Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

There’s a whole thread on this, but the TL;DR is that if you run your lipo down that far, you’ll very likely be buying new lipos in short order.

I wouldn’t run lipo below 3.71V/cell. Even if you wanted to, you’ll get almost no increase in range by doing so, and increase the risk factor many times over. So it’s all “cons” and no “pros”.

related:

I’m glad I have yet to go on a long ride with my lipo pack, I came from an RC background where it’s very normal to discharge lipos till 3.2v per cell and cycle life is rarely mentioned outside of one battery brand performing better than another. I’ll set my LVC higher today when I do motor detection for my new motors, thank you for the explanation.

2 Likes

What kind of clearances have y’all gotten away with on a street build?

10mm belt clearance

1 Like

Oh I guess I should clarify, ground clearance

that’s what i meant, ground to lowest non wheel part of my board was 10mm to my belt

1 Like

Damn nice and no issues on turning?

1 Like

no? i don’t see how that would affect turning, only issue i run into is that torque is too punchy that i need to slow down on the throttle

1 Like

~6.75" for me as the max clearance I’ve managed on my street build. Could probably safely go higher if I wanted to but that height is already extreme compared to other builds on here :rofl:

One day i might put together an extra tall build just because I can

1 Like

My board was around 2” from ground to bottom of my enclosure before I printed a couple spacers. Was fine for regular riding but would scrape on speed bumps.

2 Likes

I guess it doesn’t matter for belts but as you lean into a turn things get closer to the ground, like bottom mounted enclosures.

Lol yeah both my builds scrape atm. My hub board being the lowest at 1.5”

Crap, I answered wrong. 6.75" is the deck height but my battery is about 2 inches below that. So my actual clearance is probably around 4.5" give or take .25"

I have had a few close calls with the really cheap speed bumps that are tall but not very wide. They felt close to hitting the middle of my deck but missed it. Both enclosures didn’t come close to hitting it though since they’re not in the middle.

1 Like

I had a dream about skinning the bottoms of my enclosure sections with metal :sweat_smile: Something like 0.080” (2mm) aluminum. Not sure if it’s feasible or worth it though. Don’t want to drill and mechanically fasten to each section so I’d have to use silicone or epoxy of some sort… don’t know about it holding up to riding vibrations however.

1 Like

Sounds like the perfect application for VHB foam tape.

1 Like

True, I have a roll of it too. Maybe I’ll try cutting some aluminum pieces at work and give it a shot. I love weird projects.

1 Like

A few best practices for VHB tape…

• Thoroughly clean the two surfaces and finish with an ISO wipe.
  • Work only at room temp, about 25°C, or warmer.
  • Apply the tape and firmly press the surfaces together for at least 30 seconds.
  • Leave the assembly alone for at least two hours before testing the bond or using the assembly. This allows the adhesive to cold flow into all the microscopic nooks and crannies, significantly increasing the surface area the adhesive is grabbing onto (and strengthening the bond).

Good luck!

4 Likes

ah dang, i thought u were talking about like pulley / belt clearance

my lowest enclosure clearance was like 60-70mm something like that

1 Like

45mm is as low as i like to go. I’ve gone 40 and that gets mad scraped. 50 is great, barely any scraping at all.

3 Likes

Hey kids.
dual hub motors off of a Unity running 5.3

On a P42A 12S1P pack.

What amps can/should I set the battery to?

Running motors at 55 and -55.

Thanks

1 Like

2 Likes