cells you can gain a little bit performance on torque I guess. I build 12S with the expectation to go a bit faster and at first didn’t understand why I wasn’t. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

The original hoverboard hack repository is not really actively maintained anymore I think.

Bipropellant version of the hack is not working as Hoverboard despite them claiming this in GitHub. You will fall over before it starts to balance. It is much too slow. And with no option to flash original firmware back you are the proud owner of a paperweight.

Another promising version is the FOC firmware hack from Emanuel. This is a very active branch of the hoverboard firmware that much, much further than the original hoverboard hack firmware. Not sure how far they are with the balancing part at this point as it is not the main target of the project. You can check in with them if you are into tweaking code.

If your goal is building a board that is driveable without further programming stick with the original firmware.

1 Like