How to reinforce drop through deck for top mount?

This and a better-built deck.

4 Likes

Just beginning to assemble, so the deck is bare essentially. I couldn’t find a good top mount deck with the right shape, size, and enclosure available.

I’m open to fiberglass, plates, filler, whatever

1 Like

I don’t think that’s his broken deck

2 Likes

Haha, not my deck. Just an example of hopefully what won’t happen. I’m working with a brand new LY Drop Carve

2 Likes

Send it out to me I’ll fiberglass it and frit it for cheap.

1 Like

Already got some @dickyho x braces on order, but the fastener hole walls are so thin, I’m not convinced that’s enough

@cfelzien the plan is to skin and frit the deck once all the parts are in and assembled. Do you skin too?

1 Like

I do anything skate related. Don’t want to take anything from sender though. He’s the best. And @glyphiks is ok to.

I’d get some open cell foam to fill the void and glass over it on both sides. Just remember when you reinforce an area the stress is often transferred elsewhere. I’m not an expert but I’d try to keep the reinforcements even across the deck.

1 Like

@glyphiks did a repair to end of a demonseed? Which had been hacked. with a fibreglass sandwich too and bottom of deck. Have a search for that, I reckon.

3 Likes
5 Likes

I wonder if there’s any benefit to filling the void with something solid - like route/jigsaw/sand a chunk of 2x4 to fit tight and seal it to the rest of the deck with wood glue. Then fiberglass over.

The wood chunk wouldn’t do much for truck support, but it may act to thicken the tail section so it’s less likely to snap

1 Like

If it’s a decent new deck, why would it snap?
Shouldn’t be any extra load by using top mount vs drop through.
Stiffening it cos you want extra strength is another matter isn’t it?
the plug isn’t likely to help, apart from as a base to lay fabric or another veneer over imho.

2 Likes

Yeah, good point. If the tail is thick enough for drop through, it’s thick enough for top mount. It’s so deceiving to the eye with that giant hole

@glyphiks, so the fiberglass glass plate + epoxy sandwich worked well for you? Awesome project

1 Like

Lol it worked. But saying it worked well would be an overstatement :rofl:

It was messy and a lot.of work, but I’m super pleased with the board now that it’s completely finished

2 Likes

Oh shit, i didn’t even realize it’s the :zap: :skull_and_crossbones: board! I’ve been admiring that build and skin job for awhile. It looks pro

Yeah how did you seal the epoxy in the ends while curing? Turn it vertical?

1 Like

Yep. Poured epoxy in with board vertical and masking tape to seal the open sides where the chop was.

Lets just say that the masking tape didn’t seal all too well :rofl: that’s where the messy part started :rofl:

1 Like

I bet like that butyl tape we use for enclosures would work great, or just quality tape like gorilla.

1 Like

Yeah but would you be stuck with a butyl tape nose forever? Maybe it just needed more hot glue :joy:

2 Likes

oh yeah… idk how to get it off

1 Like

The biggest problem i have found with hot glue and deep epoxy pours, is that the exothermic reaction of the epoxy gets hot enough to release the hot glue… resulting in mess :rofl:

4 Likes