Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Got it.
I swear I looked.

Ok.
About to go out at 35khz

Cool @jaykup
That definitely helped.
The difference in sound was not really apparent on the bench.
But it was definitely there riding.

There is still some loud and some whining…
But not as intense and not as much of it.

I left it at 35 and did 11 miles.

I may play around with values up and down later on.

What does this do?

Should I try it with it on and at 30khz?

1 Like

So as spring gets closer I’m gonna be slapping my build back together pretty soon after the annual maintenance and little fixes, I do want to add a led underglow with a neon led strip but I want to be able to turn it off and on Individually, I was thinking about a little separate battery so it doesn’t draw power from the main batteries but not sure how I’ll be able to charge that one without a BMS and secondary charge port. Any advice and tips will be appreciated

It’s for more accurate tracking of the motor and current… but since it’s taking 2x the samples, then the switching frequency has to be reduced to compensate for the extra load on the processor. With it enabled, 30kHz is max. It only works on phase shunt designs like the VESC 6.

It won’t hurt to experiment with it, but it probably won’t affect the sound of the motor

1 Like

So I’m a bit confused on what an anti-spark switch does, and if one is needed or recommended. Is it unsafe to not use an antispark?

You ever plugged something in and heard an unsettling POP?

Antispark switches either imply circuitry on an esc or switch that mitigates this popping when connecting to power. The idea being, when you make the connection, instead of a flood of power to your sleepy electronics, it’s a trickle at first but then powers everything up (all done so quickly you can’t even tell).

Some escs claim they have antispark protection built in. The switches that come with these escs are just dumb momentary switches. A lot of unities antispark circuits would die so people would just bridge the pins in the dumb switch (faking always on) and instead, use an xt90 loop key as a switch. It’s a connector with a built in resistor that does a phenomenal job at stopping the spark pop from happening. They are 100% the most reliable antispark used in esk8.

Some companies sell antispark switches separately where the antispark is built into the switch instead of the esc. These have been hit or miss over the years but I haven’t kept up with the newest iterations in the last year or 2.

2 Likes

u mean something like this?

2 Likes

Blue is just PPM

Red is full battery voltage. I’ve seen it used for remove voltage readout. Very useful

“Battery protection” is definitely just VESC voltage cutoff

1 Like

to be very clear, that means: “no battery protection”

That means it has to be useless for most packs then right? since the VESC itself can run on a 3s pack based on their specs.

I’m still used to ESCs where the only battery changes you can make are adding more parallel cells since all of mine were only made for one input voltage

Ya if you left it on it would eventually kill the battery.

1 Like

Which may be an issue since I’m used to an auto power off feature. Although, I do plug my board back up as soon as I get home so it wouldn’t risk draining the battery too low but would be bad for battery health long term if it doesn’t support an auto off feature. I thought I had read somewhere that it does but now I can’t find that info :person_shrugging:

I do have plenty of room left over in the case so I could try to add an external timer circuit if I am bothered enough by having to manually turn the board off.

Or just get a loop key in there haha

yes

you will junk your battery sooner or later by accidentally leaving it on

1 Like

You say that as if I wouldn’t also forget to remove a loop key. :upside_down_face:

I mean you remember to lock your car when you leave it

You lock your house when you leave - same thing, just need to get the habit in place.

Whenever I put my board in my car or on the rack, I take out the loop key. That’s just how it is.

What car? :rofl: and when I finally get a motorcycle there won’t be any door to lock

True, but I have on several occasions forgotten to lock my front door after getting back home. and woke up in the morning to an unlocked door Which I’d say is more relevant to forgetting to remove a loopkey.

Skill issue lel

After my board broke I left my battery at around 60% in my garage until I got a new board, and a few months later I check the battery and now it says its 30% is it still good?

what is the actual voltage

1 Like