Vescovo Boards: Help us create the best board for you [SERIOUS]

Let’s not compare them to Momentum.

Same :+1:

2 Likes

Let’s not compare them to Momentum

Absolutely not. Just relating 3D printing…to Momentum Boards! Now, if Vescovo decides to skydive into 3D printing tar sands, is gonna be a Momentum snapshot either they like it or not.

1 Like

SpaceX’s SuperDraco engines are 3D printed. You can’t put down 3D printing without knowing what type of material is used, what method and what settings and how the parts themselves are designed.

I heavily use 3D printed parts on my boards, battery boxes, enclosures, handles, wheel hubs and wheel guards. They broke initially, but once I figured everything out they have been with me for more than a year without single failure.

9 Likes

Material is stated above? ABS and PLA. I do think it can be possible to 3d print. Also helicopter gear parts gets printed, but I believe it is in titanium.

1 Like

I have a couple comments for Vescovo and one for the commenters.

• You seem to be worried about protecting IP by not showing designs but you plan on sending out samples for test riding. You should look at my topic about protecting IP. Delivering samples could be considered a public release of the design.
    Protection of Intellectual Property

• A FEM can prevent structural failures from single overloads but skateboard parts, like most vehicle parts, fail in fatigue, not from exceeding the ultimate stress of the material. To design by analysis rather than testing you need complete fatigue analyses also. I gave a top level overview in these topics:
    Why vehicles break
    Why Vehicles Break Part Deux

Maybe/probably you knew all this. Feel free to ignore it.

For the commenters: Vescovo’s claim that parts can be designed to be structurally more efficient with additive manufacturing techniques is correct. I do not know whether they have been in this case but most of the additive manufactured parts we see use simple geometry that was originally developed for machined or cast metals. The fact that those have generally failed to date does not mean that it is a hopeless endeavor to do better with additive manufacturing. The great promise of additive manufacturing is that it is possible to put the material where it is needed rather than where it is not easily removed.

9 Likes

Truths being told here. I think there’s a lot of knee jerk to ‘printed X part’ because of the last decade of people overestimating the properties of low infill PLA prints on hobby printers.

I’m not saying that is the case here, but printed parts have been a mainstay in engineering for well over 15 years.

FDM does have limitations, but Nylon SLS and other types of high impact/strength resin on industrial printers can get surprisingly strong. In the past we’ve built humanoid robots with the frame and body consisting of printed nylon.

7 Likes

I heavily use 3D printed parts on my boards, battery boxes, enclosures, handles, wheel hubs and wheel guards. They broke initially, but once I figured everything out they have been with me for more than a year without single failure

Thing is, this guys are in the antipodes! Half around de world… think they are willing to replace complete boards, or even broken parts, and fulfill warranties? Costumers willing to send theirs at the opposite side of the planet, waiting for months, shipment fees, delays? … think not.

That my friend, is a 3D print Momentum about to happen if these guys don’t take it seriously with ample testing and embarking on a Vescovo demolition derby in order to make sure their 3D bet is safe and works.

3 Likes

They already have said that they are extensively testing the designs and will be sending parts for testing to people. Just because momentum boards did something their way doesn’t mean everyone else will. Let’s wait and watch the results of testing and we can give constructive feedback along the way.

4 Likes

Shapeways FTW. Half the 3D printed parts in the drones and cars in our lab is from shapeways-- nylon sls.

4 Likes

Oh hell yeah. Beating the shit out of the unit would be dope. With my luck i probably rip a belt within 50m.

Destroying stuff is my middle name. (Even though most of the times i don’t want it to break)

2 Likes

Have you ever visited their NYC facilities? Awesome folks. Worked with them a ton via 21st Century Robot Project + countless other projects. They still have unbeatable pricing for quick turnaround sls, it’s only been more recently that overseas mass printing options have caught up in pricing/quality tbh.

I got spoiled by Pier9 facilities last year though so it’s been a minute since I’ve had to order anything from them.

But yeah Shapeways gets top marks from me in regards to recommendations. They are a great company to work with too.

(Artisans Asylum circa 2013ish?)

Oh Sagan, sorry for the off-topic tangents OP. You’ve got a lot of additive manufacturing nerds here.

6 Likes

Not sure about 3D printed suspension components.

Get rid of the 25r cells. Move up to 21700 40Ts or moliceli 42a. Make it 12S4P or 3p. Will still have more capacity than the 10S4P you’re planning now.

6374 motors

1 Like

Just have seen their facility in videos. Seems like there is nylon dust everywhere. Yeah, their pricing is awesome and dimensional accuracy is really good. We used to use them a lot until we got a 25K stratasys machine which helped in rapidly iterating designs. I had no say in that, but I definitely think it is not worth that much money. You also have to buy their super expensive filaments. What do you recommend for even cheaper mass printing for SLS?

This thread already has a lot of discussions about 3D printed board parts so hopefully we are not derailing the discussion a lot.

1 Like

I’m still in the process of finding consistent manufacturers, and given the world’s chaos it’s slow going at the moment. I’m using Shapeways or my Prusa to prototype FreeSK8 remotes for the time being.

5 Likes

A big thanks to the community for being welcoming, and constructive in your responses. And @BillGordon for generously providing this opportunity to share. This was a really successful co-creation. We asked for some advice, and you really delivered it!!!

We’re clearly not hitting ‘the mark’, but I feel we will get closer as we progress through some of the flaws and challenges you’ve highlighted. These key themes will be the focus in the short term; battery cell type and size, perceived durability, increasing ride height, and drive train improvements. And sharing more real world testing we are doing, including updates to the test plan to include more.

We will work through balancing these updates and trying to stick with our mantra to bring affordable, quality and capable products to the community and the market. Look forward to sharing in the future.

Be Free. Be Vescovo. You’re awesome! Thanks. Chris and Rob.

P.S. Please keep sending us any messages of guidance or advice that you can think of. If you have ideas, or want to contribute, we’re really open to it, so just shoot us a message.

10 Likes

As far as I can see, you’re definitely on the right path by doing this. Keep doing it man :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I think your design looks really sweet, and I like how the board is set up for two different modes. But I think the 3D printed parts should be left with the prototypes. What if you attacked a different market segment, with all billet aluminum parts? 3D printing is great for rapid prototyping or things that aren’t in tough environments. But as the main structural pieces I personally wouldn’t be able to trust my life into it. If you were to use plastics I feel like it would be worth getting the molds made so you can have glass fiber reinforced nylon parts. Those I might able to trust.

1 Like

true.
Truth be told I’m one of those knee jerkers. I’m happy to be shown otherwise

However… I don’t think I can ever feel comfortable on plastic trucks. Ever. Is that wierd? We smash metal trucks all the time. Plastic? No way, not for me. I don’t have the prettiest face, but I like it’s current configuration. I thought we learned about plastic trucks with with the MBS plastic baseplates (which MBS says is fine :poop:) and LiftBoards crap.

cool looking board though :+1:

3 Likes

Titanium prints are somerthing else… That stuff costs more than the boards you sell hahahaha.

Its stronger than milled titanium actually.

2 Likes