Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

True, I have a roll of it too. Maybe I’ll try cutting some aluminum pieces at work and give it a shot. I love weird projects.

1 Like

A few best practices for VHB tape…

• Thoroughly clean the two surfaces and finish with an ISO wipe.
  • Work only at room temp, about 25°C, or warmer.
  • Apply the tape and firmly press the surfaces together for at least 30 seconds.
  • Leave the assembly alone for at least two hours before testing the bond or using the assembly. This allows the adhesive to cold flow into all the microscopic nooks and crannies, significantly increasing the surface area the adhesive is grabbing onto (and strengthening the bond).

Good luck!

4 Likes

ah dang, i thought u were talking about like pulley / belt clearance

my lowest enclosure clearance was like 60-70mm something like that

1 Like

45mm is as low as i like to go. I’ve gone 40 and that gets mad scraped. 50 is great, barely any scraping at all.

3 Likes

Hey kids.
dual hub motors off of a Unity running 5.3

On a P42A 12S1P pack.

What amps can/should I set the battery to?

Running motors at 55 and -55.

Thanks

1 Like

2 Likes

Are you optimizing for battery lifetime, range, or performance?

1 Like

Yes.

But really I would like to try performance first, with a dash of battery lifetime.

Not much in the hopes for range…

30A battery max (15A + 15A) should be in the right zone

1 Like

Ok… Now bear with me…

I can’t remember on the Vesc App for a Unity is the setting for a Unity should be out in as 15 per side for 30.

Or as 30 for 30 Total…

As long as you are running vesc firmware (5.2, 5.3, etc) then it’s amps per side (15A in your case). If using the older unity firmware then it’s combined, but I’m not even sure if the vesc app works with the old firmware.

2 Likes

no vecs doesn’t work on fw23.46 (old-latest unity fw)

3 Likes

Thanks.
So I have it right here.
I always struggle to remember this one…

I have a few set ups still running on 23.64 and to manage those I have to use the Focbox UI app.

They do not work with the Vesc App.

2 Likes

Can someone tell me what the “ABS Tacho” value means in the vesc tool mobile app? Its at 9 and not sure what it means?

1 Like

It’s worse than the ABS Burritho that you definitely don’t wanna fuck with

2 Likes

or the IBS versions :face_with_spiral_eyes:

stands for tachometer, which is a device that use to measure rotation speed (rpm) of either a shaft or disk

in vesctool, ABS usually means absolute

idk what it does tho, so don’t ask me :joy:

By that logic… His absolute rpm is 9?

It’s labeled tachometer, but is it? You can’t trust labels in VESC.

1 Like

Ive got BN press fit pulley’s and the bearings they use are 7mm width - my question is can i use 6mm width bearing in them without any trouble? - all the other dimensions are the same (22mm OD 10mm ID), just the width is slightly less. Looking at these bearings specifically

2 Likes