Vescovo Boards: Help us create the best board for you [SERIOUS]

Hey All,

I’m Chris from Vescovo Boards, and I’m building on my passion of engineering and mountain shredding to try and bring the esk8 community a great product, so I’ve designed and built this; https://www.vescovoboards.com/electricmountainboard. Vescovo Boards are focused on creating happy faces and getting people riding our boards!

We want to co-create with you; the community, experts, and ultimately the best judges of what a good board is. We’d love your help, by sharing your thoughts and feedback on this forum, we appreciate it a lot, and welcome it! We’ve got a couple of questions below about ride height to kick off some of the co-creation. Look forward to your feedback.

Glad to be here!
Be Free. Be Vescovo. You’re awesome, thanks!
Chris

P.S. We will soon be looking for 10 riders to join the ‘Vescovan tribe’ as partners for research and development. If you wanted to get in early and show some interest, comment below.

14 Likes

Have you seen the board? Great!

Got some time for feedback on ride height - how high or how low will meet your needs?

Right now our board sits at 7 inches (175mm off the ground, like a normal size house step). At this height, the ground clearance is 3 and 3/4 inches (95mm). When cruising, you compress the suspension about 1 inch, so the board height is 6 inches (just less than a normal stair). If you hit a bump, and completely compress the suspension, the ground clearance is about 1 and 1/4 inches (~30mm) off the ground.

1. What’s your current board height when cruising?
  2. What kind of trails are you hitting?
  3. What’s more important for your riding style?

We are trying to balance the feel of the board, keeping it low and stable, easy to get onto, comfortable for all riders, yet have enough clearance to hit the trails and run over rocks.

3 Likes

Hey all-

We’ve been having staff discussions on how we greet vendors in our community. For the most part, we’re as welcoming to vendors as piranhas are to cows. We’d like that to change, so we’re going to make all new vendor posts [SERIOUS] and try to be more constructive than merely critical.

So ask your tough questions, but please do it in a somewhat respectful manner. Appreciate everyone’s help in this new approach.

34 Likes

What kind of boards are you planning on making? What’s your target demographic ?

2 Likes

Oh wow. Buckle up dude, be prepared. Good luck.

13 Likes

I’m not gonna have a lot to say here because I have bad experiences with Baja and this style of board. But I will say this…

None of my problems with the Baja had anything to do with ride height/clearance, and everything to do with the sheer amount of breakable parts in the suspension and drive system.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree with this type of suspension, but I wish you luck on your journey.

16 Likes

They linked them up above. Maybe they’ll add some pictures here as well.

1 Like

Killjoy

2 Likes

Naw, it needed to happen. All credit to @zach for the idea.

8 Likes

Welcome to the forum! It’s probably very difficult to start up a esk8 business especially if you haven’t had prior background here, but it’s definitely possible. Just to warn you, if you’re new and making bold claims without backing it up with research and knowledge or generally give up on us as customers then we will bite. We bite hard. We are a community built on trust and shared knowledge, that is key. If you’re willing to make mistakes, own up to them, and learn from them then you will do fine. Do not be discouraged if we harass you, we’ve had lots of experience with vendors doing us wrong. Keep with it and don’t forget why you started in the first place.

Will you be sticking to the Baja style boards? Or are you planning on building different types? Because on your site, you claim a light weight is one of your goals but that’s pretty impossible with that kind of board, but interested if you’ve found a way around it.

11 Likes

How are the longevity/strength of the 3d printed “complex components”? Sounds like these would be the breakpoints.

6 Likes

HI @Jc06505n, thanks for your questions. You can check out the board on the site.

We recognized most the time people cruise it’s on the streets or footpaths, so we wanted to make a board that could be comfortable for that, but also hit that off road mountain bike trail. We designed the geometry of the suspension to enable both, so you can drop out the shocks, and put the solid mounts in to ride low and cruise the streets with soft, pneumatic tyres. We focused on making this as light as possible to make this plausible as well.

For those harder off road rides, we wanted flexibility in the suspension, mainly to ride alongside mountain bike trails and ‘fire trails’ in the bush, where the damping would give you a stable, comfortable ride.

We’re definitely targeting the upper end of the on road boards, and trying to come in to the off road market with a capable, but affordable option. We don’t want to limit you on the streets, which is where we think most of the time is spent cruising. Hope that helps? Thanks for the question.

1 Like

From the photos, the belt drive looks to be enclosed. Is it? That’s a plus over the Baja already.

10s4p battery? Why so small?

Flipsky ESC? :grimacing:

5 Likes

Also your price range seems pretty decent for what you claim. Range seems to be a shortfall but I’m sure there are plans for more capacity boards.

I’ve never ridden a board through trails, so I’ll refer you to the only 2 people I can think of in my high ass state: @RyuX and @Skyart

For that price, I’d honestly love to try it out and buy it. I hated the bajaboard because it was so goddamn heavy and I felt like a tank and it didn’t fit in the back of my civic

1 Like

Hey @glyphiks, appreciate the questions. Could you share these bad experiences? We want to make sure we can try and solve these for you in our board?

Thanks for the feedback on the ground clearance! Yes there are a lot of parts in these kind of suspension designs. What parts worry you the most?

The geometry of the board is also designed to enable you to ‘lock out’ the suspension as well. What are your thoughts on this?

2 Likes

All of them. I managed to break nearly every part of the baja suspension/drive train more than once.

As I have said to Baja and will now say to you, apologies but I have no constructive criticism for a system I have no belief in.

8 Likes

Hey @badname (nice name).

We call them ‘complex’ because of the geometry and the printing techniques. Really it just means that we can design the parts to have a significantly larger geometry, but without the weight, and put material where it is really needed. The geometry of the parts contribute a significant amount to the localized stresses. So we went for larger geometries (like a big cross section in the control arm), but was able to print them with a honeycomb structure in the inside, and a solid shell on the outside.

We’re doing verification testing of all components now. Got any tips/thoughts on what kind of content or videos could help you build confidence in the strength?

2 Likes

@Chris_Vescovo

Are all those parts 3d printed??? I am looking closer into the photos and they don’t look metal?

Are they gonna be 3d printed for the final product?

1 Like

Get one of those vibrating metal plates that they use for flattening dirt for roads and stuff, put a chunk of wood in-between to distribute the load, let it run for a while

1 Like

Hey @Jujo

I completely agree on the price. That’s why I started designing this ~18 months ago. Thanks for showing your interest, we’d love to get you on a board when we can.

What kind of range would help you build some confidence? We use the Samsung 25R cell now (mainly for price…and current capabilities), but there are the VTC6 and Q30 cells that could help increase this.

1 Like