MoonPa - Lightweight eMTB (spelling out the eMTB so ZachTetra won't complain)

I had the Big Foot Haero as my daily for a while.

It was a super comfy ride but couple of things bothered me.

• It was very heavy
  • It was a battery hog
    ** Finality drives are super smooth but had quite a bit of drag compared to other gear drives
    ** 9 inch tires eats up miles from the battery
  • Wid-ish turn radius
    ** It wasn’t horrible, still agile enough for the city but with the widebase of the haero + the trucks it definitely traded some agility for comfort and stablity.
  • It was snowing and I was parnoid about the road salt and the rest of the crap ruining the haero deck

I already had Luna trucks, Moon Drive, MBS rockster hubs, MBS T1 tires laying around and they were some of the lightest if not the lightest eMTB parts.

I also had a bag / lipos laying around that also fit in the theme of a light build.

Trampa big boi deck being synthetic is completely water / salt proof (I hope)
I always like bounce on trampa deck but hated the concave.
Big boi deck has a much less aggressive concave + wings have wire channels so I can ride this build as a carver if I just get rid of the bindings.

Thus MOONPA was born

Parts list:

• Luna trucks
  • Moon Drive 1:4
    ** This drive is affordable and have tremedous free roll. It can be a little loud but I was able to resolved it by adding an additional bearing support for the motor right next to the motor spur. This made the drives significantly quieter / smoother. Lesson learn from 3dservis drives.
  • Torqueboard 6374 190 kv
  • Trampa Big Boi winged deck
    ** I really like this deck. The dog bone battery mounting solution is awesome. The softer concave + wings felt really comfortable on the feet while still maintaining the bounce / pop of older decks. What I don’t like is when you ask trampa to help you drill holes + mount the wings, they were not symetric. One side is 5mm further from the nose compared to the other. I mean @trampa I thought you guys have jigs for this. I was disappointed at the lack of percision in the final step of execution.
  • Stormcore + APEX enclosure
    ** Love and hate the apex enclosure. Not the easiest to work with but once you are done. Its awesome both from an aesthetic / water resistance point of view.
  • MBS rockstar II hubs
  • MBS T1 tires
  • LIPOs + Amazon water resistant bag as battery enclosure

Ride Quality

• This board is as comfortable as my haero build and thats running 9 inch wheels. The exception is when you hit really large pot holes. The additional cushion an RKP setup provides over channel trucks and the flex of the trampa deck really adds the ride quality.

Agility / Stablity
*Due to the decrease in wheel base (from the deck and RKP) and angle of the baseplate (15 vs 0) this board is significantly more agile than the haero build. Riptide bushing provides good stability on the truck but the flex of the deck resulted in some sketchy moment when going over poor roads at 25mph + speed. The haero with finality trucks would have no stablity issue at all in the condition

Efficently
*much better, the free roll difference is very noticable

Overall really enjoying the ride. I need to go up a flight of stairs to get to work so my arms are happier. Moon Pa will probably stay primary until the snow is all gone. Big Foot Haero will still say my summer ride :slight_smile:

14 Likes

It takes some nerve to call that light :joy:

4 Likes

Should I rename it to “light-ish” cruiser? :stuck_out_tongue: its alot lighter than the haero build BIG FOOT HAERO 2.0 <FINALITY + AntInnovation 63100 First Impressoins>

Title Zach approved now? :smiley:

Lol I can’t argue with that :joy:

Have you plopped it on a scale yet?

Yes, the decks can even deal with many kinds of chemicals. Water, salt snow, impacts etc. are no issue at all. This deck will be good for a life time.

2 Likes

So what’s the final weight? :nerd_face:

@tipsy @ZachTetra damn man.
Didn’t your mama teach you that its rude to ask for a girls weight? :stuck_out_tongue:
Super precision weighting method of holding the board with me standing on the scale then subtracting my weight ~ 16.6 kg vs ~(will weight it later) kg of the fatter haero.

1 Like

That’s super light!

after dealing with @ZachTetra i no longer can tell if thats sarcism :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Not sarcasm, that is actually really really lightweight

Scratch that my scale is all over the place…
Gonna grab another scale and try again

1 Like

Now its showing 16.6… GOOD NEWS! Turns out I wasn’t as fat as I thought I was

1 Like

I will ask anyone, equality and all that :joy:

But that’s a pretty typical way to weight a board, 37 lbs is still pretty hefty but definitely on the lighter end for eMTBs, mine is only 34 lbs but it’s technically still a longboard

2 Likes