BIG FOOT HAERO 2.0 <FINALITY + AntInnovation 63100 First Impressoins>

PLACEHOLDER STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Big Foot Haero gone and gobbled up a bunch of new parts.
Heres the overview of BFH 2.0…
Also first impression of the 3ds FINALITY drive (red loctite everything!) and first impression of Ant Innovations 63100 (ITS YUGE!!!)

Parts List

Finality drive link: Finality AT Gear Drive – 3DServisas

Overall first impression of haero 2.0

So far I done 2 short rides to grab food and I been loving it.
Pro:

• Comfort - The thing rides like a limo. 9 inch tires + shock pad + haero deck = bliss.
  • Stability - No crazy speed yet (30 mph) but with the current rides I had been on, the build is very stable. Controls are very predictable. No wobbles even going over potholes and cracks etc. Yellow shock blocks did there job and maintained good manuability while keep rock solid stability for medium speed on less then ideal roads.
  • Torque / Acceleration - TBD

Con:

• Weight and size - Even with the lighter 3DS components this build is heavy. The weight difference is very noticable when dragging the board around compared to BFH 1.0
  • Expensive - Not a very affordable build. I will not consider these parts best bang for your bucks. If you are trying to stretch your dollar this probably isn’t a good starting point. For a more affordable build see my DWII build here: MBS DWII First Impression - ESK8 Builds - Electric Skateboard Builders Forum | Learn How to Build your own E-board (yes yes I’ll move it over shortly)
  • Agility - The board is maneuverable enough to U turn on a single lane but its long, wide and heavy. I am actaully pretty happy with how agile it is for something its size but don’t expect it turn on a dime.

TBD:

• Torque and acceleration

FINALITY drive first impression

TLDR
After assembly and two rides I would say that the finality drive and fatboy 320 2.0 hangers are an impressive and expensive piece of kit. This kit is an improvement to its predecessors and is one of the best gear drive solution out in the market today. It offers some unique features that you can not find on any other kits however although the improvements are not trival, it would be hard to argue that they are “must haves”. Along with its price I would put this kit firmly in the “luxury” category. As with any high end product, this kit isn’t suitable for all the use cases. Due to its bulk its probably not the best choice for nimble application like a jump board or city riding on the sidewalk. The price means that this is def not for an afforable build, you can build a complete with the price of just the drive. For those that enjoy cruising on roads / offroad that want something a little nicer and easy to maintain and don’t mind it being a little spendy this is a good choice. Do you “NEED” this? No, def not. Do you “WANT” this? Yes! def yes!

Power Transfer
The power transfer was extremely smooth despite tires that are slightly wobbly. With other drive I can sometimes feel / hear the wobble as the force of the wheel gear would fluctuate slightly with the wobble of the wheel. This new design holds the hub and gears steady even with wobbly tires. Is it going to make or break a board? No. Is it super satifying? Yes!
(This isn’t knocking MBS because they are actaully pretty good compared to alot of the other tires out there. Tires for skateboard tend to suck, MBS doesn’t suck as much as alot of them. I would actaully recommend them given the choice we have open to us at this point)
The downside to everything fitting so tightly together is the “potential” loose of efficency. Theres very little free spin on the wheel. This could also be due the kit needed to be broken in. I also put potential in quotes as I don’t actaully see a noticable hit in mile per whr but this could be due to new larger lower kv motors.

Sound
The tire / wind / sound from the motors were clearly audible over the gearbox. The thing was very quiet… until I hit 20mph where it starts to sound something between a jet engine and grinding metal. This had no impact on the power transfer. It just starts whining when it gets up to higher speed. This also occures with my other set of 3DS helicals

Trucks
The trucks are solid. The fatboy 320 were solid trucks. These are better since they are lighter, more polished but pretty much the same thing. Both the old and the new trucks also share one element that worries me and that is the retention screw for the shock block. On the old truck I have had experience with the shock block popping out during hard carves due to the tip being shorter then the MBS screws. I suspect these may have the same challenges

Maintenance
I can’t really pass judgement on this category yet as my drives are still brand new. However from the way that the drive is designed, this drive should be relatively maintenance free. The bearings are all well protected and alot beefer than what we are used to seeing an a normal board. The piece are a locked in place with no movement due to fit / finish which should minimize wear and tear. Assembly isn’t that much more challenging than the average drive.

X factor
There are many small details and improvements that were made to the drive that shows alot of care / thoughts being put into the design / manufactoring.

Some examples of the attention to detail

• The bushing included in the kit solves for the metal to metal contact issue with the MBS metal base.
  • Theres a groove cut into the gear so when you slip the v ring on the gear it will lock inplace.

Ant Innovation 63100 first impression
Setup for the board is as follows.
Reduction ratio 1:4
9 inch wheels
70 amps motor
Duty Cycle limit 85%

Keep in mind the setting is artifically capping the motor’s capability.

Out of the box the motor is solid. Feels balance. For the setup it delivers more than enough power. Bridges / Ramps (8 degree slope). I did not feel like it was struggling at anytime during the ride. Nor did it feel like a crazy rocket ship that was about to rip my face off. Over a 8 mile (mostly relaxing, top speed 27) ride with some medium slopes to climb the max temp was a very unremarkable 121F. Grant it was 40F outside the motors were def unimpressed with what was thrown at it.

More flogging will be conducted in the near future but at this time I can safely say, 63100 antinnovation 160 (claimed) kv motors is sufficent to run a 1/4 reduction (this gets you the smaller gear box for 3DS finality) 9 inch build, for city ride. Efficency went to the gutter of course. My guess its mostly the bigger tires. 8inch → 9inch, 25whr/m to 53whr/m.

39 Likes

Love this!

Can I ask what bag specifically you got from Amazon? Thinking about switching to a light weight version.

3 Likes

Just updated

2 Likes

interested to hear about how the finality system is

3 Likes

same here the finality drives seem awesome

2 Likes

also how are the motors
ant innovation sell a bunch of parts which seem real interesting
are they the same as flipsky and unbranded aliexpress ones or are they actually different motors

1 Like

I am like 95% sure that they are from the same factory with flipsky.
They might be closer to the supply chain though, they were willing to custom even with just an order of 2 motors.

Keep in mind even if they were the same factory, these brand often customize their motors.
There are probably small difference between each brand that may / may not make a difference / justify the cost.

As for how they are. I rode them twice so far so only first impression. I am running 1/4 ratio wiht 9 inchers. I had no issues with torque or braking which is a good start :slight_smile: They feel balanced / detected with no issues. No weird mechnical noise but you can hear the electrical hum.

More on the opening post once I get out of work.

3 Likes

Bro Bro Gang Gang Bro Bro!!!

5 Likes

How many amps do they detect at?

I believe it was 5 unloaded. 10 after I slapped everything on :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, how much does it show as the detection result i mean. 6354’s show about 45A and 6374’s about 78A for example

Ah I can go check again later. Gah Metr doesn’t show it. Gonna have to go open the enclosure

1 Like

Can you connect to it with vesc tool?
Or just go to motor page after detection is done and settings get applied.

ya that involves me opening the enclosure :slight_smile: probably tomorrow its getting late here.

Ran the detection. It came back at 74ish.
Btw it would had been a nice heads up that it overwrites existing configs.
Would had ran a backup before running the detection.

1 Like

Well, you even get a prompt in vesc tool if you want to reset to factory settings if you like, so yeah, some parameters are changed regardless. You can do manual detection to avoid this

yes… I been building for a while… i don’t go through the wizard…I only done so as a FAVOR for you. So it doesn’t change the fact that warning would had been the courteous thing to do.

1 Like

Oh… sorry about that. Didn’t know you already got it fully setup.
Next time refuse the reset button and after detection don’t finish the wizard. It won’t save anything.

Settings you probably want to change now are current settings under motor config, fault stop timer to a lower cutoff time, foc switching frequency to 30khz.

In case you reset, you also want to look at the app config and do the calibration if the remote is ppm. Also check voltage cutoff settings, and the additional info tab for gear tooth number and wheel diameter for correct telemetry.

Lastly, make sure the power switch setting does what you want it to do (including the turn off timer).

I hope this quick list helps you out. And again, sorry for not informing you

1 Like

All good,
I know how to put it all back together.
Its just a bit of a pain in the ass.

Love it!!! Great job I hope to have something similar someday!

1 Like

Parts are all listed :slight_smile: All it takes is a kidney :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like