What do we consider stable? (VESC firmware, Community Fork Discussion, (SERIOUS)

It has less to do with the software version and more to do with the Prusa MK3S clause.

Don’t you worry your pretty little head about it. Just sign it.

(I flagged myself because I like the attention)

8 Likes

Great initiative @DerelictRobot :+1:

6 Likes

The connected VESC has old, but mostly compatible firmware. It is recommended to update it for the latest features and best compatibility.

but is it? is it really recommended? …

it’s super cool that new vesc-tool is allowing configuring settings on older vesc firmware, and not seemingly forcing an upgrade. but knowing what’s a really “recommended” will be a lot harder to achieve. I do hope this open road effort can add that value. spoken as someone whom v3.63 tried to kill I would want that. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Noting some relevant convo that popped up off topic in another thread:

3 Likes

@DerelictRobot having met the man (BV) and Jeff and all, is this fork still a thing?

5 Likes

Good question!

Some things are definitely going to shift around, but what I can say is that the coordinated community effort and the goals we’re trying to accomplish look to be lining up better than we could have hoped for.

More details in the near future on this, but the three of us are in complete agreement that collaboration that unifies the development efforts in ways that make the most sense is something we all want to work towards moving forward. @Deodand and Benjamin were hard at work last week on adding dual ESC support, which is a huge first step towards that.

16 Likes

For what I (painfully) understand, a bit of direct communication between professionals was obviously missing.

5 Likes

The last thing I want to do is speak for Vedder, I feel like people speaking on his behalf is partially why we arrived at this issue in the first place.

With that said, our discussions were illuminating in that we all have the same exact goals, which is unsurprising. From here it’s just a matter of making sure that we have direct and active communication on efforts moving forward.

I have good faith we can keep our goals & intentions aligned in a way that the community benefits the most and prevents hearsay or misrepresentation.

15 Likes

If he didn’t want that, then he would speak for himself.

That being said, I wish more folks shared your dislike of hearsay. There are certain members who seem to put words into Benjamin’s mouth all the time.

8 Likes

I don’t think it’s fair to place expectations on how anyone chooses to spend their time. That was one of my primary reasons for deciding to get involved; I’d rather do things myself than expect others do to it for me.

Keep in mind VESC project is bigger than esk8 and human beings only have so many hours of the day. I feel like these forums are most useful for those who prioritize esk8 over VESC technology development, so it makes sense he’s not involved here.

I think anyone should take 2nd hand hearsay with a grain of salt, regardless.

9 Likes

Benjamin did create dev branches for both VESC Tool and the FW repos. :+1:

10 Likes

Sorry to be so ignorant(and curious) on the subject but what are the applications of Vesc, outside esk8?

1 Like

eBike, EUC, cablecam, robotics…
A guy is even developing an application of paraglide towing.

8 Likes
  • hydrofoil
  • roller skates (not making this up)
3 Likes

Don’t forget the vesc powered musical instruments.

6 Likes

Link? I have to see this.

1 Like

It was posted here before, I forget where…We are gunna get off topic’d any second… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQU22mn8h_M

6 Likes

Thanks for your answers.

Ebike, hydrofoil, rollerskate or paraglide towing seems physically in the same range than esk8.

1 Like

i’ve been meaning to find out if the vesc architecture is suitable (accurate, efficient, robust) for use in windmills. this is probably not the right thread, but i haven’t found a more opportune moment to bring it up

5 Likes

@sesat in regards to wind mill use. Are you talking about use with the main generator motor, and using the vesc braking for regen? Or more for the positional motor that will rotate the windmill as the wind changes?

2 Likes