Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

The cold should only affect the total capacity of the cells, so there is a chance it caused some amount of drainage, but I don’t know how much it can affect them. Also the same pack returns to the same total capacity it had before when it warms up outside again. basing this on electric cars since that is a well known issue for them in cold climates

It doesn’t say on the seal? If not can you get the dimensions?

1 Like

Can you expand upon this? Do they have some amount of parasitic drain that can do that over time or what?

This is the result of a 3s 6Ah lipo pack, stored at 3.8v per cell, connected to llt bms for 6months without touching it. Xt90 connector was not connected to anything, only balance wire to bms.

1 Like

Good to know, I’m already in the habit of checking my individual cell voltages several times a day which is hopefully excessive. Thanks for the clarification.

I have new 10mm axles (Savage Trucks) and am placing the new 10mm bearings. Unfortunately, they didn’t come with spacers and 10mm spacers appear hard to find.

Is using a stack washers to fit flush with the inside margins of the bearings a stupid idea? Or should I keep searching for spacers?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

1 Like

Low quality washers aren’t finished to be flat on both sides, so you could be applying uneven pressure to any bearings the washers sit next to. If they dont touch anything but spacers, I don’t see any issues doi git

Hi y’all, would someone be able to look over my vesc settings to make sure I am not missing anything. I am running two Racestar 5065 200kv motors (max current: 46A), two flipsky vescs (4.12, 50A continuous / 240A peak), a 10s4P battery using p42a cells and an Evolve AT kit:

Settings (per vesc)
Motor Max: 45A
Motor Min: -35A
Battery Max: 40A
Battery Min:-16A

Are these good settings?

2 Likes

They appear to be fine dude!

2 Likes
3 Likes

Stooge Race Boards sells a great set of 10mm spacers, buy them and be happy.

Link?

1 Like

Send Moe an email and he will sell them, its not on his website.

One of my 4s lipo batteries is dead. I’m down from 16s to 12s for my battery source. Do I need to adjust any vesc settings before riding again?

My setup
4x 6374 190kv motors
Ubox spintend
Makerx d75
Hoyt puck remote
Split remote reciever to ESCs

Was 16s battery, now 12s.

Yes; your voltage cutoffs

2 Likes

I have a stormcore 60D+ issue.
I finished a ride a few days ago and turned off the board. I went to turn it on the next day and it wouldn’t. This has happened before and I usually just have to disconnect and re-connect the battery. I did it a few days later and my boards battery was almost dead, and my stormcore was 27° C in a 19°C room (80F and 66F for the americans).
My stormcore had been warm this entire time (4-5 days), draining the battery and not turning on. It had a green light when I looked at it too but that’s all I know.
It’s connected to a battery built by @Skyart so I doubt there is a fault there. If anyone is familiar with the issue please tell me what I need to do.
Thanks.

Could be that your momentary switch has failed and is stuck in the “closed” position which, as I understand is rare. If this is the case, you could add a loopkey to your circuit as a way to disconnect the Stormcore from the battery instead of having to open it up to do so. You could also try replacing the switch but it’s possible that the built-in anti-spark circuit has failed in which case a new switch wouldn’t accomplish anything.

I’m def not an expert tho.

This thread may shed some light or else reach out to Lacroix directly for support.

@jaykup might also be able to shed some light.

2 Likes

I think its a switch problem as well

You can find cheap replacement 12v led switches that work but i think you want 5v.

open the enclosure, unplug the battery, unplug the power button from the stormcore, then plug battery back in, then two things can happen:

1. if stormcore power itself on right when u plug in the battery, then ur AS is stuck in closed position and u will need a loopkey to hard disconnect to turn it off

2. if stormcore doesn’t power on, then get something metal and short the MOM pin on the power button port on the stormcore, this should power on the stormcore. if that works, grab a multimeter and check the continuity on the power button MOM pins, if it beeps, then u need a new button, if it doesn’t beep, report back.

2 Likes

Thank you very much guys.
While I fix the board or wait for parts is there any risk of a battery fire? I would’t normally ask this but the fact that there was current flowing through the ESC for a few days is rather concerning.