Weird theories and ideas thread! any ideas welcome

I think the issue is that it’s fairly durable for static parts, but because everything vibrates like crazy in an eskate then even a “static” part like a fastener that’s in place acts like a moving part. Even though the movement isn’t immediately visible, any two surfaces/parts that are in contact wear against each other to some extent in a high vibration environment. That combined with the fact that any small gaps in the coating undermine big chunks of it.

Somebody with more mechanical experience could probably confirm or deny that fairly easily, but that’s my logic anyway

I think that would probably work pretty well, but it would be a little difficult to ensure you didn’t trap moisture underneath the coating

i don’t have a real account there, but i made an account there to troll for a bit, then never log back in :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Yah so you’re newer than Brian for sure too

2 Likes

definitely, and actually some of my knowledge is from Brian’s answer in the noob thread

2 Likes

Urethane wheels… For a car.

1 Like

Hope you have a forklift for a tire change. Using some very rough estimates from the Googles:

100kg/m3 (density of PU) * 2m3 (~18x12.5" tire volume) = 200kg per tire, definitely gonna be less because it assumes a solid core, but still way heavier than pneumatics.

2 Likes

I know it’s not realistic or efficient I just want my car to have that glorious blue cag grip.

3 Likes

Actually, since me and @b264 were talking about this one dude who glues bike tires over his pu wheels… What about pneumies with a… let’s say, 3-5mm layer of soft urethane over them? I am now talking about wheels for skateboards again, but it could solve that “little” weight problem.

The Trampa Gummies are probably the closest we’ll get to that, and possibly whatever Brad at Riptide was working on. I don’t think PU is flexible enough to compress with the pneumatics.

1 Like

electronic steering trucks?

insted of a bushing it has a pressure sensor

around 5cm into the truck hanger it thins down and has a thick bearing placed in it
then another piece of the hanger goes over it
a motor stator attaches through there (loctited to the hanger on the outside and the inner race of the bearing
when the stator turns (signalled by the pressure sensor) it turns the truck

explained it really badly but i think it has potential (will draw up some pictures of what i mean)
adds adjust ability and no need to change bushings in order to change how carvy / speedy you want it

2 Likes

green is the first bit of the hanger
red is bearing

blue is second bit of the hanger (tried showing the gap where the green bit would insert into and the hole in the blue would have the the stator running through there and into the bearing an out the other side.
the stator would be loctited in place

really bad drawing (sorry) im not the best at art

1 Like

Ive had this on my mind for a couple days. My current board has rkp trucls, but the back one is nearly zeroed, and mounted backwards. As the natural evolution of that ridestyle, I eventually want to make a board that is 2 pieces, attached via a metal center tube so they can rotate independently. Kind of like a ripstick, but with trucks instead of just a couple casters. I may even buy a used ripstick to prototype this, even though i never liked the things. With such a setup, one could lean their front and back foot in opposite directions, which would give you a lot more interesting control, imo. Thoughts?

Ive also been long considering motor assisted turning. My idea is pressure sensors applying more force to the motor/s on one side than the other, but i havent thought it through much further than that, and current esc’s would not support such a feature very easily. Im thinking arduino could solve that, though.

1 Like

anyone ever considered bead locks for Mountainboard wheels so you can run at lower pressure?

1 Like

Would it even matter on a tubed tire? I’d be more wary of pinch flats running at a low pressure.

2 Likes

Balloon tires for a beach board. Its my most florida idea.

1 Like
2 Likes

this kind of suspension system in our boards

or any kind of pitch-oriented suspension system

1 Like

what about epoxying countersunk bolts in the deck and then to take the enclosure on and off you just remove the nut
bolts are stronger then inserts

2 Likes