What do we consider stable? (VESC firmware, Community Fork Discussion, (SERIOUS)

i’d like to use the vesc to control the motor for regen

in the first iteration i’d start out with a separate micro-controller to vary the “braking strength” to maximize output as windspeed varies. second iteration would add servo to vary the blade pitch. ideally the third iteration will incorporate these control loops into the vesc firmware itself

@Mr.Electronicist

4 Likes

4th iteration and you use the vesc to spin the windmills, and harness the power of god as you control the weather over your home town, to force sunny days when you plan to skate.

4 Likes

Also weapons systems

https://forum.esk8.news/uploads/short-url/y7L6cD2e50JrJ486kjn7wsrQG9j.pdf

4 Likes

Eboards are actually a class of weapons, AAV. Ankle assault vehicle.

6 Likes

IIRC, a guy talked about this application of couple of years ago, on the vesc forum.
What you need to code is a MPPT. There is no such thing ready-to-use in the VESC FW.

1 Like

Hey I told you that was our secret…
hqdefault

I imagine the weapons systems are probably UAV related

7 Likes

I’m glad to see Ben going to a development branch, my question is do you guys consider 4.2 stable?

Any reason to hang back with Acks 3.103 still, for a dual drive via canbus? I think I remember hearing about people having issues with motors stuttering at certain speeds causing wobbles… is this only an issue with dual vescs like the Unity or does it affect dual single ESCs as well? I setup HFI recently on another board and it’s beautiful… and if this wobble thing doesn’t affect single ESCs I’d love to set it up on my main board.

Anyone who ran 4.1-4.2 who went back to Acks? why?

I did setup 4.1 a while back but it was acting very strange on my setup so that’s why I went back to 3.102… but I’d be willing to give it another try, but before spending a couple hours digging into my enclosure it would be nice to hear any thoughts you all have.

1 Like

The wobble was due to the time constant being changed from 1000 to 4000 in the motor detection wizard in fw4.01. This caused shenanigans, and was corrected in fw4.02. It does not have anything to do with singke vs dual, to my knowledge.

Fw4.02 is what I am running now, and it seems to work well, but I have put less than 100 miles on this configurations so that that with a grain of salt.

Im going to echo smarter folks than me and say that unless you have a feature that you really want and are not getting from ack’s, then stick with what works. HFI was that thing for some folks, but thats up to you. I personally really like smart reverse, and with VESC6 MK3’s, I have to use 4.xx fw to take advantage of the soft-off feature, so Im kind of stuck.

2 Likes

My personal opinion is that if you don’t need HFI, then use Ackmaniac 3.103.

However, HFI is very, very good.

3 Likes

Thats why i’m considering switching… HFI. I’d like to see if it can do better than sensors with DDs cogging a tad bit at start.

I have not heard of anyone trying HFI on DD yet, so be sure to let us know how it goes! Also keep in mind that several folks have had trouble updating fw from acks to to 4.xx, running into veeery long upload times. It goes smoother if you update to 3.65 then 4.02.

Or so I have heard.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip, it’s true… I’ve done the switch a few times and thank god for our Precompiled VESC Tool Archive for the right tool to make the process painless. VESC tool 1.25 is a perfect in-between from Acks to 4.x.

HFI on DD, since I haven’t heard anything from anyone else, that’s exactly why i’m wanting to try it. Is there nobody else who has tried HFI on their TBDDs or elofties who can chime in?

2 Likes

Are you guys still using Ackmaniac or is the VESC original firmware better now?

I am setting up a pair of TBVESC6 and would prefer to do it once only.

1 Like

I’ve been using FW5.1 with no issues for around 500 miles. I pull the temp sensor wires from my motors, but that’s just my own personal paranoia left over from the temp sensor bug in FW4.2 that caused me to crash at 35mph :sweat_smile: I dont know if that temp sensor bug is still present in current versions or not.

*Forgot to mention that in FW5.1 you still need to manually change “Duty Cycle Current Limit Start” to 90% or less (85% is the fan favorite) for each motor, after you run motor detection.

2 Likes

Unless you have a 4WD setup or experience any can problems, FW 5.2’s bugs are very minor and documented. Ackmaniac is so old you’d have to be crazy to still use it.

4 Likes

Where are they documented? I know there has been lots of discussion about lots of FW versions in lots of threads but that’s a lot to dog through, especially for noobs just loading a potentially buggy firmware for the first time. Do we have a single centralized place where we document bugs and bug fixes for various versions?

1 Like

If you consider “the internet” to be a single location, then yes. But realistically, I spend a decent amount of time combing through the Vedder forum for bug fixes, and usually those threads trail off with no actual resolution written.

I’m still unsure of how to set up a PAS in VESC tool, which is what’s deterred me from seriously planning out an ebike rebuild.

The forums are loose ground, and it takes a good amount of trudging to find things.

3 Likes

Yep, that’s something i think needs fixing. I think a wiki would be good. I might write up a basic framework tomorrow.

3 Likes

that would be great

Bottom of this thread I suppose

bug 1 is to do with CAN, more than 2 ESCs / some ESC configs like ESCapes.

bug 2 is if max duty cycle limit is equal to max duty cycle current limit start

other than that I don’t know of anything major that would impact esk8 use cases.

1 Like