Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

Blue is just PPM

Red is full battery voltage. I’ve seen it used for remove voltage readout. Very useful

“Battery protection” is definitely just VESC voltage cutoff

1 Like

to be very clear, that means: “no battery protection”

That means it has to be useless for most packs then right? since the VESC itself can run on a 3s pack based on their specs.

I’m still used to ESCs where the only battery changes you can make are adding more parallel cells since all of mine were only made for one input voltage

Ya if you left it on it would eventually kill the battery.

1 Like

Which may be an issue since I’m used to an auto power off feature. Although, I do plug my board back up as soon as I get home so it wouldn’t risk draining the battery too low but would be bad for battery health long term if it doesn’t support an auto off feature. I thought I had read somewhere that it does but now I can’t find that info :person_shrugging:

I do have plenty of room left over in the case so I could try to add an external timer circuit if I am bothered enough by having to manually turn the board off.

Or just get a loop key in there haha

yes

you will junk your battery sooner or later by accidentally leaving it on

1 Like

You say that as if I wouldn’t also forget to remove a loop key. :upside_down_face:

I mean you remember to lock your car when you leave it

You lock your house when you leave - same thing, just need to get the habit in place.

Whenever I put my board in my car or on the rack, I take out the loop key. That’s just how it is.

What car? :rofl: and when I finally get a motorcycle there won’t be any door to lock

True, but I have on several occasions forgotten to lock my front door after getting back home. and woke up in the morning to an unlocked door Which I’d say is more relevant to forgetting to remove a loopkey.

Skill issue lel

After my board broke I left my battery at around 60% in my garage until I got a new board, and a few months later I check the battery and now it says its 30% is it still good?

what is the actual voltage

1 Like

42.8V according to the voltmeter built into it.

It’s fine. Charge it up a bit. Also try figuring out what was pulling down your voltage.

1 Like

Could it be because my garage is pretty cold since its winter?

i doubt it. Got a LLT BMS? Or any kind of BLuetooth connected devices? What vesc?

Sadly I do not, its just been sitting there on its own since my stormcore caught fire

1 Like

They can drain any pack to near 0v if not careful

1 Like

Anyone know the size of the large bearings in BNM1 drives? Mine are rusted to shit and need replacing.