Why is no one making / selling top mount enclosures?

Brian loves carbon fiber, I’m pretty sure he was extolling it’s virtues earlier .

Carbon is the new tinfoil? Will it block 5G ? I don’t want to get herpes, or space herpes

1 Like

I actually love carbon fiber composite, it’s very svelte.

Unfortunately, it’s not super useful so far on electric skate vehicles. At least, not while glass fiber composites exist.

1 Like

please, if eretron can run a shit load of fiber optics through a deck, i think we can manage one antenna XD

1 Like

@EreTroN

electroplate a wooden box
stylin top mount achieved.

5 Likes

OIL SLICK

lol

3 Likes

if you have to run an external antenna, rethink your materials. :rofl:

2 Likes

Make box in a desirable shape, put battery in, put lid on.

Make a mould for a huge silicon sleeve in any colour variation you want and thread it on like a sock to make it waterproof(no not submersible) - > profit, pretty cheap approach and it should work just fine :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

make sure you wear a lab coat, or at least clothes :rofl:

2 Likes

Thats a great idea. Starting off bare bones, maybe the ‘pro’ version can come with usb port(s) and fuel gauge :ok_hand:

That’s cuz you plebs are still using remotes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But for real, the improvement to the stiffness/weight ratio of carbon-on-wood vs a pure wood plank is on the scale of 25%, it’s not huge. Don’t be lured in by the performance aspect of it

3 Likes

Wait… hol up

We’re supposed to wear clothes?

3 Likes

It’s not all about radio. Glass also has physical properties aside from that which seem to be more compatible with electric skate vehicles.

Yeah, i was agreeing with you. I just wanted to dispel the notion that carbon can let you build lighter. It can, but the difference on a typical esk8 is tiny
You would have to do something dumb like build a board around a hollow tube to see any benefit

7 Likes

they have to say that for legal reasons. I never wear clothes while working with toxic, corrosive chemicals because that’s how you ruin your clothes. Hole in skin? heals. Hole in clothes? well… wait for a JCPenny’s sale again i guess.

10 Likes

ironically, only the muriatic acid method says you need clothes.
i used to wash my hands with the stuff when i did boat detailing work, though. im not very bothered by corrosive substances.

i gargle with 99% isopropyl every morning.

3 Likes

Idc if a bottom mount enclosure was 100% indestructible… I would never put one on a true mtb. The amount of rocks and stumps I drive over would full stop any enclosure material. I would be dragging like a mofo. Not to mention how you can no longer go over hills without bellying out. I get that no one wants a top mounted box for the looks… Hence why this topic and others exist.

5 Likes

yeah ground clearance is the primary issue, which is why we need 12" tires.

1 Like

make the switch to everclear and thank me later :wink:
guys, just make the entire edge of your board a chainsaw, and never worry about clearance again.

3 Likes