Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

What do people like to inflate these to?

Tire says 36psi, but the same size off-road knobbies are 60psi… I usually run about 50psi

1 Like

So not exactly a beginner but my question is what I’d call a “dumb” question so: Does it really matter if my wheels are no longer a perfect cylinder? My front trucks ended up slightly bent a while back after getting run over by a car and they actually turned better after the fact. However, now 1000+ miles later my wheels are now slowly turning into cones.

I don’t think it is causing any handling issues, but if it does cause issues what would they be? I have another unused set I can swap them with but the replacement parts ended up being lower quality than my OG parts so I haven’t swapped the front wheels out.

I considered flipping them but haven’t been in the mood to test out anything that could be a bad idea/ turn out poorly.

Even hot glue can work to seal an enclosure for a battery so I don’t see why that wouldn’t work. (Don’t use hot glue on a metal ESC enclosure though since it could get too warm and melt the glue)

If u have seen the shape of the hollow wheels, then u would know there might be slight benefit of having a cone shape wheel while cornering.

Idk how much it actually affect with just regular riding, but have a read in that thread

4 Likes

I think I see what you’re talking about although it seems like there are some mixed opinions/ no solid answers on it. From what I see they could improve range via reducing rolling friction when going straight only, but that would only be true if the trucks are straight. Not sure if that end is helping me but the physics behind it is solid when used with normal trucks.

Alternatively, I’d definitely get more range by swapping the wheels since then there would be a gap between the outside of the wheels and the road. It does look like I’d still have less grip while turning though which seems like a bad idea. Guess I’ll need to go out and test if that is true or not since my test on carpet is inconclusive.

I do rotate my wheels — but so far the coning has only helped get more traction it seems like… I don’t know. I’m certainly not changing the wheels, despite having new sets. I have two skates with bad coning and others with slight coning. I really like how these ride.

3 Likes

Yeah I didn’t end up feeling much of a difference. At first carving felt slightly different but not to the point where I could describe it. It initially seemed slightly more responsive but it wasn’t consistent and sometimes I’ll do it that just on my own unintentionally/ I have no real idea what exactly I change to do it. How I skate really depends on my mood and the music I have on tbh.

That post did pop up in my search to see if others noticed something. Glad to see my setup isn’t the most beat up on here. Although my back trucks do look like they’ve taken more damage from rocks and other debris hitting them

You can definitely see a gap after I swapped them. Also it really shows how the truck is more bent on the side that took more weight of a car on it.

Didn’t bother to get the same photo without the swap since it is too hot outside to sit there and switch the wheels. Plus lying flat on the road to get a photo was very uncomfortable.

50-55 psi

3 Likes

That’s not the way I rotate them. I mean I rotate which wheels are powered. I never rotate which side of the wheel is the hanger side or turn the cones around.

Can someone help me with a broken stormcore power button. They are out of stock atm. Can i order a switch from amazon and wire it up?

1 Like

The newer stormcore buttons specifically have an led color coding system that correlates to battery voltage. It’s not needed to just to turn the stormcore on and off though. A momentary button of matching size and voltage rating should be an easy swap. Even easier if you find one with the right cable soldered on but that’s not as common as setting bare buttons ready to solder.

I might have an extra unity one I could send you. I’ll take a look and see what I have laying around.

3 Likes

Hihi, couple of clarifications. What country are you based in? I did a quick search on Amazon UK and it didn’t show anything helpful so it doesn’t look like it, but if you have a specific listing in mind and want to check if that is compatible then link it here

According to this, the pinout is relatively straightforward so you could buy a generic momentary button. If it comes with JST PH then great, if not it depends on how comfortable you are crimping or soldering but generally it’s not a big job. Easiest way would be to order a pre-crimped 6 pin JST PH connector and solder it to the wires. I’m not 100% sure why it seems to have 2 button and 0 ground connections though, looks like an error

Failing that, you could just ask in the Wanted Items Cheap/Free thread and see if someone local can send you one

1 Like

8 hours and no answer and then two in the space of 30 seconds lol

1 Like

that’s actually an odd one, but its how it works

the two STN is the mom pin and i maaaaaaaay have the model number of the stormcore on off button, gimme 2 sec

e: HBGQ16F-10E-J-RGB-S

1 Like

mqdefault

2 Likes

For the mechanically minded or manufacturing folks: where would I look for intro textbooks or classes on gaskets and seals, or weatherproofing in general? Maybe I’m coming at it from the wrong angle and I should be just looking for like mechanics of materials or something, is it the case that once you’ve covered a bunch of other related things like statics or friction stuff that it just sort of gets covered coincidentally and then you’re supposed to learn by experience?

This isn’t for anything important mostly just my own curiosity

probably https://scholar.google.com/ is a good place to start?

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=gaskets+and+seals&btnG=

For the new boardnamics gear drives. When fitting the hubs onto the mounting disc thing adapter. Is it a good idea to have the screws seated properly inside the adapter holes before tightening the wheel nut?
The tolerances are so tight i feel i can’t get all the screws properly seated in the holes with only my hands.

1 Like

I’d start looking towards engine design or human factors engineering books but they encompass so much that it would likely just be a page or two.

3 Likes

yes, engine design have one of the tightest tolerance in day to day item

2 Likes