VESC-Tool 2.04: FW 5 >> A BIG STEP FORWARD

I haven’t changed the “samples” number. What differences have you noticed this to cause?

Also what motor is that, because that makes a big difference as well.

1 Like

Hmm… what does that look like? Self recovering like overcurrent? Cutout? Motors shitting themselves?

Samples, don’t really know, but it changes the sound. 25khz with 8(?) Samples sounds like that sound tone when a channel is not broadcasting and displays the calibration screen
30khz with 32 samples vibrates a lot more but makes the sound a mild high pitch.

Motors are from anubis flipsky group buy, 6374 170kv. They scream like hell in foc (to my linking) but can’t seem to make the sensors work :frowning:

2 Likes

I think it will recover but then might fault again? because the root cause would be too much load on the MCU resources.

2 Likes

Someone with full armor gear test this pls.

Next dumb question: are all hardware iterations (by that i mean 6.xx for example) using the same microcontroller? Does a trampa vesc potentially have a more powerful processor than a Flipshit ?

Yes, No

4 Likes

Something interesting…

3 Likes

can someone tell me if they successfully set up a dual maytech 4.12 vesc canbus with the firmware 5.0 ?.
since I can’t use the foc mode I still do the motor detection and everything is working fine. so after I go back in the motor setting then I set the motor to bldc mode and the problem begin and i only get one motor working, , i also try to do it manually for each vesc but i still have same problem , but if i use ackmaniac I don’t have this problem

@Trampa In order to set the “duty cycle current limit start” to 85% as described here > https://youtu.be/f1tHcxZu650 on both VESCs, do I also have to do the “Can forwarding” step or can I skip this step on a Stormcore 60D and only set it once?

That is a question to @Deodand.

2 Likes

@Trampa
In case the vesc tool ui is in the works, is there any chance that the current, erpm, duty, power and speed gauges be filled in with positive and negative values the vesc is actually set up to do?
For example, reversing would only ever do about -5km/hr with smart reverse, yet it clutters the circle all the way to -80, identical to positive.
For amps, at 80 and -55 it shows 160 both ways, etc.

Also some information about which values on which page represent individual vesc or the sum of all on canbus, would be helpful!

Also also, moarr colours! Green, blue, red gauges, black background, white background, give it to us!

2 Likes

You need to set both sides.

4 Likes

Would it be possible to add so you can use thermistors that’s connected to temp in and 5v instead of temp in and GND? I have no idea if its possible just asking. Got some APS motors and the damn things got the temp sensor to 5v instead of GND :roll_eyes: Not to tempted to tear down the whole drive and mount another termistor when there is one already.

1 Like

Snip the temp wires, run it like you stole it. Anything over 6355 won’t melt unless you absolutely abuse the shit out of it
Even 6355’s don’t complain at 60 motor amps on pneumatics

1 Like

ye I know its 6384 so not really worried as I am limited to 30bat A per motor anyway :slight_smile: I run 80A and they are pretty cool but still a good protection to have.

1 Like

Plenty of margins there. At 80A dual you can climb stair ramps as long as you have traction lol

and I still feel they lack the acceleration compared to my ‘‘old’’ belt drive with 6374 192kv :joy:

1 Like

Changed gearing? Kv?
Bump those amps
At anything but low speed you will be limited anyway
Also, my motor size upgrade seems to suck in more power, yet it’s geared to have only 0.7km/hr bonus top speed so there’s that

I feel like some motors bite the board straight from under you while others have a slower start but i can’t quite explain why? Torque should be similar, it’s just how fast the vesc decides it can accelerate without losing track of the magnets. Dunno…

Hmm yea considering it but unsure on how much I dare to bump it (really don’t want to fry another unity lol) the motors are under 50c after 7km of hard riding in the woods so they can definitely take more.

Lower kv but geared for a bit higher top speed (not many option on the 3DS eco)

1 Like

Try it out and document for us

After all there’s cheap unities at massive wanker dot com right now

Thinking of trying out fw5 again on my unity with another build to see if I have the same issues…

Is there a new version of vesc tool or is this just because it’s still being tested?

Is this just mad because it’s unity FW or because of above?

Which unity FW is recommended @trampa?