VESC-Tool 2.04: FW 5 >> A BIG STEP FORWARD

Seems like you are connected to the Unity. What happens if you hit “pair”?

Edit: Try to delete all previously connected VESCs in paired list. After that, try to pair the current VESC/Unity.

Deleting VESCs in the paired list is what causes this problem, I think. I would not do that, or at least save the UUIDs before you do.

Recently, I could not connect new MK IV VESCs to the VESC app to run motor detection.

I deleted all previously paired VESCs from a MTB. After that I could pair the MK IV. I supect @Chase problem could be similar if he has previously paired VESCs saved in the app.

Edit: I am not sure if this is a bug in the app.

1 Like

This happened because I deleted all vescs in pairing list. It warned me but I was being stupid on the fly and did it. As soon as the pop-up message goes away it automatically disconnected you so when you hit pair it doesn’t work. Whatever the case be, I plugged it into the USB and fixed it.

2 Likes

Bit of an odd one: one of my motors spins backwards in hfi sometimes.
Specifically if it has been sitting for a while or stopped without braking all the way. This manifests in my back truck trying to turn while not accelerating.

I changed phase wires around, increased or decreased all parameters in the hfi tab, yet nothing but a hip flick fixes it.

What am i doing wrong?

1 Like

I don’t think you’re doing anything wrong. Sometimes that happens.

I would recommend saving the values you have now, and retuning the HFI and often that will fix it.

Also, for me, motor temperature has a lot to do with how well HFI works. When my motors get hot, HFI performance degrades drastically.

2 Likes

Does that imply that HFI is not really an option for offroad MTB riding? I mean as soon as you ride uphill offroad for 5-10 minutes or so motors usually are around or above 60°C (140 Fahrenheit)?

HFI is only for applying throttle at exactly 0.00km/h. At any other speed, it’s not needed and usually not even turned on above 2000erpm. It should be fine.

I just notice that when motors get hot it works much worse. I bet that if I tuned it while they were hot, my results have a chance of being different. But I don’t know, it’s just what I’ve observed.

4 Likes

Mine seem to perform good at all temperatures, they just can’t get the direction quite right

Also, i seem to have found a pretty quiet spot:
30khz switching frequency
32 hfi samples
2/4v start/max voltages (with the start still being at 20v)
Erpm at 1000

Is there a limit to how high switching frequency can be?

1 Like

I noticed this behaviour when I played around and decreased the ”Sensorless ERPM HFI”. I think I had to stay above 1500 to avoid this… but that might also depend on the setup.

2 Likes

But they spin backwards (both motors randomly i noticed now) from standstill.
Lower erpm seems better even, as soon as one motor shoots over the erpm they both catch on with the observer in the right direction.
Pretty scared to bottom out 160 motor amps to properly test launching for now…

Yes, but I’m not sure what it is. If you start getting the Watchdog fault then it’s too high.

1 Like

I haven’t changed the “samples” number. What differences have you noticed this to cause?

Also what motor is that, because that makes a big difference as well.

1 Like

Hmm… what does that look like? Self recovering like overcurrent? Cutout? Motors shitting themselves?

Samples, don’t really know, but it changes the sound. 25khz with 8(?) Samples sounds like that sound tone when a channel is not broadcasting and displays the calibration screen
30khz with 32 samples vibrates a lot more but makes the sound a mild high pitch.

Motors are from anubis flipsky group buy, 6374 170kv. They scream like hell in foc (to my linking) but can’t seem to make the sensors work :frowning:

2 Likes

I think it will recover but then might fault again? because the root cause would be too much load on the MCU resources.

2 Likes

Someone with full armor gear test this pls.

Next dumb question: are all hardware iterations (by that i mean 6.xx for example) using the same microcontroller? Does a trampa vesc potentially have a more powerful processor than a Flipshit ?

Yes, No

4 Likes

Something interesting…

3 Likes

can someone tell me if they successfully set up a dual maytech 4.12 vesc canbus with the firmware 5.0 ?.
since I can’t use the foc mode I still do the motor detection and everything is working fine. so after I go back in the motor setting then I set the motor to bldc mode and the problem begin and i only get one motor working, , i also try to do it manually for each vesc but i still have same problem , but if i use ackmaniac I don’t have this problem

@Trampa In order to set the “duty cycle current limit start” to 85% as described here > https://youtu.be/f1tHcxZu650 on both VESCs, do I also have to do the “Can forwarding” step or can I skip this step on a Stormcore 60D and only set it once?