Weird theories and ideas thread! any ideas welcome

Heyo!
I love my meepo hubs soooo much but their thane isn’t as high quality as brand wheels. So It’s got me thinking would it be possible to do a remould with something like a torqueboard 100mm or 110mm wheels?

1 Like

An ice hopper heat sink.

Feed ice into a chamber that butts up next to the heat sink when esc is roast toasty to cool it down. Would only work on vertically mounted escs but whatever. Emtbs are better, fight me

1 Like

might as well water cool your board :smirk:

1 Like

another weird idea time:

• impact sensor that automatically (send a text / call for help)…etc after a certain amount of force is detected…

esc that has imu built in can probably do the detection part already, as long as there are code to support additional function

2 Likes

This is the cheap and lazy man’s way of doing it. I could totally keep a bottle of ice in a backpack.

1 Like

Definitely this. When I know I’m going for speed in an unpopulated area, I text my wife and tell her to call me in 45 minutes if I don’t text her first.

3 Likes

me and my friend also do that, but mostly when we r going towards each other’s place, we send a whatsapp 1hr live location message, so if we see a stop in certain location for too long, we either message or give a quick call to make sure shit is alright

3 Likes

Keep a little spray bottle of everclear on you and spray your heatsink

The TTL system has an input for a photoresistor for this purpose, but I have not implemented it in the code. In the start of the project, I played around with it and had it working somewhat, but I put it to the side to focus on other features. The issue I have to resolve when coming back to it is preventing the system from getting tricked by non-ideal situations like shadows and bright spots from surrounding lights.

Has anybody ever built a drive like Carvon once wanted to sell, a belt system that only allows accelerating, no braking but also no drag during coasting

I think it was one of their ideas they launched alongside direct drive and quickly dropped it due to it being very weird :smiley:

@MoeStooge 3 link channel trucks for us mtb riders who like speed

3 Likes

I was wondering the other day about the possibility of making an emergency brake for our esk8 that only activated when the brake input it’s at the max.

I feel that this brakes wouldn’t have to be very strong, so i see them like a last resort type of thing for people like me who lacks a little bit of torque.

To start the idea, i thought of using strong hobby airplane servos (5kg) to press a rubber piece against the rim of the wheel (bergs in my case) or to an aluminum plate that’s screwed to it!

For smaller wheels, adapters like the boardnamics m1’s are perfect as they are like press fit pulleys but with the ability to switch the gear for the aluminum plate I was talking about.

I have no idea about how I would make the servos actuate as I would ideally not want to carry another remote.

A kegel core blender attachment. For making frit. Or margaritas. Mostly margaritas.

2 Likes

After changing motors and gears around for the past couple weeks, i think it would be cool to see a heavy duty spring loaded keyway that would lock into the pinion, allowing you to change pinions out or swap motor set ups fast. something like the pic but using a keyway and not small ball bearings.

i doubt its possible since it hasn’t been made yet, but damn it would be nice.

3 Likes

Been thinking about thermals on a hot day, is there any reason not to paint top mount enclosures white or silver to reduce heat absorption from the sun (aside from looks)? It could probably keep temperatures lower a few degrees, and more the longer it sits out.

1 Like

I was worried about this with my big black box but have noticed after I ride for a minute or 2, it’s already cooled back down. Sitting in the sun, I could definitely see a benefit.

I could run a test side by side and measure esc temp in a shady spot and a sunny spot but I just took the board apart to move the esc to a heat sink up top because…

Thermals :expressionless:

1 Like

Yeah, my ESC sits in a completely sealed box with no heat sinks, and while I haven’t seen it overheat yet, the lid gets quite warm. There’s about 1" of air gap between the lid and the back of the ESC (not the heatsink side), so I reckon the sun is having a sizeable impact to ambient temperatures inside the box, especially if there’s no way to evacuate the heat once it gets in.

1 Like

Had a thought - so you know how non stainless hardware tends to rust over time? Coating with oil or wax would prevent rust, but also attract dirt and grime, but what about a spray of clearcoat for paint? It’s thin enough to not affect screw removal, isn’t wet so it dirt doesn’t stick on, relatively durable, and is next to invisible.

anyone noticed that b022 and b264 are awfully similar names? what if they’re the same person and have been fooling us all along

1 Like

Lmao that is funny but they definitely are different

I don’t remember if @frame was on builders or not back in the day

Also brian is US and michael is HK

1 Like