Wheel Guard Ideas

Let’s figure out how we can design nice looking wheel guards for riding in rain or just wet roads. I hate it when just few minutes of riding on wet roads had my shoes and pants soaking wet from the sprays from the wheels.

It’s pretty easy to make it for the front tires because there are no motors and the same guards can be used for different trucks by using different clamps. Rear can be a bit tricky.

Few examples:

Clamp and guard integrated solution below. Disadvantage is that it’s restricted to the truck type and uses needs supports from the base to print.

There are two holes on one end to hand flexible rubber guards to be printed from TPU. If I bring the plastic down too close to the ground, I can risk it getting cracked because of impact from rock, stick etc. TPU will just give way to rocks and hard object while still keeping mud in.

Files are here:

21 Likes

Currently I just have them for Caliber and Trampa Vertigo trucks(also fits Kaly) for 6"(~160mm) and 8"(~200mm) wheels. But I can make more variants by modifying a few params here and there in my CAD file.

1 Like

I love your wheelguard designs, its a shame that I need to keep it stealth :smiley: Its not only good for wet roads but also against parts of insects and snails and stuff :smiley:

1 Like

Ah Germany! I see. Sorry you have to miss out, for now.

1 Like

really nice design!

Would love to have a MBS truck adapter for 8"

2 Likes

Can you say why only certain parts are covered and why it’s not the same front and back @mishrasubhransu

THIS! Thank you for doing this. I have to ride my AT to work on rainy days but the deck and pants/shoes still get wet even when i try riding slower to prevent splashing. Does the 6" one fit on the Trampa Urban Thread tyre since it’s 6.5"? Also i would like to request a Trampa Vertigo/Infinity for 8"

Edit : oops, saw that there are 8" ones already

Would the front guard be a better place to mount headlights than the deck since it will point in the direction of motion?

It’s based on whats’s necessary to make sure that the wheels don’t spray water on you. It’s different in front and back because of how tires rotate and where(think tangential direction) they can throw water.

Yes, it’ already available. There a few variants. Maybe you can help me make sure what works? And I can update it on thingiverse accordingly. You should start with the clamps first and then the wheel guards themselves.

No. The 6" is perfect for 155mm wheels(6x2 fastwheel) but not for anything bigger than that. I’ll make one for the 6.5" wheel. Can you get me a sketch of what the truck dimension might be so that I can make a clam p for you?

1 Like

Ah, my 6.5s are on the trampa hangar also so all is good. However, may I suggest a Haggy Kahua truck clamp?

Cool. You’ll find the 6.5" guard in the thingiverse link in a couple of hours.

If someone has a models/measurements for the truck, I can easily make clamps for it.

2 Likes

@Linny can you tell me the width of the 6.5" wheels, when full?

Assuming they are 165x46mm wheel, I have posted 2 files. Test is supposed to be printed first and checked that the it looks almost vertical when mounted. You’ll realize what i am talking about when it’s mounted. If tests works, then print the main one. By default it’s for left front wheel. You’ll have to mirror it for the right one.

1. test_front_splash_guard_165x46_for_trampavertigo.stl
  2. front_splash_guard_165x46_for_trampavertigo.stl

Due to lack of space(for bolts) on my elofty pneumatic setup, I decided to go for an integrated clamp and wheel guard design. The only downside is that I’ll waste some additional material on supports printing it and the surface not being smooth. In the printer, let’s see how it comes out.

There are two holes on one end to hand flexible rubber guards to be printed from TPU. If I bring the plastic down too close to the ground, I can risk it getting cracked because of impact from rock, stick etc. TPU will just give way to rocks and hard object while still keeping mud in.

4 Likes

This is a great idea and one i’ve thought of taking a stab at for 83/90/97mm wheels, but I pretty much only want them to be “clip on/off” because I rarely ride my board in wet environments even if my board is technically water resistant. It’s annoying getting stuff thrown up onto your pants.

I might give this another shot since I don’t seem to be the only person who wants something like this

2 Likes

I have a design in progress that is quick removable and foldable, so you can leave on your backpack and quickly install if needed, not much progress since it hasn’t rained in a while

1 Like

Do share, that sounds like a great idea.

1 Like

So I got it printed and assembled with just 2 screws. Easy peasy. Of course it’s totally raw. Need to sand a color for it look nice like I have done before.

You can see that the surface finish on the side towards the center of the truck is not that good. That’s because it was printed on supports. But that sacrifice is worth it because of how easy it is to put it on.

4 Likes

How thick are those parts? I’m thinking of making some for my bergs with a similar fixed clamp

4mm, but needs to be thicker towards the center . I have ridden more than 500km(and counting) without any failure. It failed a few times before that and I have made those sections stronger since.

I have only tested them with 10walls+100%infill + petg + no cooling.

2 Likes