Watertight button for Vesc

Hey guys, can anyone recommend me a button thats works for the VESC 6 thats actually watertight? Bonus points for LEDs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hate to be that guy but I’m gonna be that guy

5 Likes

But loop keys aren’t watertight, are they? Thats why I’m going for a switch.

1 Like

this one can be either mom or latching, bunch of colour to choose from and also waterproof

u using it for trampa vesc?

search term Waterproof led mom switch in aliexpress

My favourite store is WANDU
all their switches are absolutely fantastic
here are 12mm ones, search the store for other sizes if you need

2 Likes

Yeah for the OG Trampa VESC, and in believe they are using latching switches. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, I will, I dont like 12mm too much, too small. 16mm is where it’s at.

1 Like

i just looked at how to wire a switch to a trampa vesc, damn, it uses like 3 ports for a dual drive :eyes:

Yeah, two for the master and one to the slave, had some moments figuring out how to do that. Especially because you need to tap into the power for the UART, so that was a lot of crimping. Now i need to do all that again because I realised that the Trampa switch isn’t watertight. :sob:

1 Like

QUALA-T switch u know :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Yeah idk why they dont offer a watertight one, I mean they’re not exactly that expensive. One would assume for a vendor who mostly focuses on mtb’s, water would be more of an issue, then again they use open loop keys, which is something I will never understand on something that gets run through the mud. One bad puddle and you get hella sparks.

Maybe all trampa customers only ride when the ground is dry, idk.

2 Likes

im guessing they don’t expect people to use a switch since they don’t even have a port just for the switch, dare i say they only think about a switch after they design the pcb, so there is nowhere to put a power which lead to this spaghetti wire mess just to hook up a switch :crazy_face:

1 Like

Yeah it really feels like the switch pin was an afterthought, maybe they adress this in further iterations of the VESC 6.

1 Like

They definitely are, if you use epoxy to install them and mind the small hole in the back between the electric connectors on the male side. Put epoxy on that. You can use a piece of paper also with epoxy on it, place that over the hole and then a tad more epoxy on top.

2 Likes

Bruh, I just had my skate in the garage hosing it off with water. Loopkeys can be very watertight. It all depends who installed it and whether they used epoxy or not. And put the male side on the board. It’s all in the details.

1 Like

Will look into it, thanks for the info. :+1:

We used loop keys on our Rc boats because they were basically watertight and couldn’t short out.

2 Likes

Yeah sounds compelling, I’ve just ordered a nice loop key from @SabreDynamics, we’ll see if it holds up. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks for your order, it’s going out today :metal:

If you follow @b264’s tips you should be fine regarding the waterproofing.

4 Likes