Why is no one making / selling top mount enclosures?

i legit cant imagine the 1.5 inches~ of clearance i would lose from a strong bottom mount being that much different from a top mount, functionally. if it had some kind of rolling bar cage on it, even better.

There are ways…

8 Likes

best commercial ever.

2 Likes

I can lol. I hit my front hanger on debris sometimes. A whale belly on the bottom would be scarificed to the forest in no time. Not to mention jumping with an under enclosure :grimacing:

3 Likes

dodecahedron would look really cool, but be very impractical

3 Likes

in all seriousness though, single stack, steel, bottom mount doesnt seem like it would cause issues to me. using my nearest board as reference, i have about 2.5 inches clearance from the enclosure, running 5 inch tires. switch to 8, and that hits around 4 inch clearance. and this things drop through.
i think a full steel chassis style mountainboard would not only work, but be badass.

4 Likes

Design it and build it and I’m happy to test it out :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I have two antennas run up to the top of My Deadly Sin (the pitbull) because the whole thing is carbon fibered (remote and Metr)

Going for the ESK8 Core i9 look?

WJ8oVKuX67fc7kJuCaSRV

8 Likes

Hell yeah

1 Like

Honestly with the addition of some glitter, rhinestones and imagination, it’s hard to beat a pelican case. Checks all the boxes.

10 Likes

Oooohhhh…a revenue-generating opportunity…ESK8 Bedazzling Kits!

6 Likes

11 Likes

Hear me out… top mount enclosure… that goes full length.

Take for example a Haero Bro, add a straight section of 8 ply canadian maple or whatnot between the tips. Sandwhich all your usual electronics between the two decks. Support and seal with sidewalls. Now you’ve got a fat board, with big range, than can grind over anything you can throw at it. No ugly topside equipment.

Fuck it, you really only need to support the rider’s feet. What’s the depth of a single stack enclosure? 1", 1.5"? Add 2" riser brackets under each foot to stand on. Put all electronics on the topside of the deck. Make it pretty. Cover everything.

Or we start building modern (p)EVs, with battery pack reinforced into the frame/deck as a structural element. What Hunter boards is doing now.

3 Likes

3d printed generative design box with epoxy infill. It’ll take some serious time on your 3d printer and you would need a large one (or build together 3D printed parts like legos, then pour epoxy; joining parts) the results will be guaranteed to be baller. Especially using a clear filament with no infill. Sealing the enclosure could be as simple as a silicone mat clamped against your deck. All your port holes can be easily integrated into the 3D print, most ip67 connectors have CAD downloads making design a breeze. If I had cloud credits for fusion360 I’d throw some designs out there, given i have the time. Too many projects right now lol.

1 Like

The main use case for GD is complicated loading scenarios and tight physical constraints. While I enjoy the crazy organic shit it can come up with, a battery enclosure wouldn’t benefit much. You still have to tell it where to put the fasteners, etc.

Also, clear filament never prints clear. Translucent / frosted at best.

1 Like

i see absolutely no functional difference between that and a strong bottom mount, besides that the deck is what stuff would hit. and if were that concerned, why not just make the enclosure out of the same material as the deck? or just bolt a bro to a bro and add some sidewalls?
if the problem is somehow “steel enclosure will catch stuff but maple deck wont,” which i dont understand, either, bolt on a few plies of maple or bamboo?

1 Like

Top mounted has more ground clearance, which equals less impacts

1 Like

i get that, but if were going “full deck top mount” like he was saying, were saving, what? 2 inches at most?
honestly the “bolt a bro to a bro” seems like the best idea to me. extra bolts on the tails, mount trucks on the bottom bro, you get the clearance of top mount with the clean look of bottom.
hell, wooden or metal side walls, do a nice big cutout in the top one, abandon the bolts and just e6000 it, and make it into an improvised integrated deck.

1 Like

We’re building boards, not armoured cars

1 Like