Deck Extension?

Dudes.

I have this Rayne Demonseed and it’s previous owner gave it a really shitty chop. I want to fix it back to original shape, but also extend the wheel base by about 1cm each end.

Extending the wheelbase will put my bolt holes really close to the chop line which is probably not ideal. But thats what I want :laughing:

My plan is to use this fibreglass plate and epoxy it to the top of the deck, then fill in the whole drop through cutout and the missing end of the deck with resin and milled fibre.

After this I will skin the top and fibreglass the bottom for a bit of extra strength.

Will this work? Can you think of a better way? I really don’t wanna add any more material to the bottom of the deck as that will lift my ride height too much.

Blue is fibreglass plate
Red is area i need to ‘make new deck’
Yellow is new truck bolt holes

Deck will be top mounted to trucks, wheel base extension required to avoid this…

PLEASE HELP.

7 Likes

Top mount 5mm stainless plate to extend and reinforce?

2 Likes

The fibreglass plate will go on top and create the extension, I am not so much concerned about the strength of the plate as I am about the ‘butt joined’ resin fill in the drop through

2 Likes

Don’t fill with pure resin, mix it with sawdust filler?

3 Likes

This has worked well for me for small ding and chip repairs, but not so sure about adding in a whole new section of deck with it :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

IMO if you want to fill the gap to protect the wood grain from rotting, then use a flexible waterproof filler, then add wood veneer to make it look nice?

2 Likes

I want to fill the gap to be semi structural, flexi filler not gonna cut it.

1 Like

the truck + anti sinking pad will do a lot of clamping too. Maybe you could make the top one larger and hole 2 extra mount points.

Will the plate stay in place after you fill it with epoxy? Or is it just going to serve as bottom of the mold? Are you going to cut the slot for the drop through after it cures?

1 Like

Just for clarity here

Blue is fibreglass plate
Red is area i need to ‘make new deck’
Yellow is new truck bolt holes

3 Likes

The plate will be permanent. The drop through will be permanently filled and deck will be top mounted to trucks

2 Likes

Epoxy your red part. You dont want the tip or tail to flex or torque with what’s been taking out (That cut out design was not the best one for boards). Then just sandwich the tip with your FG plate.

Epoxy should set real nice in that area. You can also drill 1/2" deep hole laterally into the deck so when you pour that area, the epoxy basically makes dowels in the deck. Make sense lol?

4 Likes

Yeah i was thinking of the epoxy ‘dowel’ method too. I suppose the concern there is whether or not it may encourage the small bit of remaining deck to delam.

I think sandwiching is the way to go. I can put the 5mm plate on top and just add like a 2mm plate to the bottom :thinking:

6 Likes

Unless I did not understand correctly, you are also going to extent the nose with the resin right? About the length that was lost because of the cut?

I think that should be fine then, maybe add some kind of dowels or structural reinforcement that would go inside the deck and the resin too to resist torsion.

1 Like

Yes mate, i need to extend the deck as I wanna extend the wheelbase

2 Likes

like @J0ker said, sandwich and some dowels in both the deck and resin and I think it will be strong.

Or JBweld that thing to a completely new shape.

2 Likes

Just make your hole diameter small and then increase diameter a little. You only maybe a 3/16 -1/4" diameter. Plus once everything gets sandwiched, theres no way, from what I’ve experienced, it will not delam.

4 Likes

Stop channeling Brian lol.

2 Likes

Plate top and bottom, epoxy center sandwich FTW
:sandwich:

2 Likes

The sandwich method is looking good right now. Definitely open to other ideas tho!

2 Likes